Brakes squealing after heating up

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 01:20 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes squealing after heating up

Just put brand new rotors and pads on my wife's car. It's a 6MT TL - Brambo brakes on the front. I used Centric rotors and Hawk ceramic pads.

After completing the job, took it out for a spin to bed the brakes in - and everything looked fine. The next day wife calls me and says brakes are squealing like dinosaurs in heat. Indeed, she drives home, and I can hear the car a mile away.

I take out the pads, put a generous coat of brake grease between the pads and the shims and assemble the brakes back. Take it out for a spin - and again everything is fine. Then I try a second loop, and by now the brakes heated up, and if I apply light pressure - they do start squealing!

I thought maybe the pads glazed over, so I give it a few runs with decent braking pressure, and the squealing subsides somewhat, but it's still there - especially when braking lightly.

What do I do now?
Thanks.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:35 PM
KICKED IN THE BALLS

Originally Posted by paulney
Just put brand new rotors and pads on my wife's car. It's a 6MT TL - Brambo brakes on the front. I used Centric rotors and Hawk ceramic pads.

After completing the job, took it out for a spin to bed the brakes in - and everything looked fine. The next day wife calls me and says brakes are squealing like dinosaurs in heat. Indeed, she drives home, and I can hear the car a mile away.

I take out the pads, put a generous coat of brake grease between the pads and the shims and assemble the brakes back. Take it out for a spin - and again everything is fine. Then I try a second loop, and by now the brakes heated up, and if I apply light pressure - they do start squealing!

I thought maybe the pads glazed over, so I give it a few runs with decent braking pressure, and the squealing subsides somewhat, but it's still there - especially when braking lightly.

What do I do now?
Thanks.
Maybe a pain in the butt to do but put your old rotors back on and drive around with the new brake bads and see what happens.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:25 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
You need to bed those Hawk pads in... do several stops .. 40-5, 60-10, 80-40 to get them to bite & bed properly.. it may help.

.. but if they're squealing while driving you need to find the culprit and make sure they are seated properly.. make sure you bought the right stuff as well, check to see if the car pulls while braking, if so, check to see if one of the pistons is locked / needs to be rebuilt.

Last edited by Majofo; 07-28-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
for the front rotors, did you get this part #

CE120.40062

Manuf. Part # 120.40062
Old 07-28-2009, 03:19 PM
KICKED IN THE BALLS

Originally Posted by Majofo
You need to bed those Hawk pads in... do several stops .. 40-5, 60-10, 80-40 to get them to bite & bed properly.. it may help.

.. but if they're squealing while driving you need to find the culprit and make sure they are seated properly.. make sure you bought the right stuff as well, check to see if the car pulls while braking, if so, check to see if one of the pistons is locked / needs to be rebuilt.
he did bed the brakes.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:21 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
^ damn.. totally missed that.. sounds like something is definitely awry..
Old 07-28-2009, 03:23 PM
KICKED IN THE BALLS

Originally Posted by Majofo
^ damn.. totally missed that.. sounds like something is definitely awry..
OHHHH did you make sure the dust shield isn't rubbing on anything.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:42 PM
Intermediate

Just to make it clear: the brakes make no sound while not applied. So, driving is smooth. The brakes do a terrific job of braking. It's just that they squeal upon light application when they heat up. No squealing when brakes are cold no matter how light you press.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:43 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by csmeance
for the front rotors, did you get this part #

CE120.40062

Manuf. Part # 120.40062
Yes, got it from TireRack.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:43 PM
wut.

Just to make it clear: the brakes make no sound while not applied. So, driving is smooth. The brakes do a terrific job of braking. It's just that they squeal upon light application when they heat up. No squealing when brakes are cold no matter how light you press.
Same with my Wilwood BBKs. I haven't found the answer I'm looking for though.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:48 PM
rcp
Advanced

I also have this problem. My rear pads squeak when light pressure is applied. I still haven't found an answer. Drove around for 1 year like this. Its really annoying I must agree.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:10 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine also squeal when light pressure is applied. They start squealing around 40 mph until I stop. If I brake hard this doesn't happen. The dealer couldn't figure it out and they said I have plenty of pad left. Very annoying.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:32 AM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts

What do I do now?
Thanks.
My opinion is that ceramic pads are more of a race compound used for their low dusting properties and need to be used more harshly to avoid squeeks.

I have Rotora Ceramic pads that squeek sometimes but, braking harder makes this go away. This is the trade off you get for hi performance low dusting pads. OEM pads would solve this problem with little performance loss and alot more dust.