Brake Pedal too high

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009 | 05:56 PM
Drifting

Brake Pedal too high

Is there a way to adjust my brake pedal down even to my gas pedal? Or closer? My gosh I'm handicapped having to raise my foot to brake. Very poor design.
Old 08-07-2009 | 06:47 PM
Instructor

You just need to adjust your seat position so that all you have to do is to lift the front of the foot and use the rear as a pivot point. Some american cars have much higher brake pedal positions.
Old 08-07-2009 | 08:57 PM
Drifting

No. The pedal is way too high man. Seat height or not. From gas pedal to brake pedal I have to raise my leg THEN move it over and press. Its waste of time. It makes my response time slower because of the full motion I have to move my foot and knee because I gotta raise up my leg. The Seat position does have anything to do it. If the brake pedal and the gas pedal are not sitting at the same height or very close to it, you WILL have to raise your foot before pressing down. I've always known that having to brake this car quickly really sucked! And now i realize WHY. It's because the freaking break pedal is TOO Freaking high!! Hell, come to think of it, if I raised my seat, that would just make it worse. I'm already down as low as the seat goes. If i was higher, in order to pivot my foot on my heel as you suggest, my toes would have to come up or backwards just that much further and strain my muscles even more and make matters worse. So, I'm already in the best position possible for easy of movement. Going higher or forward more would just mean I’ll have to raise my leg more. In an emergency this pedal height difference is critical! I drove a new TSX for a loaner a few weeks ago, and they fixed it on the newer ones. So I'm not just dreaming this up.

Last edited by Chad05TL; 08-07-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-07-2009 | 09:22 PM
Instructor

Hmm that sounds odd. My brake is right on level with my accelerater.
Old 08-08-2009 | 10:02 AM
Drifting

hmm strange. when I pivot my foot over like Cerezo says to do, my foot hits the brake pedal on the side. So I have to lift up my foot. And then stomp. So ya, its a pain in the ass. not to mention how huge this car is.. And it turns like a slug. And forget a parking garage. this is like one of the longest wheel base cars you can buy today.
Old 08-08-2009 | 10:58 AM
Registered but harmless

Originally Posted by Chad05TL
hmm strange. when I pivot my foot over like Cerezo says to do, my foot hits the brake pedal on the side. So I have to lift up my foot. And then stomp. So ya, its a pain in the ass. not to mention how huge this car is..

The difference between brake pedal and accelerator pedal height is pretty standard.
Don't rest your foot on the accelerator-- try to use just your toes or the ball of the foot. Unless you have unusually small feet or are disabled, you should be resting your heel on the floor 2-3 inches in front of the accelerator pedal and using the ball of your foot on the gas pedal. That position permits most of us to pivot the ball of the foot from gas to brake without having to lift the leg or running into the brake pedal.

Oh, and if you think the 3G TL is large, try driving the 4G TL, GS, ES, Jag XF, 5-series, E, 300C, Maxima, Malibu...
Old 08-08-2009 | 12:44 PM
Drifting

I am amazed at all the people telling me how to drive the car. I am a healthy man, i have an engineering degree from a nationally accredited university and I am 6-1, 155#. I have no physical handicaps and I have been driving for years and i have own 9 camaro's and trans am's, an older honda accord, and a few other vehicles. I get in the TL and drive it like anyone else. I don't need to hold my foot a certain way or try to adjust the seat or rest my toe or foot in a special way. The brake pedal is TOO HIGH. DONT YOU GET IT? No position I sit in will change the pedal heigth.

You can't just pivot your foot. Are you listening? My foot and ankle dont cock back that far and up higher to reach the freaking brake. I gotta lift the leg dude.

So shut up about trying to change me and lets fix car.

And yes I do think the car turns hard and large. I experience it and its in the reviews too. So, stop trying to make an excuse for your car. haha
Old 08-08-2009 | 01:59 PM
A Black TL

Your an idiot stop talking plz, and stop bashing the car you are the the laziest person ive seen, omg i cant even lift my dam leg up 2 hit the brakes, guess what then dont drive the tl then. Your the only 1 out to complain, and if this car handling is so bad, i dont know how a tl-s beat a g37 and is350 around willow springs track.
Old 08-08-2009 | 02:18 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Keep your heel a bit farther back from the pedal than you normally do. Then you won't have to tilt your ankle back so far and you can pivot your foot to hit the brake without lifting up your whole foot.

