Car stalled out on highway, won't restart

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009 | 12:53 PM
Intermediate

Unhappy Car stalled out on highway, won't restart

2006 TL, 54,000 miles manual transmission

I've never had a problem with my car until last night. I drove for about 30 miles and my car just stalled out while going about 60 mph, so I pulled over to the side. There was an error on my screen on the dash that said "CHECK TPMS SYSTEM". All the gauges and lights still worked, even my radio was still on, the engine was just cut out on me. I get out and open the hood and look into if there's a problem with the car, didn't see anything obviously. So I check my tire pressure, but I'm not sure if that would just totally shut down my car like that. Tire pressures are fine and I restart the car and it runs fine and then about 10 miles later, the same thing happens. I stop and restart it and continue on with a check engine light on, but that goes away after about a mile. I know I shouldn't really continue on, but I had to get some where and would check into the problem later. Then finally, I'm going up a hill, and with no indication, the car stalls out again and this time it won't restart. The TPMS error didn't show up this time, but all gauges and lights worked fine. I try to restart it and the engine won't fire. The starter motor runs and I can also hear the fuel pump start up, but the engine won't get any fuel.

It's currently at an auto body shop that will put it on the diagnostic computer they have to try and figure out the problem.

I did some reading through my manual today at work and noticed the following:
This indicator also blinks several
times when you turn the ignition
switch from the ON (II) position to
the ACCESSORY (I) or the LOCK
(0) position.
This indicator comes on for a few
seconds when you turn the ignition
switch to the ON (II) position. It then
goes off if you have inserted a
properly-coded ignition key. If it is
not a properly-coded key, the
indicator will blink and the engine
will not start (see page ).
Immobilizer System
Indicator
It refers to a green key symbol on the dash display. I took a video last night of myself trying to start the car and can see this symbol flash on the display.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUV2j02ulN0

Is this my problem identified? Does my car think I'm trying to steal it while I'm driving? I've only used one key and the fact this happens just so randomly boggles my mind.

If you have any ideas why this happened or can offer a way to fix it, I would very much appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance,

Dan
Old 06-16-2009 | 02:30 PM
Intermediate

Also, could this be the a problem with the key itself possibly? I read that it gives an electronic signal to the car that is used to start it. It seems like my key is not working right in giving this signal. Could that be what is causing it to cut fuel?
Old 06-16-2009 | 03:02 PM
Senior Moderator

That really does look like an issue with the immoblizer unit. You would probably have to take your car to the dealer if it's under warranty, if not, then hunting it down is going to be a PITA.

also there was a fuse box recall on 05's that caused a no start/stall condition:
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/05-013-recall-2005-tl-vin-break-572589/

Try to see if the dealer will perform it and see if it helps
Old 06-17-2009 | 09:49 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by csmeance
That really does look like an issue with the immoblizer unit. You would probably have to take your car to the dealer if it's under warranty, if not, then hunting it down is going to be a PITA.

also there was a fuse box recall on 05's that caused a no start/stall condition:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=572589

Try to see if the dealer will perform it and see if it helps
Thank you. My car is a 2006 and not in the VIN ranges posted, so I'm not sure if that is my problem, but thank you for brining it to my attention. My car is not under warranty so, yeah it will be a pain. It really does seem like the immobilizer unit in the car. Everything mechanically seems to be working just fine, but something is stopping my car from starting. And the fact this stalling only happened on an incline has me even more confused.

Is it possible that my key is messed up? The keys send an electronic signal to the car that is a code for it to start up. I might try my other master key to see if that works.

I appreciate anyone else's insite into my problem that they can offer.
Old 06-18-2009 | 04:55 AM
Advanced

i guess u can try disconnecting the battery to reset the ecu. hope u get this problem fix .
Old 06-18-2009 | 03:53 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 07 TL
i guess u can try disconnecting the battery to reset the ecu. hope u get this problem fix .
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I tried this while I was broken down on the highway. Disconnected the positive and waited a good 5 min and reconnected.

UPDATE: The dealer found out what was wrong. The computer was totally fried they said. Really weird. They're gonna replace it, but I'm wondering if this will really fix my problem. What caused the computer to fry like this out of the blue? I really hope this is the fix and whatever caused it is gone. Anyone have this kind of problem before?
Old 06-18-2009 | 04:08 PM
Racer

are they fixing under good will consideration?
Old 06-18-2009 | 04:34 PM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Wow thats weird, hopefully they fix it. That would suck if that kept happening, stalling on the highway over and over, I would be pissed lol