Car movement with e-brake up?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 07:58 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car movement with e-brake up?

hey guys

i just bought a 2008 TL-S (CPO from dealer). i noticed something that i wanted to get some feedback on.

let's say i stop the car on a slight incline or downward ramp, put it in Park, lift the e-brake, and let my foot off the brake (standard parking procedure) -- is it normal that the car kinda jolts a little when i let my foot off? feels like it's setting into place.

i've owned a lot of hondas/acuras in the past, and whenever i lift the parking brake, the car shouldn't move anymore...right? or is this something new with the TL?

i know i'm lifting the handle a good distance up. i feel the resistance.

any thoughts?
Old 12-27-2010, 08:04 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Do the same with it in neutral and see of the parking brake stops it. It might not be holding and rocking back onto the parking pawl.

If the brake is adjusted correctly (plenty of tension in the arm), you can try breaking in the e-brake shoes. The 5at TLs only get the brake set when the car is stationary so the brake shoes never break in. They must be broken in just like any pad or shoe for maximum holding power. Try lightly applying it for a few seconds at a time while driving. After a few applications braking power will go up a bit.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:25 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good idea and good test.

when in neutral, e-brake up, brake off, the car slides. it has almost no effect! that's definitely not normal IMO.

should i take it to dealer to get adjusted?
Old 12-27-2010, 10:13 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Originally Posted by darobcop
good idea and good test.

when in neutral, e-brake up, brake off, the car slides. it has almost no effect! that's definitely not normal IMO.

should i take it to dealer to get adjusted?
Yes, for a CPO car. Tell them you want the parking brake shoes inspected and then a full parking brake adjustment performed. Do a search for "p-brake" and/or "parking brake". The scans for adjustment procedures have been posted before.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:15 PM
Former Whiner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
always take it to the dealer if it's under warranty.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:27 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
You'd think that the parking brake would be one of the things that would be checked for a car to be CPO'd.

Maybe it's like IHC said and the shoes. just aren't broken in? Try taking it for another test drive and break the shoes in like he said, and then try it. The car's only 3 years old and is an AT, the parking brake's probably never been used.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:30 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Aman
You'd think that the parking brake would be one of the things that would be checked for a car to be CPO'd....
Yep, makes me wonder what else they glossed over in their so called "CPO checklist"....
Old 12-28-2010, 05:19 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I noticed this too in my car...must try when I get the chance.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:17 AM
HASTA LA VICTORIA'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have the same issue, put i believe there isnt enough tension in the ebrake line.. does anyone know how to adjust it?
Old 12-28-2010, 09:12 AM
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
I've definitely noticed the same in my car and have been meaning to offer it up to the forum for some opinion.

My e-brake sucks. It very clearly doesn't effectively keep the car from rolling if I'm on any incline of significance. My normal parking procedure is to park, put the car in nuetral, pull the ebrake, let the car "rest" on the ebrake, and then put the car in park and turn it off. But if I'm on an incline then I have no choice put to let the car "rest" in gear (park). I hope this makes sense.

However, here's my kicker. If I park on an ascending incline (where the car would roll backwards) and I set the ebrake then the car will roll. It will not stop and the ebrake doesn't effectively hold the car. It WILL hold a little bit, but not to stop it. In this situation I have no choice but to leave my car resting in gear. If I park on a descending incline (car would roll forward) and put the car in nuetral and pull the ebrake, then the car will roll just a little bit, and then catch. I know it's not the park gear catching because, obviously, I'm in nuetral. But I don't know why it would catch rolling forward and not backward. Any thoughts? Hopefully this isn't bad for my car. I don't like to leave my car resting in gear, so whenever I'm parking on a hill I try to park so the car will roll forward.

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:18 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by dano4o8
I noticed this too in my car...must try when I get the chance.
Originally Posted by cipdagr3at
I have the same issue, put i believe there isnt enough tension in the ebrake line.. does anyone know how to adjust it?
Originally Posted by jsonkimz
I've definitely noticed the same in my car and have been meaning to offer it up to the forum for some opinion.

