Brembo Break Noise on TLs

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 07:18 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brembo Break Noise on TLs

I have a 2005 TL 6 Speed Manual and after 25K miles, the break started to squeal. I brought it in for service and the service person told me that TLs breaks always do that even if they are new. I couldn't believe this but after they replaced the pads, it started to squeal after 2000 miles. I didn't notice any squealing until after 23K miles. With the new breaks, it only occurs during the first 5-10 minutes of driving. These Brembo brakes cause me almost $400 to replace. Anybody have the same issue? Is this a manufacturing defect or a design flaw? The service person was also suggesting to shave the edges of the pads to eliminate squealing in the future. What the heck? I'd appreciate everybody's input.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:34 PM
TCU Frogs!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
from reading other posts about brembos, i have heard that they do squeal noticeably more than the regular brAKEs. also, they give off much more brAKE dust than non-brembos.

i have the brembos on my '06, but no squealing so far...i guess just try not to worry too much about it or try to use engine braking by downshifting more than using the brakes themselves.

i used to drive a g35, so i know owners have complained about their brembos as well.

i guess this is the price for nice brAKEs.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:21 PM
Bring It

Mine started squealing around 7K miles. I took the TSB to Acura and they replaced the pads and resurfaced the rotors. Now i'm at 42K and they squeal now and then. Spray some brake cleaner on the rotors and it might solve the problem.

Just by looking at my pads, i know I'll need to replace them very soon. I'm done with Brembos. I might be looking at EBC pads or Hawk pads.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:26 PM
'04 6mt Pearl

I am nearing the point where pads are due and am considering a few options. One of the options is the cheapest pads that I've heard of costing about 30/set. They will still stop the car but may not perform as well in extreme (racing) temps but the OEM pads are just stupidly expensive, can be noisy and dust badly. The OEMs seem to treat the rotors well so far.

I am considering Wagner Thermoquiet pads at around 30$ or Axxis Deluxe Plus or Satisfied Pro at around 50$. All these pads boast about being quiet and easy on the rotors. The Wagners have some unusual construction features which I thought might help our brake squeal problems.

Some guys here swear by the Hawks pads which are again very expensive but as for the noise, well who knows. There's allot of hype around brake pads and if you are not racing that's really all it is. As long as the pads reduce the dusting are easy on the rotors and don't squeal they should be fine.

The other thing about pads is allot of the fancy ones may be the same as the cheaper ones with a nice paint job, name and all the associated marketing hype.

That's my .
Old 08-03-2006, 07:26 AM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
The Brembos do make a little bit of noise... you can also add some "Disk Brake Quiet" to the pads to help out. I put on Rotex Kevlars and they do not make any noise. triggle said that they are expensive but nto really.. don't know hom much you pay for a brake job but my pads were $110 and i did it myself...

What cost you $400 to replace????

Read here...
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...51&postcount=5
Old 08-04-2006, 01:48 AM
'04 6mt Pearl

7thgear: I'll risk speaking for JMB and myself and suggest you do the pads yourself. It really is a simple task on the TL. If unsure have a knowledgeable friend help you and provide the wisdom. Or.. you provide the beer after they do the work.

JMB: It's good to hear you have no noise issues with the Rotex. I think it was Subinf who installed Rotex but is planning to dump them for EBCs because of the noise.

Here's a thread about noisy Hawk brake pads.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...t=brembo+rotex

When I say expensive I am thinking Hawks. At near 140$ plus installation if you can't DIY, it is getting a bit spendy. And noise on top of that = nothing gained.

BTW I did appreciate your comments in my other thread about pads where I was presenting some options just so people don't get myopic about pads.

Sometimes you get what you paid for and sometimes you get taken to the cleaners. Just because you have Brembos.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:00 PM
8AT > 6MT

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if you use brembos...you're gonna get noise period...i get noise all the time... reason is the brake pads have much more metallic in them (which causes dusting). my friend from JLBmotorsports has an STi and when i bought my wheels and tires from him, i took him for a ride and he's like...dude are your brakes going out? then i told him i have brembos and that's when he told me it's normal...i rode in his STi for the first time and the noise that his brakes make are 10x worst and much much more embarassing =P
Old 08-05-2006, 01:15 AM
'04 6mt Pearl

Aren't Hawks non-metallic ceramic and the Rotex Kevlar ? The STI pads are compatible with the TL so I would assume they use the same caliper since they are Brembos. I think the caliper is called a "lotus style" caliper. They don't need to be noisy. Many people have had good results with the stocks.

Glazing may be an issue as well. You might try to bed your pads.
http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm
Old 08-14-2006, 01:00 AM
Intermediate

Brembo Breaks Noise

Hi All, Thanks for all your feedback. I just wanted to find out if anybody else was having the same problem. Apparently, this seems to be a common problem with Brembo brakes. I'll just have to accept some noise once in a while. Speed on....
Old 08-14-2006, 01:03 AM
8AT > 6MT

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 7thgear
Hi All, Thanks for all your feedback. I just wanted to find out if anybody else was having the same problem. Apparently, this seems to be a common problem with Brembo brakes. I'll just have to accept some noise once in a while. Speed on....
if you don't want noise, do what i do...don't slowly slow the car down by lightly pushing on the brakes...just slam on it....the noise is gone that's what i've noticed...when you push it lightly, they squeel a bit, little harder, it goes away...but for me...Project MU is the next set of brakes
Old 08-14-2006, 05:05 PM
Instructor

happens to me too...
i dont' know if it happened after i did my first burnout..LOL
but i don't think it was becuz of that since it's common for everyone
by looking at the brake pad, you can already see a lot of rusts on it
so i already knew that was the reason
and i agree with Revolution SignWorks, if you're not considering to replace a new one
just..slam on it, hit it hard (don't go too hard that you hit your dash board), the squeal is gone =D
Old 08-21-2006, 12:47 AM
6th Gear

same happened to me, apparently there is a TSB for this and my dealer replaced the pads and rotors for free
Old 08-21-2006, 11:55 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by canadaron
same happened to me, apparently there is a TSB for this and my dealer replaced the pads and rotors for free
There is a TSB for this problem? If so, the next time I bring my baby in, I'll let them know. Do you have any specific TSB reference nos. or anything that would eliminate any discussions with the service folks? Thanks!!!