A/C not COLD

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 04:57 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C not COLD

I have a 2004 Acura TL 6 M/T and I’m looking for some help here. When I’m running my air conditioner, it gets cool, but not really cold! I’ve changed the compressor twice, because I thought the first compressor was defective, both Schrader valves, and have now replaced the cabin filter, which was filthy as hell! After replacing the compressor, I drew a vacuum on the system before refilling it with refrigerant and when I tested it, the vacuum level held @ 30 inHg so I feel like there aren’t leaks. However, I haven’t checked with my gauges since filling it three weeks ago.

So, now I’m hoping for some advice on what else the possible culprit could be. What are some troubleshooting steps and/or other components to looks for? Also, what should the pressure be on the gauges on both high and low sides look like when the car is off and also when it’s idling?

Old 09-12-2019, 09:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,691 Likes on 1,307 Posts
did you check for A/C relay, simple fix that could be easily over looked.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:38 AM
10th Gear

The compressor is kicking it like its supposed to. I can feel it pulling the humidity out of the air. It's just not getting ice cold like I would expect it to after having replaced the compressor and filling it with new refrigerant.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,999 Likes on 1,420 Posts
Did you replace the dryer element and also add new PAG oil to the system? I'm thinking it could be a sticking expansion valve or your condenser is clogged internally limiting flow to the system. Denso condenser + element as a package is fairly cheap on rock auto:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...429130&jsn=346

Your high pressure side hose should be warm and the low side should be sweating slightly and cool in the engine bay. Both hoses should be solid when the a/c system is running and not be very soft. Also make sure your condenser fan is working and replace the relay to it, if it's not working or the relay is old/bad it can limit power and cause issues.
The following users liked this post:
Ken1997TL (09-17-2019)
Old 09-17-2019, 06:57 AM
10th Gear

Yes, when I received the new compressor, I removed the pre-added oil and filled it with the recommended amount of PAG oil I purchased from my local auto parts store. I did not replace anything other than the compressor. Neither of the lines are sweating like I would anticipate but the compressor is kicking in and both fans are working. Is there anyway to isolate and trouble shoot which component is faulty? Sounds like no matter what I do, I’m going to have to drain the refrigerant, replace components, draw a vacuum on the system, and refill with refrigerant. Is that correct?

Also, where is the expansion valve located and is there a specific way to tell if its working properly?
Old 09-17-2019, 12:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,999 Likes on 1,420 Posts
Originally Posted by brewhaha1220
Yes, when I received the new compressor, I removed the pre-added oil and filled it with the recommended amount of PAG oil I purchased from my local auto parts store. I did not replace anything other than the compressor. Neither of the lines are sweating like I would anticipate but the compressor is kicking in and both fans are working. Is there anyway to isolate and trouble shoot which component is faulty? Sounds like no matter what I do, I’m going to have to drain the refrigerant, replace components, draw a vacuum on the system, and refill with refrigerant. Is that correct?

Also, where is the expansion valve located and is there a specific way to tell if its working properly?
if the compressor is kicking in and the fans are running there has to be a restriction inside the system. The expansion valve is under the dash behind the blower motor. The A/c lines on the firewall connect to it from the engine bay.

since it hold vac pressure I'm thinking a blocked condenser, dryer element or clogged expansion valve. You best bet is to vac the system, replace condensor and expansion valve and make sure all the lines are clean. If there are any metal fragments/shards it'll ruin your new compressor.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:16 AM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by brewhaha1220
I have a 2004 Acura TL 6 M/T and I’m looking for some help here. When I’m running my air conditioner, it gets cool, but not really cold! I’ve changed the compressor twice, because I thought the first compressor was defective, both Schrader valves, and have now replaced the cabin filter, which was filthy as hell! After replacing the compressor, I drew a vacuum on the system before refilling it with refrigerant and when I tested it, the vacuum level held @ 30 inHg so I feel like there aren’t leaks. However, I haven’t checked with my gauges since filling it three weeks ago.

So, now I’m hoping for some advice on what else the possible culprit could be. What are some troubleshooting steps and/or other components to looks for? Also, what should the pressure be on the gauges on both high and low sides look like when the car is off and also when it’s idling?

I had this issue earlier this summer got the system vacuum and recharged ( Meineke 50% off A/C recharge special) working great since then..