A/C stops and zero airflow

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 06:12 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C stops and zero airflow

Hi,

I decide to post on the forum and see whether anyone has any suggestion. The car is a 05 TL with M/T. It has been into the dealership 7 times to solve the same problem. I have been told by the dealer - it is unique.

The problem:
In summer, after driving 3-4 hours on highway at 110 km/hr, the A/C would stop working (because the car interior got warmer). I increased the airflow but all I could hear was the sound of the motor running. Zero airflow was coming out of any vent (does not matter whether I was on fresh vs recycle).

The pollen filter was removed and was clean. Refrigerant level was checked and normal (so frozen coil was not the problem). One could see the fan was turning but zero airflow was coming out of any vents.

If I parked the car for 45 minutes, things would return to normal.

Is there a "servomotor" that control the airflow coming out of the vents? I am thinking the motor is overheating or a damper is stuck somewhere. I do not know the airflow on the TL so any help is appreciated.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,433 Posts
there are flaps in the ducting to control where the air comes from. A controler or a flap might be bad. Also what temp. were you running, anything over 76 will make the air come out of the foot-wells. also are you running on auto mode?
Old 11-17-2008, 07:46 PM
06 RL - 04 TL

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PA TL
Hi,

I decide to post on the forum and see whether anyone has any suggestion. The car is a 05 TL with M/T. It has been into the dealership 7 times to solve the same problem. I have been told by the dealer - it is unique.

The problem:
In summer, after driving 3-4 hours on highway at 110 km/hr, the A/C would stop working (because the car interior got warmer). I increased the airflow but all I could hear was the sound of the motor running. Zero airflow was coming out of any vent (does not matter whether I was on fresh vs recycle).

The pollen filter was removed and was clean. Refrigerant level was checked and normal (so frozen coil was not the problem). One could see the fan was turning but zero airflow was coming out of any vents.

If I parked the car for 45 minutes, things would return to normal.

Is there a "servomotor" that control the airflow coming out of the vents? I am thinking the motor is overheating or a damper is stuck somewhere. I do not know the airflow on the TL so any help is appreciated.
Sounds to me like the A/C is freezing up...low fan speed coupled with (very) low temp setting. The evaporator freezes over, stops air flow, fan motor blows its heart out nothing happens.

Let the car sit for a while on a hot day, everything melts and you're good to go again.

Don't set the temp SO low or use a higher blower speed.

A/C may be a little overcharged? (not sure of that one) Usually the evaporators will have some kind of feedback loop (if it can really be called that - pretty primative in most cars that I've see) to try to minimize this.

Tom
Old 11-17-2008, 11:32 PM
06 6spd TL BAGGED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
maybe your compressor is crapping out.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:34 AM
Advanced

Well, the A/C stops and zero airflow has occurred in the following conditions:
-Fan speed on max high and the temperature set at 19 C (or 66 F)
-System on AUTO and temperature set at 21 C (or 70 F) and at 24 C (or 75 F)

The refrigerant level has been checked at least 3 times by the dealership. Flushed at least twice.

I can see if the refrigerant level is low, the A/C system will run harder and cooler to compensate. This will increase the freezing of the coil.

If the compressor is dying, why will it take 3 hr to fail? I would expect it will fail sooner.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:15 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
70F is one of the grey temp areas for the sensors- 68 gets some heat, 72 gets ac...
but right in the middle it has trouble deciding what to do- it will mix hot and cold to get the temp on automatic.

After 3 hours- it may be freezing up if it has to run constantly with no breaks, usually it should cycle on and off, allowing defrost time, the hoses get ice cold and the metal fittings get icy...who knows whats going on inside when that occurs~
So continuous operation could cause problems
The ac radiator fan works, but how is the cabin fan
It does not like to e run on MAX for long periods- not much wire guage to carry current on full time basis at ful power
Again- the system would not normally run on high for several hours constant
Check the wires, resisitor and fan motor behind the glovebox, its all together.

Could be simple overheat is shutting off cabin fan
Old 11-18-2008, 10:57 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
agreed.. it could be freezing up after extended use at low temps (<66F), have you tried to visually check (it may be too difficult w/out dash removal).. but you say your a/c motor fan is running but no airflow??

It could be your control unit.. did you check the defrost vents to see if they had airflow or your floor vents ??

I think the NAVI - control unit even calculates your position relative to the time of day along with the environment conditions.. so a faulty sensor / short may have done something to the system.

Since you said you parked it and it returned to normal, I am more inclined to think it has to do something with your A/C control unit and it needed a reset. Did they check a code history??

It sounds strange.. I notice a low flow sometimes but never zero flow under manual climate control.. If it's just under stressed use for long periods I'd use it sparingly and open up the sunroof when not in use.. Keep us updated..
Old 11-19-2008, 10:53 PM
Advanced

My car does not has a NAVI system.

When the problem occurs, I am using driving to somewhere and has very limited access on tools to do inspection. I tried several times to check visually (i.e. feel all the vents including the ones under the dash). I have not been able to get a visual on the coil to see whether it was ice up or not.

