Can anyone tell where this leak comes from?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 08:16 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
I ordered the seal last night from AcuraOEMparts along with EVERY nut and bolt the FSM says to replace. Total cost was $132 with shipping. The seal was $7.88. I ordered two...

I'm heading up there to get my car now. And probably leave a little bit of my mind, too.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:41 AM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by nfnsquared
That's not what the TSB says to do on pg 8. If they followed the TSB, then the car did leave the ground.

It all depends on how you do the recall. 240sx indeed does it without leaving the ground, and if I remember correctly, gets it done in about 20-35 mins depending on year. I on the other hand do take it off the ground, and it usually takes me about 40-45 mins. We each have our different ways. Bottom line is though, as long as we're replacing the hose, and the o-ring, it shouldn't really matter how it's done, as long as nothing is damaged or not replaced (that should be replaced), during the process.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:56 PM
Instructor

I agree. So long as nothing is damaged and all of the parts are replaced per the TSB, there should be no problems. BUT, the TSB DOES state in step #19 that the metal line section of the new feed hose should NOT be bent or scratched. Now, we all know that a slight kink in the line to get it past the motor mount shouldn't cause any problems immediately or even in the future. BUT, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration approved this TSB as written and would likely not agree with these lazy practices. I work on corporate aircraft and the FAA would shit a golden brick if they found us splicing cut wires or bending hydraulic lines just to "get-er-done." And I really don't appreciate techs taking that attitude toward my car.

Anyway, I have the transmission of my car sitting on the shop floor and haven't had to bend or break any parts. I'm going to start a new thread on the rear main seal R&R. Hopefully it will help someone out one day.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:43 AM
Instructor

I finished the replacement of my rear main seal and have driven ~80 miles. So far, no leaks. I'll be working up a letter to the NHTSA and Acura Client Services to let them know about the way my situation was handled. Look for my pics and write-up on the seal replacement soon.
And for anyone who thinks this can't be done wthout a lift, I'd beg to differ. I used a floor jack, 2 jack stands and an engine hoist. I didn't even use air tools very much. It took me considerably longer to do the job than the dealer would have taken, BUT I know exactly where my car has been and what was done to it in the past week. NO surprises. I figure I saved myself at least $400 since the private shop quoted me $585. I replaced EVERY nut and bolt and seal that the FSM called to be replaced. Dealer wanted over $1100 to drop the trans and replace the seal. Those hacks couldn't even replace a PS hose without cobbing it up.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:19 AM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
NE -

I'll def give you props for doing that without a lift and use of many air tools. I would never want to attempt something like that without the above, but then again, I'm used to having that available Sorry again though that your dealership gave you a bad experience. Sadly there are more horror stories on here then postive ones, but I guess it's like that old saying "piss off one person, he'll tell 100 people. Make one person happy, you're lucky if they tell one person".

That said though, good job getting that done all on your own I hope everything continues to go well, and maybe, if you actually need/choose to go back to a dealership again, you'll find one that you like. Too bad you're not local and could come to our dealership!
Old 01-29-2010, 09:15 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by NE14RoxCJ
I finished the replacement of my rear main seal and have driven ~80 miles. So far, no leaks. I'll be working up a letter to the NHTSA and Acura Client Services to let them know about the way my situation was handled. Look for my pics and write-up on the seal replacement soon.
And for anyone who thinks this can't be done wthout a lift, I'd beg to differ. I used a floor jack, 2 jack stands and an engine hoist. I didn't even use air tools very much. It took me considerably longer to do the job than the dealer would have taken, BUT I know exactly where my car has been and what was done to it in the past week. NO surprises. I figure I saved myself at least $400 since the private shop quoted me $585. I replaced EVERY nut and bolt and seal that the FSM called to be replaced. Dealer wanted over $1100 to drop the trans and replace the seal. Those hacks couldn't even replace a PS hose without cobbing it up.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:27 PM
Instructor

I DO understand that not all dealerships are as bad is Riverside Acura of Little Rock, AR. After talking to a friend in the business who knows the service manager at Riverside, I found out that they have been having problems with a few of their techs. Unfortunately, these "problem techs" are still allowed to work on customer's cars and give the dealership a bad name. I have never taken my car to a dealership since I owned it. It had almost 75k miles on it so it was well out of warranty. Any work that has needed done, I have either done myself (with the help of AZine) or had a friend do it. The only thing I have had to take the car anywhere for was a tire swap and alignment. That only cost me a 30-pack. I've done my own timing belt, water pump, valve adjustment, intake cleaning, oil changes, trans fluid and filter changes, thermostat, starter, etc... I was afraid of this car when I first got it, but after all of this, nothing bothers me. Especially snce I haven't totally screwed anything up.

On the other hand, I wish there was a dealership close by that I could trust. Maybe if I need anything done again, I'll take a trip to Memphis or Fayetteville. Maybe I'll try out the Honda dealer here. But, after what I just did on my own, I don't expect to need any help with much of anything. You're right, everyone wants to talk about their bad experiences, but never their good experience. I will say that I have found my favorite technician. Myself. Now, I gotta try to figure out why this Dell laptop is missing keystrokes all the time...