Stop blaming the car, it's set up like every other car out there

Stop acting offended at those trying to help you.
Old 08-08-2009 | 02:33 PM
Team Owner

I am amazed at all the people telling me how to drive the car. I am a healthy man, i have an engineering degree from a nationally accredited university and I am 6-1, 155#. I have no physical handicaps and I have been driving for years and i have own 9 camaro's and trans am's, an older honda accord, and a few other vehicles. I get in the TL and drive it like anyone else. I don't need to hold my foot a certain way or try to adjust the seat or rest my toe or foot in a special way. The brake pedal is TOO HIGH. DONT YOU GET IT? No position I sit in will change the pedal heigth.

You can't just pivot your foot. Are you listening? My foot and ankle dont cock back that far and up higher to reach the freaking brake. I gotta lift the leg dude.

And yes I do think the car turns hard and large. I experience it and its in the reviews too. So, stop trying to make an excuse for your car. haha
How many times are you going to mention you're an engineer? I work with engineers all day every day and half of them are brilliant in their field yet can't tie their own shoe laces. In other words it means nothing in day to day life. And 155lbs @ 6'1" is nearly handicapped.

You need to take pictures of the brake pedal in relation to the gas pedal so we can compare it to other TLs and first see if your car has a problem. At a minimum, measure how much higher the brake pedal is from the gas.

Personally I pivot off of my heal without moving my leg but if I'm wearing my hiking boots I occasionally have to move the whole leg or I get clumsy.

On many cars there will be a choice of two pivot points for the brake pedal or a threaded rod to the master cylinder where height can be adjusted. I've never looked at the TL specifically. Be aware you may have to adjust the brake light switch if you move the pedal around or you brakes won't work or they'll be on all the time. You can use your engineering degree to figure it out.
Old 08-08-2009 | 02:41 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TL|GTX
Your an idiot stop talking plz, and stop bashing the car you are the the laziest person ive seen, omg i cant even lift my dam leg up 2 hit the brakes, guess what then dont drive the tl then. Your the only 1 out to complain, and if this car handling is so bad, i dont know how a tl-s beat a g37 and is350 around willow springs track.
Old 08-08-2009 | 03:18 PM
Registered but harmless

Hey, notice no one else has an issue and is able to drive without lifting their leg like someone with a serious mental disability?
Either your car is constructed unusually, or you just don't know how to drive.
1) Go to a dealership and see if other 3G TLs have the driver's seat and pedals in the same relationship as yours.
a) If not, something is wrong with your car's seat rails or pedal placement and should be fixed.
b) If everything is the same, something is wrong with you and/or your driving position. Adjust your driving position or get a vehicle that fits you (which I suspect might be a motorized wheelchair ).

No one has to make any excuse for the TL's size-- it's what it is, won't change and smaller on the exterior than most cars in its mid-size class. If the TL's size causes you difficulty, perhaps consider getting a vehicle that is better engineered for your [odd] body.
Old 08-08-2009 | 05:13 PM
Instructor

Can you try taking a picture of this massive differance of the accelerater and brake pedal?
Old 08-08-2009 | 05:52 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by cellph titled
Can you try taking a picture of this massive differance of the accelerater and brake pedal?
i'm thinking about it since people on here obviously don't have the answer to my question. and that is how to lower the pedal. Not "whats the best seat position to maneuver the car". haha

Has anyone ever heard of a shade tree mechanic? Its a guy that uses "work arounds" to fix something rather than fixing it the right way. Likewise, moving my seat to accomodate for a funky brake pedal is not the answer. And all I asked for was a straight answer regarding lowering the pedal, and I get all these guys telling me my seat position is wrong or I need to drive differently and pivot my foot. DUH! I always pivot my foot when I drive but in this car, its not that easy since the pedal is too high.
Old 08-08-2009 | 05:53 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Have you at least tried any of the advice given here? People are trying to help you.
Old 08-08-2009 | 05:54 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Your a dork. you really think I'm going to read your post?
Old 08-08-2009 | 05:55 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by AMAN1
Have you at least tried any of the advice given here? People are trying to help you.
the advice was "pivot my foot" LIKE I DONT KNOW THAT OR EVER DROVE A CAR BEFORE!!!

IT DOESNT WORK

NEXT!
Old 08-08-2009 | 06:12 PM
Team Owner

Your a dork. you really think I'm going to read your post?
Of course you're not. I wouldn't want you to take advice from someone who knows more more about cars than you. After all, you're a mechanical engineer.

