Which Brake Rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 03:43 AM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Which Brake Rotors?

I have been doing research and looking over many sites and cannot make up my mind on what rotors to purchase. I would like zinc plated rotors to protect from the salty roads because it doesn't sound like the e-coating would last from what i have found they only protect for up to 400 hours which is like the first month of winter here in MI (any info on how they hold up long term in salty roads would be appreciated). But i cant find Zinc platted rotors that aren't drilled and slotted! I would like either blanks or just slotted zinc platted which r1 concepts sells but of course they are just e-coated. Brembo sport cross drilled may be out of my price range but anyone use them before or they just over priced? So i would appreciate any input to help my decision. Thanks

Last edited by 0utl; 04-03-2014 at 03:54 AM. Reason: more questions
Old 04-03-2014, 04:03 AM
Instructor

Anyone use this company before: http://brakeperformance.com/brake-ro...ake-Rotors.php

The slotted rotors are what im thinking...
Old 04-03-2014, 04:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by 0utl
I have been doing research and looking over many sites and cannot make up my mind on what rotors to purchase. I would like zinc plated rotors to protect from the salty roads because it doesn't sound like the e-coating would last from what i have found they only protect for up to 400 hours which is like the first month of winter here in MI (any info on how they hold up long term in salty roads would be appreciated). But i cant find Zinc platted rotors that aren't drilled and slotted! I would like either blanks or just slotted zinc platted which r1 concepts sells but of course they are just e-coated. Brembo sport cross drilled may be out of my price range but anyone use them before or they just over priced? So i would appreciate any input to help my decision. Thanks
I like EBC brakes

I have the USR quiet slot rotors and yellow stuff pads and while they work great, they rust really fast but only where the pads run so they knock the flash off really quick once you drive the rest of the rotor has some type of black coating on them for the USR series.

Shop that recently had my car thought I had BBKs on the car initially due to my pedal feel and how quickly the car stops but I have a base 5AT with the OEM base brakes.

Anyhow if I did it again I was checking out their BSD rotors, they're more expensive though and they don't make a 12.2" one for the brembos yet so you wouldn't be able to have matching front/rear rotors.

Their GD series are supposed to be better than the USRs that I have, a little noisier and are slotted and dimpled and they're anodized. Paired with EBC red stuff pads (ceramic) or yellowstuff (track/street pad) brakes would be great.

Free shipping on amazon. Looks like about $409 shipped for the set. Also looks like amazon has a coupon code for EBC brake pads and rotors right now, EBCSPRG2 for 10% off. The pads are expensive, it's like $135 for the fronts if you go with yellowstuff and $80 for the rears. The redstuff is a little bit less expensive.

Front: GD7259

Amazon.com: EBC Brakes GD7259 3GD Series Dimpled and Slotted Sport Rotor: Automotive Amazon.com: EBC Brakes GD7259 3GD Series Dimpled and Slotted Sport Rotor: Automotive

Rear: GD7199

Amazon.com: EBC Brakes GD7199 3GD Series Dimpled and Slotted Sport Rotor: Automotive Amazon.com: EBC Brakes GD7199 3GD Series Dimpled and Slotted Sport Rotor: Automotive

Here are pad P/Ns for EBC..

Brembo Fronts..

Yellowstuff: DP41210R
Redstuff: DP31210C

Stock Rear:

Yellowstuff: DP4781/2R
Redstuff: DP3781/2C

They're sold in kits too with rotors and pads but not from amazon. It's actually probably cheaper to buy the rotors from amazon and the pads separately from a shop on ebay as long as they're brand new.

Can check P/Ns here:

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/aspauto/iwebcat.html

Last edited by mzilvar; 04-03-2014 at 04:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
0utl (04-04-2014)
Old 04-03-2014, 10:54 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
For what it's worth, a BBK does not stop the car any quicker than stock brakes and the pedal effort should be the same with the exception of better feel due to a stiffer caliper and the usually included braided lines.

As for rotors, it's good to stay away from drilled so we're good there. I've never looked into coatings since nothing rusts around here. I understand wanting to keep your stuff looking nice but ultimately anything that rusts on a rotor is just cosmetic. Now that I think about it, I've never seen a zinc coated blank rotor or even a slotted rotor. I think I remember a zinc coated dimpled rotor because I remember wondering how it would look when the zinc wears off the friction surface and stays behind on the dimples. I'll see if I have it saved in my computer.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by 0utl
Brakes aren't something you should try to save money on! Honestly if a lot of stuff isn't in your price range besides the R1 stuff then save up!

I put Racing Brake Slotted Rotors (only slotted) on all 4 corners and they have been incredible. I have about 140K miles on theses rotors with 0 warping. I've used 2 sets of Acura A-Spec Pads and I'll tell you that these stop and feel much better than the OEM brakes.

IF I had to do it again, don't get slotted on the rears, I've had to do 3 pads on the rear since the slots eat though pads.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:14 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I agree in not cheaping out on the brakes even if it means waiting an extra month. Hell, I'm getting $300 pads next week but it should be the last set of pads I ever buy and they're practically immune to fade. Tires are my other pet peeve. People drop all of this money into looks and suspension and ask for the cheapest tire they can use even though tires make more of a difference in performance (safety) than every brake and suspension mod combined.

I have to wonder though, going through several rear pads to one set of fronts, are you using the same pads front and rear? It's not abnormal for newer cars to blow through rear brakes quicker than fronts. Just about all cars equipped with some form of EBFD will wear the rears much quicker. During normal stopping full line pressure goes to the rears so they do a lot of the stopping to provide more secure and stable stops. It's not until you start braking harder that it starts cutting line pressure to the rears.

In the white papers I've read, slots and holes don't increase pad wear much at all until you get near the maximum operating temp of the pad.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:44 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by csmeance
Brakes aren't something you should try to save money on! Honestly if a lot of stuff isn't in your price range besides the R1 stuff then save up!

I put Racing Brake Slotted Rotors (only slotted) on all 4 corners and they have been incredible. I have about 140K miles on theses rotors with 0 warping. I've used 2 sets of Acura A-Spec Pads and I'll tell you that these stop and feel much better than the OEM brakes.

IF I had to do it again, don't get slotted on the rears, I've had to do 3 pads on the rear since the slots eat though pads.
Where did you get the Racing Brake Slotted Rotors and is that the brand? Were they zinc platted? Also what do you guys think of the brake performance brand seems nice and they come zinc platted with just slots. For brake pads i was going to go with Duralast Gold Cmax... They seem to have good reviews.

Last edited by 0utl; 04-04-2014 at 01:56 AM.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:54 PM
Instructor

I think I am going for the USR's that mzilvar suggested (thank you). They have awesome reviews and EBC is pretty well known. Plus an additional $40 off is a great deal and autozone is giving $25 girftcard with purchases over $100 so im placing an order for the cmax pads as well. The coupons for ebc on amazon ends aprill 11 and autozone is the 8th just to let you all know!

Last edited by 0utl; 04-06-2014 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:23 PM
Instructor

Any suggestions on this set up would be appreciated
Old 04-07-2014, 07:41 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
buy whatever you are comfortable with.
any combo you throw at it, will stop the car.

i hook my buddies up with the cmax gold pads on their RL's and TL's.
its a great pad