Battery and factory alarm

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 08:30 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery and factory alarm

This is my first time posting so sorry if these questions have been answered before.
I have an 04 Acura TL, lately my "panic alarm" has been randomly going off. At first I thought it was only when my doors were locked but, now it's been doing it even when there unlocked. The only time my horn doesn't beep is when the keys are left in the ignition. Does anyone know what could be causing this.
Also I have a new battery in my car and I haven't left anything on, but if it sits for just a few hours (parked it at 5pm yesterday) and the battery was dead by 1am in the morning. Its been doing this for a few days now.
If anyone could help with these issues I would appreciate it.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:26 AM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
Welcome to Azine...

The alarm only goes off theoretically when the car is armed, and the doors are unlocked from the inside.. Meaning someone breaks the window, and the moment he unlocks the door the alarm will trigger. Not the greatest factory alarm idea

I can assume that your car is not sensing the unlock/disarm as it should. Or maybe the remote itself keeps on jamming?

The battery, is it Honda stock? Can you take a reading with a multimeter to get the voltage with the engine on and off? It can be the battery or alternator or something as simple as bad ground wire...

Good luck, and provide us with some more clues.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:55 AM
Cruisin'

my '05 MT just started doing the same exact thing...it just goes off randomly when its parked and doors are locked. Thank goodness my battery hasnt died...yet. I think it could have something to do with my recent ipod install b/c it didnt start happening until after i got it installed. im going to get it taken out, which i hope will solve the problem.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:21 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by jfaulkner937
This is my first time posting so sorry if these questions have been answered before.
I have an 04 Acura TL, lately my "panic alarm" has been randomly going off. At first I thought it was only when my doors were locked but, now it's been doing it even when there unlocked. The only time my horn doesn't beep is when the keys are left in the ignition. Does anyone know what could be causing this.
Also I have a new battery in my car and I haven't left anything on, but if it sits for just a few hours (parked it at 5pm yesterday) and the battery was dead by 1am in the morning. Its been doing this for a few days now.
If anyone could help with these issues I would appreciate it.
That's odd that it does it when the doors are not locked. Are you sure it's not auto locking and then going off?

At first I was thinking it's possible your door switch is not adjusted well or faulty. There have been several complaints of the interior lights coming on when going over bumps or cornering due to this problem. It can also be the trunk or hood. Have you messed with either lately?

Battery going dead over night, assuming the battery is good, is usually the HFL going bad. It will drain the battery even when the car is off. There's a thread somewhere on which fuse to pull to disable it to test. Does your HFL work?

I've never heard of it but I'm sure the electronics for the alarm can fail in such a way that it can drain the battery too.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:39 PM
2nd Gear

The battery is new and a factory battery. I haven't messed with anything on the car recently to make it do this. The only time the alarm does not go off is when I leave the keys in the ignition with the doors unlocked.
If I take the keys out of the ignition lock the doors, or not the horn starts blowing and the lights go off. Like I hit the panic button on the remote.
I drove my car yesterday left the keys in the ignition and when I went to leave for work this morning the battery was dead. Everything in the car has been working properly (except) the memory seat buttons. I wouldn't think that would be causing this.
I just don't want to start dumping money into a car especially if it's having electrical issues. So if any one has experienced this before I would appreciate the input.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:06 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
I remember reading about a similar issue a couple years back.. I believe it ended up being the battery.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:22 AM
Cruisin'

My factory alarm goes off at random times (usually at night) for no apparent reason. So every night before going to bed I disconnect my battery, then reconnect it in the morning before going to work. I took it back to the dealer after a week of this nonsense, and they thought it could be the driver's door lock actuator malfunctioning making the alarm think that someone was trying to open the door.

$200 and 1 week later, the f-in alarm is doing the same thing, going off in the middle of the night costing me precious sleep. im going to take it back to them this week but i have a feeling they will continue replacing crap visit after visit until i stop coming back...costing me $$$$$ to replace crap unnecessarily.

Oh, and to add insult to injury, this morning my car refused to start. i can't tell if its the battery (b/c lights, horn, radio, etc work fine) or if its related to the alarm, or if its a totally new problem.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:37 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this happened to me only when i inistalled an aftermarket alarm. the place i took it to did not disable the factory alarm so when i used aftermarket alarm to unlock the car, the factory alarm kept going off. maybe the alarm itself has malfunctioned?
Old 01-28-2011, 05:44 PM
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Same issue just started happening today, I just changed battery last week. I don't have any after market accessories on the car. Passenger airbag light randomly came on this evening on drive home from work and when I get in and put key in display shows driver and passenger door open. They won't go off until I put my seatbelt in, for some reason the car thinks those doors are open. Very weird all this stuff just started, little stuff like this pisses me off. Will do some research, it's a short somewhere.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:32 PM
eg5
user title goes here

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
sensor behind the key tumbler inside the door. ckeck for proper operation or obvious failure
Old 01-30-2011, 09:13 AM
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by eg5
sensor behind the key tumbler inside the door. ckeck for proper operation or obvious failure
How do I get to that sensor?
Old 01-30-2011, 10:32 AM
eg5
user title goes here

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
remove the door panel, remove plastic cover from door, peek inside door(window must be up). ive had two ocasions where this was a fault. not saying itll be the same case here but its worth a try