Car won't start...yes, another one of these!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 09:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car won't start...yes, another one of these!

NOTE: The way I originally described it was that the car would crank but wouldn't turn over. The car would make the same sound all cars do when we turn the ignition (crank) but the engine doesn't start (turn over). When I had the car towed today, the AAA guy told me the car turns over fine but it just won't catch so I guess I wasn't using the correct terminology.

About two weeks ago, I went for a ride and shut off the car for about 20 minutes. When I got back in the car, the car would turn over but just wouldn't catch. I kept on trying and the car finally started about five tries later. I then went to a restaurant and when I came out, the car started on the first try so I didn't think anything of it. Twenty minutes later I get to my kids school and go inside to pick them up. When we get back to the car, it happens again. This time it took 5-10 minutes of trying before the car finally started.

I had this happen to me about six times in about a four day period. I noticed that the immobilizer key light would flash after I finally got it started a couple of those times so I think it may be the chip in my key. I tried my spare and valet but this would also happen with those keys.

I brought it to the dealership and their diagnosis was that it was the spark plugs. They pulled one plugs and said (1) I have the wrong plugs - they were a step colder and (2) it looked a little foul. I told them I got the colder plugs for the supercharger and haven't had any issues for the last 30k miles. I didn't think the plugs would be that bad in such a short time so I decided to take it to another shop. BTW - The dealership quoted $500+ to change the plugs!

The other shop said it was the immobilizer receiver so I ended up changing that. It's was fine for a few days until today. When I went to the gym, the car wouldn't catch. I tried a second time and the car started. After the gym, I had the same problem. After about 15 minutes of trying, I called AAA.

The AAA guy told me he doesn't think it's the battery, alternator or starter as the car turns over fine. He said it could be a fuel pump or maybe even bad coils. The car's back at the shop (not dealership) but they won't be able to look at it until Monday.

I can't help but think it still has something to do with the immobilizer unit. Why else would the immobilizer key light flash while the car is running? I'm ruling out the chip in the keys as all three will experience this. Is there another part besides the immobilizer receiver?

Need some help here...any ideas?
Old 02-09-2011, 09:14 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
$500 for a spark plug change? That's more than $400 in labour...

You may be onto something with the immobilizer reciever. I'd change that first if I were you. I imagine it would be cheaper than changing a fuel pump.

Sorry if this is a teensy bit OT: If turning over is the car trying to start, and catching is the actual "start", what's crank? The same as turning over?
Old 02-09-2011, 09:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Aman
$500 for a spark plug change? That's more than $400 in labour...
I was thinking the same. Plugs will cost me $60. It doesn't take THAT long to take out the supercharger!

You may be onto something with the immobilizer reciever. I'd change that first if I were you. I imagine it would be cheaper than changing a fuel pump.
I already had the immobilizer receiver changed out so I'm wondering if there's another part to the immobilizer system.

Sorry if this is a teensy bit OT: If turning over is the car trying to start, and catching is the actual "start", what's crank? The same as turning over?
No idea. I always thought cranking was the sound you hear when you turn the key and when the car started, it "turned over". Maybe the AAA had the terminology wrong?
Old 02-09-2011, 09:56 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
Read this thread, might help (starting at post #37):

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/07-tl-wont-start-shift-park-801058/
Old 02-10-2011, 06:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Thanks nfn...I'll stop by the shop this weekend and play around with the car.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Updated for reference...

Turns out to be a bad pin (25A ???) on my AEM FIC harness so the immobilizer signal would never reach the ECU. They bypassed the harness and just connected that one wire directly to the ECU.