My e-brake sucks. It very clearly doesn't effectively keep the car from rolling if I'm on any incline of significance. My normal parking procedure is to park, put the car in nuetral, pull the ebrake, let the car "rest" on the ebrake, and then put the car in park and turn it off. But if I'm on an incline then I have no choice put to let the car "rest" in gear (park). I hope this makes sense.

However, here's my kicker. If I park on an ascending incline (where the car would roll backwards) and I set the ebrake then the car will roll. It will not stop and the ebrake doesn't effectively hold the car. It WILL hold a little bit, but not to stop it. In this situation I have no choice but to leave my car resting in gear. If I park on a descending incline (car would roll forward) and put the car in nuetral and pull the ebrake, then the car will roll just a little bit, and then catch. I know it's not the park gear catching because, obviously, I'm in nuetral. But I don't know why it would catch rolling forward and not backward. Any thoughts? Hopefully this isn't bad for my car. I don't like to leave my car resting in gear, so whenever I'm parking on a hill I try to park so the car will roll forward.

Thanks for the help.
Welcome to you new guys. Please learn to use the Search function to your advantage. Here's a couple of links you would have found had you done a search as suggested in post #4:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...10&postcount=2

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...hlight=p-brake

And here's the full scan just because I'm such a nice guy

Last edited by nfnsquared; 12-28-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:16 AM
Team Owner

Thanks for the help.
That's a characteristic of a drum brake. It's self energizing in forward but not in reverse. You have to have everything perfect for it to hold in reverse. It will always be better in forward.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:34 PM
contrarian in fashion

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
ROB!!! hahaha!

the no0b (OP) is my cousin
Old 12-29-2010, 07:34 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Welcome to you new guys. Please learn to use the Search function to your advantage. Here's a couple of links you would have found had you done a search as suggested in post #4:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...10&postcount=2

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...hlight=p-brake

And here's the full scan just because I'm such a nice guy

I don't see the harm in posting a question in an already created thread with questions related to the topic. I always search before I ask a question. What's the harm in asking in an already created thread. The search function is useful and should be used but is not the "be all, end all" in questions that people would like answered. I had this question and asked in a thread related to the topic. I didn't create another thread asking the same thing.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:00 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by I hate cars
That's a characteristic of a drum brake. It's self energizing in forward but not in reverse. You have to have everything perfect for it to hold in reverse. It will always be better in forward.
Interesting. I'm not really familiar with drum brake characteristics but I'm assuming it's not a problem for that to be what's holding me. I would like to know why my ebrake won't stick though. It's not a big issue for me to always park on a deline, but I would like for my ebrake to pull tight and hold the car. I know I can tighten it but I'm wondering if my ebrake pad isn't worn somehow.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:28 AM
Team Owner

Interesting. I'm not really familiar with drum brake characteristics but I'm assuming it's not a problem for that to be what's holding me. I would like to know why my ebrake won't stick though. It's not a big issue for me to always park on a deline, but I would like for my ebrake to pull tight and hold the car. I know I can tighten it but I'm wondering if my ebrake pad isn't worn somehow.
It's probably not broken in. Imagine you replace your normal brake pads but you only apply them when you're already stopped. There's no way they can break in. It's the same with the e-brake. If the cable has sufficient tension and it stil doesn't hold, try holding the brake on for a few seconds at a time, repeat 5-6 times.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:38 AM
Pro

I'll give that a shot. What if someone were to accidently drive with the ebrake engaged? I would imagine that would wear the pad down quickly. I bought the car used so I can't know for sure if that had been done, although I would be surprised. That's something I would think a person would notice.

If what you said doesn't work then I may try to tighten the cable.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:04 AM
Team Owner

I'll give that a shot. What if someone were to accidently drive with the ebrake engaged? I would imagine that would wear the pad down quickly. I bought the car used so I can't know for sure if that had been done, although I would be surprised. That's something I would think a person would notice.

If what you said doesn't work then I may try to tighten the cable.

You will get a warning on the mid when you pull the brake with it moving. There is not much pad material when new so if it does not work after a while I wouldn't do anymore. You will probably smell them when they heat up but its ok.