You see, you follow the same pattern with every post. You ask a question and then you won't listen to anyone else. A word of advice, you're not that smart, I laugh at many of your theories. Sit back and listen to others who know what they're talking about.

And in reality, you did read my post. I don't think I would go around calling others a dork when you are a walking stick.
Old 08-08-2009 | 06:16 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Have you tried mounting your heel a little farther back?

the only way to settle this is to show us a pic of your pedals and we'll see if it's different than most cars.
Old 08-08-2009 | 06:27 PM
Instructor

When I read that you have to lift up you leg, I imagine you raising your leg up past the steering wheel and then going down to press the brake.
Old 08-08-2009 | 06:48 PM
Team Owner

Have you tried mounting your heel a little farther back?

the only way to settle this is to show us a pic of your pedals and we'll see if it's different than most cars.
He has somehow ruled out his foot position without trying another TL.

And Chad, if you're going to call other people stupid, make sure you don't misspell the title of your thread.
Old 08-09-2009 | 07:17 PM
Senior Moderator

keep it cool guys, next person do post something out of line here will get a vacation. I Hate Cars, you don't want to up CSW, do you?

to the Orignal Poster, if you feel you have an issue with your car, please post a picture of the brake pedal with a ruler in-front of it so we can see how high it is. Also take a few other photos so we can see if anything else is wrong.

Also please do take a photo of the driver-floor mat near the accelerator. The folks here are willing to help you, but you must help us help you first.
Old 08-09-2009 | 08:57 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by csmeance
keep it cool guys, next person do post something out of line here will get a vacation. I Hate Cars, you don't want to up CSW, do you?

to the Orignal Poster, if you feel you have an issue with your car, please post a picture of the brake pedal with a ruler in-front of it so we can see how high it is. Also take a few other photos so we can see if anything else is wrong.

Also please do take a photo of the driver-floor mat near the accelerator. The folks here are willing to help you, but you must help us help you first.
I would hate to outdo him. So for his sake I'll be good lol.
Old 08-09-2009 | 09:10 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by csmeance

I forgot, check this guy out, he has a history of asking a question and after getting answers he says he's a mechanical engineer and everyone else is stupid. It gets a bit annoying after a while.
Old 08-10-2009 | 03:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

He he this thread is kinda funny, but to the topic, my 2001 CL-S had really bad pedal positioning. That was by far my biggest complaint with the car. My leg would get really tired on longer drives. If I was well positioned for the accelerator I had to really lift my foot to cover the brake, and if I was well positioned for the brake pedal I had to use my toes to floor the car (not that I had to do floor it but regular driving was a stretch too)
the foot rest was pretty much useless as it was really far back.

With that said, my CL and a loaner 05 TL were the only cars I had that problem with. My current TL is just the way it should be (except I want to raise the foot rest about 1/2 an inch).
Old 08-12-2009 | 02:39 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

What happened to CSW ?

Anyways.. we need a pic.. this sounds way too unusual to be an issue. I'm an engineer but there's a lot of things I don't know and from my time here, I know that it would behoove you to listen to advice from IHC.

Chad.. Have you ever suffered from paroneal neuropathy.. I had "drop foot" on my left leg and even though I've since recovered my left still doesn't go as far back as my right. Just putting it out there..
Old 08-12-2009 | 03:49 PM

^^ I just saw the recent thread in the Audio section.. You have to have a twisted mind to think of a pineapple in that fashion.. lol.. Word of advice when dealing with some engineers.. don't start a debate with them because they'll argue their viewpoint for years whether they're wrong or not.. My favorite mediation is to simply say: "I believe that you think you're correct" and end the conversation there. lol...

well as not to get totally off-topic.. maybe this will help.

Old 08-12-2009 | 04:03 PM
Team Owner

Very good info! I figured there was a typical threaded rod type of adjustment. I may go and adjust mine so that it's easier to drive with work boots/hiking boots. I also like the "slop" adjustment. Mine has a bit of travel before it applies the brakes. After bleeding them I may adjust this too.....carefully making sure I don't cause the brakes to drag.

Thank you!
Old 08-12-2009 | 04:10 PM

Very good info! I figured there was a typical threaded rod type of adjustment. I may go and adjust mine so that it's easier to drive with work boots/hiking boots. I also like the "slop" adjustment. Mine has a bit of travel before it applies the brakes. After bleeding them I may adjust this too.....carefully making sure I don't cause the brakes to drag.