They did a code history check but it did not clearly identify the source of the problem.

When I parked the car (after A/C stops), I did not see a big puddle of water (50 mL) under the car (as I would expect from the melting of the ice).

Anyway, the car went into the dealership. Acura Tech Line said they have never heard of such problem (my problem is unique). The dealership replaces the following:
79310-SEP-A02 Blower motor assembly with fan
80292-SDA-A01 AC air filter

I have to wait till summer 2009 to see whether the problem still there or not.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:36 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
Originally Posted by PA TL
My car does not has a NAVI system.

When the problem occurs, I am using driving to somewhere and has very limited access on tools to do inspection. I tried several times to check visually (i.e. feel all the vents including the ones under the dash). I have not been able to get a visual on the coil to see whether it was ice up or not.

They did a code history check but it did not clearly identify the source of the problem.

When I parked the car (after A/C stops), I did not see a big puddle of water (50 mL) under the car (as I would expect from the melting of the ice).

Anyway, the car went into the dealership. Acura Tech Line said they have never heard of such problem (my problem is unique). The dealership replaces the following:
80292-SDA-A01 AC air filter

I have to wait till summer 2009 to see whether the problem still there or not.

Did you get the filter and blower motor replaced??? and they want to replace the WHOLE blower motor assembly.. what??.. I hope not.. if so I hope they replaced for free.. I find it strange that Acura Stealership says your problem is unique yet want you to replace parts.. it's like "pay me $1k and we'll see if this fixes it.. if not.. pay me $3k and we'll replace the whole thing"

If they say there are no DTC's (error codes) then it is bogus for them to replace parts. If they took the blower unit out and it fails testing .. well.. different story.. but tell them you want all the parts after they fix.. make a little mark on the parts too.. so you know you're getting yours back. I checked and you don't even need to remove dash so the job alone is very simple..

... typically if it's your blower motor it will be sporadic.. like sometimes it works.. sometimes doesn't.. it shouldn't fail completely and it shouldn't fail only after long use. For them to replace your ac / pollen filter is another $100 gouge (seriously the filter is like $10 and the 5min labor is $90.. lol.. you can also recondition your original filter for about $2..)

... this might be something so simple as a blown fuse or short / open relay.. but it's b.s. for them to call for removal and replacement without documenting a failure.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:54 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Majofo
Did you get the filter and blower motor replaced??? and they want to replace the WHOLE blower motor assembly.. what??.. I hope not.. if so I hope they replaced for free.. I find it strange that Acura Stealership says your problem is unique yet want you to replace parts.. it's like "pay me $1k and we'll see if this fixes it.. if not.. pay me $3k and we'll replace the whole thing"

If they say there are no DTC's (error codes) then it is bogus for them to replace parts. If they took the blower unit out and it fails testing .. well.. different story.. but tell them you want all the parts after they fix.. make a little mark on the parts too.. so you know you're getting yours back. I checked and you don't even need to remove dash so the job alone is very simple..

... typically if it's your blower motor it will be sporadic.. like sometimes it works.. sometimes doesn't.. it shouldn't fail completely and it shouldn't fail only after long use. For them to replace your ac / pollen filter is another $100 gouge (seriously the filter is like $10 and the 5min labor is $90.. lol.. you can also recondition your original filter for about $2..)

... this might be something so simple as a blown fuse or short / open relay.. but it's b.s. for them to call for removal and replacement without documenting a failure.
The dealer has my car for 1 week to do testing. During the testing, they notice the blower motor output was fluctuating.
I did not ask whether they found any error code during the testing.
So I now have to wait for summer to see whether the problem is fixed.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:13 PM
Advanced

Well, after "extensive" testing (i.e. driving in 24 C or 75 F five times for over 3 hours, and 30 C or 86 F one time for 5 hours) with the a/c set at 21 C or 70 F, the a/c problem seems to be fixed by changing out the blower motor (replacement was done back in 2008).
Hopefully, I am the one with an unique problem like this. However, if you encounter similarily strange a/c problem, get the technician to check the blower motor output.
I am glad that my a/c problem is finally solved.
Old 08-25-2023, 04:31 PM
2nd Gear

I am having the identical problem with my 05 TL with M/T.

A lot of time has passed since you posted this. Did you ultimately conclude that replacing the fan motor was the solution?
Old 08-26-2023, 06:51 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mellow bill
I am having the identical problem with my 05 TL with M/T.

A lot of time has passed since you posted this. Did you ultimately conclude that replacing the fan motor was the solution?
Hi,
I did not encounter any problem in my A/C or car interior was warming up after they replaced:
80292-SDA-A01 AC air filter in 2008.
I drove the car till June 2015, and I traded it in but from 2008 to 2015. I did not encounter any A/C problem.
I would suggest to monitor the blower motor output to see if the motor was the issue. It was a fun car to drive - I still miss the car but I need more room so I got a SUV now.
Old 08-30-2023, 11:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
Heck of a thread resurrection and response from OP! 👍