Blistered bumper paint...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 06:06 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
its wed. no car yet, but that's ok. i dont' want them rushing the job. the cranky (crappy) battery, will be replaced (on my dime of course) but the shop will install for free (they are starting to earn a few brownie points again). they looked at the bumper and sanded down a bit to find out what was causing the issue. the painter felt quite strongly that the problem was most likely with the sealer that was used. the manager told they went ahead and ordered a new OEM acura bumper to replace it. he didn't want to risk possible contamination of the old bumper and have the problem occur again later down the line. so...brand new bumper and paint . more brownie points given. the manager and i both want this done correctly, so they are taking care of me so far.

so i'm pleased with the process thus far. i'll be a much happier camper once i get the car back and give it a once over.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:30 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Talking Update

so after spending the week without the TL at home....the car is finally back home.

all i have to say is "THANKS" to the manager over at the shop. he took care of me AND went out of his way to make sure my car was taken care of while it was there (ie, he was the only one driving it, washing and detailing it, and personally looked into the paint and the finish of the new bumper). so they've managed to get back on my good side. he installed the new battery for me and noticed the shiny (well dirty) CAI pipe under the hood so we started to talk cars a little, and he mentioned he owned a 3G TL before his current lexus. he said his TL was lowered on teins...not sure what other mods he had, but at least he knew where i was coming from as an enthusiast b/c he happens to be one too.

the baby's rear end looks good, smooth shiny paint that matches the rest of the car and the new bumper fits a bit better too. of course i looked over the work with a fine toothed comb and any flaws (there was one), he took care of for me while i was there. all in all, both managers, but mostly the shop manager himself, i talked and worked with, made sure i was completely satisfied with the work. now...i just have to wait 3 mos before i do anything to the bumper (detail)...hopefully the bumper is now good to go for as long as i own the car (which will be a long time).

on a side note, they were impressed with how clean and smooth the paint on the rest of the car felt considering the car is over 6 yrs old and a girl owns it. heh heh. now i need a porter cable to do some hard core detailing (donations are welcome!).

unfortunately, the car has to sit out in the elements for a few months...by which time the snow will start falling. dammit i need a garage!