Best brake pads for a base 04 TL

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 01:14 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Best brake pads for a base 04 TL

Hello

Just got an oil change and a mechanic told me that my brake pads are almost out on my front. However, I have about 30% on the back.

My front brakes are squealing when they are not warmed up so I know it's time to change them.

Question: what is the best brake pads out there in terms of durability and longevity. Of course it is suspectable to wear.

The place I went to had lifetime pads for $210 installed. What do you guys think?
Old 09-20-2010, 01:31 PM
Race Director

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,348 Posts

Please search. This possibly the most exhaustively discussed subject on this forum.

Also, use this link to find out lots of info on maintenance, recalls, etc. Please read the newbie rules.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/check-these-sources-out-if-youre-having-problem-just-want-learn-something-767930/
Old 09-20-2010, 02:23 PM
6th Gear

hi fellow tl owner! we own two acuras, a 90 legend with almost 300'000 miles on it and a 99tl with over 183'000 miles on it and i can tell ya that i've been down the same road! but since i've changed over to "ceramic brake pads" my problems are over! they last a lot longer, don't get powder all over my wheels, don't wear out my rotors prematurely and don't cost that much more! i like the wagner brand and usually get them at advance auto parts but i'm sure others carry them as well. also, consider doing them yourself! it's not that hard! you can go to you tube.com, go to search and just type: replace your own disc brake pads. you will find lots of videos showing you how to do it yourself and they're very good! you'll also save a lot of $. finally, the decision is always yours to either do it yourself or have someone else do it for you but as far as the brake pads themselves, i will only use and highly recommend "ceramic"
Old 09-20-2010, 07:12 PM
Make it so

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Thumbs up

I'm sure someone is bound to say it, but there are a ton of threads on this topic.

But for the sake of helping you out, I'll tell you my experience since I changed my brake pads not even a week ago. I had never done it, but I used the DIY threads in the 3G garage to find out how to do it. Saved me money, and I feel smarter too. You can't put a price on feeling confident about knowing how to work on your car.

I read throughout the forums and I went with Duralast CMAX Gold pads from Autozone. About $110 for both front and back, which is a bit steep, but keeping your receipt means you get a new set once these wear out. So keep your receipt. They are ceramic so brake dust will be a thing of the past. They are a step up from the OEM equivalent, and I have had no squeaking (after the first day, as I broke them in) and the stopping power is excellent.

My recommendation might not have much weight since it's just been a week since I've had them, but they came highly recommended here on AZ and so I know I can't go wrong. And if someone can screw working on a car, it's me. And they were easy to replace (like all brake pads). Don't pay some chump money to do something you can do yourself in just an hour.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by DuoDSG
I went with Duralast CMAX Gold pads from Autozone. About $110 for both front and back, which is a bit steep, but keeping your receipt means you get a new set once these wear out. So keep your receipt.
AZ no longer honors a wear out warranty.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:37 PM
Make it so

Thumbs up

Aww bummer. What kind of warranty is it then? Just defects in workmanship?
Old 09-20-2010, 11:22 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by DuoDSG
I'm sure someone is bound to say it, but there are a ton of threads on this topic.

But for the sake of helping you out, I'll tell you my experience since I changed my brake pads not even a week ago. I had never done it, but I used the DIY threads in the 3G garage to find out how to do it. Saved me money, and I feel smarter too. You can't put a price on feeling confident about knowing how to work on your car.

I read throughout the forums and I went with Duralast CMAX Gold pads from Autozone. About $110 for both front and back, which is a bit steep, but keeping your receipt means you get a new set once these wear out. So keep your receipt. They are ceramic so brake dust will be a thing of the past. They are a step up from the OEM equivalent, and I have had no squeaking (after the first day, as I broke them in) and the stopping power is excellent.

My recommendation might not have much weight since it's just been a week since I've had them, but they came highly recommended here on AZ and so I know I can't go wrong. And if someone can screw working on a car, it's me. And they were easy to replace (like all brake pads). Don't pay some chump money to do something you can do yourself in just an hour.
Excellent post ! I might just try to do this myself if I have the courage. It shouldn't be that hard as I saw my dad do it once and there doesn't seem to be a big problem doing it. The only thing that's gonna be hard for me is a garage as I dont have the space to do it. I'll probably hire someone to do it..
Old 09-21-2010, 02:06 AM
Advanced

And for the life of me, i never bought brake pads before in my life (oil filter, and oil all the time). Do they come in pairs per box or singles? - LOL
Old 09-21-2010, 06:21 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by kitkit201
And for the life of me, i never bought brake pads before in my life (oil filter, and oil all the time). Do they come in pairs per box or singles? - LOL
They come in a set which is four pads for two rotors. Here are a few things you need to observe before just switching the pads yourself.
  • How much material (metal) is left on the rotors? One way to quickly determine this is to look for a distinct ridge at the very edge of the rotors. If it is slight, move to the next check. If it is rather pronounced, you will need to have them replaced.
  • Are there noticeable grooves in the rotors which can easily be felt and seen? Fine grooves are to be expected, but not ones which are more obvious. If they are more than fine, you should consider having them turned by a shop.
  • Have the right parts and accessories such as braking cleaning spray and anti squeal grease/caliper lube before you start.
  • Get your hands on the Service Manual for your car or check with the 3G garage here on this site. Don't just jump in and start doing this if you have no experience. While not a hard or taxing project, people do sometimes screw it up.
  • Be prepared to bed your new pads in. This is a whole different topic and one which you need to research.

Finally, spend time researching on this site for information to help you along and make your job easier. It never hurts to have your ducks in a row before tackling something as important as brakes. It is a simple job so don't fret doing it.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:30 AM
Make it so

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by kitkit201
Excellent post ! I might just try to do this myself if I have the courage. It shouldn't be that hard as I saw my dad do it once and there doesn't seem to be a big problem doing it. The only thing that's gonna be hard for me is a garage as I dont have the space to do it. I'll probably hire someone to do it..
I know it depends on your particular situation, but at my apartment complex I have no covered parking or a garage. But enough spaces are always open that I just did it on the edge of the lot myself, out of everyone's way. Your landlord may not be too happy with that, though, but I am tight with mine so I knew they didn't care.

If you need any help, I am willing to lend any help from my recent experience. But definitely do research around a lot, as has been said, around the forum because they will know more than I ever will. That sum of knowledge is where I got my start.