Thank you!
I love driving with my timbs on.. "feels" like the TL got a kick in the butt.. lol.. But I'm an island boy so I usually drive with my zories (slippers).. I do have a size 14 foot so I can drive barefoot no problem..
Old 08-12-2009 | 04:35 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Majofo
I love driving with my timbs on.. "feels" like the TL got a kick in the butt.. lol.. But I'm an island boy so I usually drive with my zories (slippers).. I do have a size 14 foot so I can drive barefoot no problem..
Wow, it's not very often someone has a larger shoe than my size 13. Unfortunately my feet grew before the rest of me so I was 4'11" as a freshman with size 13 feet. That was a rough time lol.
Old 08-12-2009 | 05:22 PM

I'm a size 14 depending on the shoe.. I have a few pairs that are 13.. and before anyone makes a smart ass comment about socks.. it's the johnson that's big.. lol..
Old 08-12-2009 | 06:05 PM
Team Owner

LOL.

When I first met the girlfriend she commented on my big hands and feet. I told her not to get her hopes up, there was nothing left over for the other parts. I got a
Old 08-12-2009 | 06:10 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Too Much Information people...

But wow, I didn't know you could adjust your brake pedal for travel as well. I wanna try this.
Old 08-12-2009 | 06:26 PM

LOL.

When I first met the girlfriend she commented on my big hands and feet. I told her not to get her hopes up, there was nothing left over for the other parts. I got a
lol.. she's a keeper.

Too Much Information people...

But wow, I didn't know you could adjust your brake pedal for travel as well. I wanna try this.
I would be cautious as IHC suggested.
Old 08-12-2009 | 07:29 PM
Instructor

Lowering the front of the seat does exactly what you described, having to raise your leg to brake, because the heel is forced closer to the pedals assuming the same back position and body relative to the steering wheel. What you want to do is tilt the front up instead of raising the seat, which allows you to sit your heel further back. Maybe the pedal in your car is indeed higher than everybody else' but calling names doesn't prove a point (ENG101).

I am a rocket scientist, well, sorta.
Old 10-24-2012 | 05:50 PM
Drifting

Hey I just saw this page in the helms book.. And I am going to try and adjust the pedal height. But only after I bleed the brakes. I have the Speed Bleeder valves. I hope it works ok and it does what it says and it lasts without leaking air into the system. I have no idea peoples experience with speed bleeders, but I was excited to see that this brake height is adjustible. This brake pedal height problem and the excessive travel that I have to go through everytime I brake, is the whole reason why I got these speed bleeders.. I thought I was getting exccessive travel from old fluid. I didn't know the pedal was adjustible. But since I got the bleeders and my fluid is old, I'm going to change the fluid anyway... But I think if I can get the brake at the right height, and then put on anti-sway bars, my car will feel a lot more sporty. I bought some precision cut 25% tint the other day and removed the old drivers side 35% and its amazing the difference. I still have to do the passenger side, had to order more. only $25 for the whole car but the wind caught the passenger side tint and creased it, so had to reorder. Oh well.. it's cheap. But I'm happy about this brake pedal level. I didn't know Majofo had posted this pic until I did a google search trying to find this post where I was complaining about the pedal height. Maybe I am not subscribed. I found this page in the book then I saw majofo had already posted it. I'll give it a shot later.

Gee, this post is 3 years old!! haha Its been that long. My car still only has 67k miles. I was going to trade, but these dang Z06's are still too high.. not to mention I posted on Corvettefoum.com this week about buying advice, and many guys said get a waranty or "be prepared".. I was like HOLY CRAP! These are corvette owners warning me about it and I did not ask about reliability!.. So, with the high price of the car, Head issues, and high insurance and who knows what other problems, I better keep my TL and make it more sporty if I can. At least for another year..

Originally Posted by Majofo
^^ I just saw the recent thread in the Audio section.. You have to have a twisted mind to think of a pineapple in that fashion.. lol.. Word of advice when dealing with some engineers.. don't start a debate with them because they'll argue their viewpoint for years whether they're wrong or not.. My favorite mediation is to simply say: "I believe that you think you're correct" and end the conversation there. lol...

well as not to get totally off-topic.. maybe this will help.

Last edited by Chad05TL; 10-24-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-23-2013 | 08:12 PM
Drifting

I still have not done this yet,.. but maybe I can now that I am off a few days. I've been doing wheels, and navigation and interior light change and also I just did a 3 quart tranny fluid change again.. makes #4 I think. getting ready to drive for holidays