Brakes screeching...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 10:50 AM
2014 RDX Tech AWD

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Brakes screeching...

To schedule check-up or not to schedule check-up?
Does anyone's brakes screech? I've only had my car since November so I doubt the brakes are worn by now , but it has me wondering if the screeching is normal or not?

Since I previous "warped" (so-to-speak) my 04 Accord's rotors, I knew better to be hard on the brakes with the TL during the break-in period. So, I know it's not the rotors since there is also no steering vibration.

Any insight would be great! Thanks!
Old 03-06-2006, 11:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by KJW73
To schedule check-up or not to schedule check-up?
Does anyone's brakes screech? I've only had my car since November so I doubt the brakes are worn by now , but it has me wondering if the screeching is normal or not?

Since I previous "warped" (so-to-speak) my 04 Accord's rotors, I knew better to be hard on the brakes with the TL during the break-in period. So, I know it's not the rotors since there is also no steering vibration.

Any insight would be great! Thanks!
Is it a squeal? If so is it all the time or only when braking? Is it front or rear? On one side? It may just be that the pads are worn down and the metal tab (low pad indicator) on the pads is rubbing against the rotor and causing a squeal.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I get break squeal for the first few stops after my car has been sitting for a long time (like 6-8 hours), then it goes away. I have also wondered whether or not this behavior is normal. I have not had a chance to search the forum yet, so I don't know if this has been discussed before.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:19 PM
2014 RDX Tech AWD

Originally Posted by Excelerate
Is it a squeal? If so is it all the time or only when braking? Is it front or rear? On one side? It may just be that the pads are worn down and the metal tab (low pad indicator) on the pads is rubbing against the rotor and causing a squeal.
Thanks for the feedback!
It's a high-pitched sqealing/screeching noise that happens when I brake; it doesn't appear to happen when I'm not braking, but it does happen often when I am braking. I assume it is from the front of the car, but I don't know if one side or both sides?

I just hate to imagine my pads being worn with only 2,700 miles and having only owned the car since November 16th...
Old 03-06-2006, 12:23 PM
FOR SALE - BM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maybe there is dirt or something... i would take it back to the dealer and make them replace it... noway should they be worn out by now.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:46 PM
Pro

do you have a MT (brembos)? If so....

I had this problem...The "I need new brakes sound" and the "old car" squeal sound...all of which are covered under warranty....they shouldn't be making any noise at all!!!

Acura does have a Bulletin out for it as well...you shouldn't have any problem with them fixing it...even if they can't replicate the problem.

i wouldn't know about automatics
Old 03-06-2006, 01:03 PM
2014 RDX Tech AWD

Originally Posted by Nandito28
do you have a MT (brembos)? If so....

I had this problem...The "I need new brakes sound" and the "old car" squeal sound...all of which are covered under warranty....they shouldn't be making any noise at all!!!

Acura does have a Bulletin out for it as well...you shouldn't have any problem with them fixing it...even if they can't replicate the problem.

i wouldn't know about automatics
I have the automatic...

Just thought I'd check in to find out if this occurs with other TL's....
It is due for inspection by the end of March, so when I take it to the dealership, I'll have them take a looksee then. Hopefully, it's nothing.

Thanks!
Old 03-06-2006, 01:06 PM
Pro

^my bad, I just now saw your signature....Still shouldn't be making any noise...good luck with that.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:12 PM
5mins2disney.com

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I bought my '06 in mid-September and it has 4300 miles now, and the brakes have never squeaked even once, this is not normal, I'd get it checked.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:13 PM
2014 RDX Tech AWD

Originally Posted by Nandito28
^my bad, I just now saw your signature....Still shouldn't be making any noise...good luck with that.
Thanks!
One things I'm learning about new cars is that they aren't perfect (from my own experience and from this Board)...

... my previous new 04 Accord had a terrible rattling when I took it off the lot...the windshield needed to be reset/readjusted....so, I've just accepted that shit is going to happen.

Thanks again!!
Old 03-06-2006, 01:15 PM
Instructor

I had a similar problem. Sounded like my brake pads were worn out, but it couldn't have been cuz my TL was still pretty new. It didn't happen everytime I pressed the brakes, but it happened enough to make it a concern. So I took my car into the dealership and they "deglazed" it, but that only worked for a few days. So I took it back and they replaced my front brakes. Hope that helps.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:19 PM
2014 RDX Tech AWD

Acura's "aware" of problem...

I called the dealership to make an appointment for my inspection, emissions test and oil change for next Friday and when I mentioned about the "screeching" coming from the brakes the service rep told me that they are aware of the problem and that they frequently receive complaints from TL owners. The dealer said it is nothing to be alarmed about; it's just the brake dust piling up (as someone else eluded to) and that Acura is researching to remedy the problem.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:42 PM
Instructor

I am having the same issue with 5200 miles on my 05 TL auto. Dropping off my car tonight at Curry Acura. This will be the first time I will be bringing in my car for service, we shall see how it goes. I just hope they fix the issue the first time, I don't have time to go back and fourth, will find out tomorrow.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:35 PM
2014 RDX Tech AWD

Originally Posted by hank1105
I am having the same issue with 5200 miles on my 05 TL auto. Dropping off my car tonight at Curry Acura. This will be the first time I will be bringing in my car for service, we shall see how it goes. I just hope they fix the issue the first time, I don't have time to go back and fourth, will find out tomorrow.
Keep us posted!
...and good luck to ya!
Old 03-07-2006, 06:52 PM
AVB for President!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is exactly what I experienced very recently. The dealership found that the front right brake was squealing due to the development of a hard spot on the brake pad. I was told that this can happen due to normal wear and tear which results in the ceramic material to fuse or weld together at various points on the pad. Either way, their solution was to give me new brake pads, as well as resurface the rotors, all for free of course.

Essentially I have close to new front brakes (they replaced the Driver front side pad as well, to even things out), with the exception that I'm not starting with new rotors (resurfaced). This outcome was better than I expected.

I have a 2005 5AT.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:20 AM
Instructor

Got my car back last night, great service overall. The issue was "glazing" of the rotors, so they deglazed them and did not install new pads. As of now there isn't any noise when braking, but we shall see what happens in a few weeks. Service was very good, this was Curry Acura in White Plains, NY
Old 03-08-2006, 07:24 PM
Racer

next time you get squeeling on application try a few (3?) higher-speed (50mph+) brake applications on a deserted road. each time should be progressively harder/faster. this will probably break the "glaze" (from repeated light applications) and save you a trip to the dealer.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:32 PM
Instructor

Yeah, I got the same thing with my Brembos, and the Service department told me that it happens with people who brake lightly. They recommended some hard braking a few times should alleviate the problem. I have to admit it did eventually stop. The Brembos are notorius for this, I don't know about the regular pads on the AT. Couldn't hurt you to try a few times, may help you out
Old 03-09-2006, 09:52 AM
Instructor

Good to know, I haven't hard braked the car as of yet, good to try to see how it handles. Thanks.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:03 PM
Miss you :(

I have the same problem and plan on getting it looked at
Whether it works or not you should never have to slam your brakes on at 50+ mph to fix this problem, thats the biggest BS i have ever heard.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:38 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by JERU
Yeah, I got the same thing with my Brembos, and the Service department told me that it happens with people who brake lightly. They recommended some hard braking a few times should alleviate the problem. I have to admit it did eventually stop. The Brembos are notorius for this, I don't know about the regular pads on the AT. Couldn't hurt you to try a few times, may help you out
You shouldn't consider that normal...braking harder shouldn't be the solution.

I had the squealing and the I need new breaks sound as well 05 TL MT (brembo)...they gave me new pads the first time and resurfaced the rotors, which made it worse, the second time they gave me "new design 2006 rotors" (as the service guy put it) and pads....I haven't heard anything at all (even during soft braking) and its been about 1K miles since I got them

point being...even if they're brembos they shouldn't make any sound. The dealer shoudln't be saying "brake harder"!

this comment is only if you are still braking hard to get rid of the noise...if not than disregard

all of my work was under warranty w/ no hassle whats so ever.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:03 AM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Alot of members seems to have the same problem. I had the same problem and brought it back to Acura at no charge. The service manager told me the cause was the brake pads. High performance brake pads are harder and will tend to squeal.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:40 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Ramairgt1
I have the same problem and plan on getting it looked at
Whether it works or not you should never have to slam your brakes on at 50+ mph to fix this problem, thats the biggest BS i have ever heard.

WHERE in this thread were you or anyone else instructed to "slam your brakes on at 50+"?????

""next time you get squeeling on application try a few (3?) higher-speed (50mph+) brake applications on a deserted road. each time should be progressively harder/faster. ""
Old 03-13-2006, 06:42 AM
Miss you :(

Originally Posted by mbwmn
WHERE in this thread were you or anyone else instructed to "slam your brakes on at 50+"?????

""next time you get squeeling on application try a few (3?) higher-speed (50mph+) brake applications on a deserted road. each time should be progressively harder/faster. ""
i misread your post..ive seen other members say to slam your brakes on at 50....you shouldnt even have to brake "hard" at 50+ to fix this problem...that like telling me to drive my car off a cliff to fix my rattles