Battery and Alt. Test fine but trouble starting

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 04:26 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery and Alt. Test fine but trouble starting

First time posting, not sure if im in the right spot but could use some help.

Have an 08, 3.2, TL. And have had some problems trying to start. It takes 2 or 3 key turns(like the battery is dead) then it starts fine. Recently had the alternator die on me while driving and replaced it. Also have had past battery issues as well.

I'm thinking charging system harness or bad grounds?

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated thanks!
Old 10-09-2017, 04:34 PM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Well, I can tell you that this will probably be moved to the 3G troubleshooting forum.

So just to clarify, the first few times you turn the key it doesn't even turn over? What happens when you attempt to crank the engine? Do the dash lights dim or turn off? If the lights dim and/or you hear some sort of clicking then it may be a stuck or failing starter solenoid.

I've never had any electrical issues like this so I'm not a pro but I would certainly start by checking all the connections between the starter, battery and alternator. I'd disconnect them, use a steel brush on them as well as electrical cleaner on the surfaces, then reinstall.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:36 PM

Received 5,883 Likes on 2,899 Posts
MODERATOR NOTE: Thread moved to model-specific forum for better response.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:20 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by Blueonblack08
First time posting, not sure if im in the right spot but could use some help.

Have an 08, 3.2, TL. And have had some problems trying to start. It takes 2 or 3 key turns(like the battery is dead) then it starts fine. Recently had the alternator die on me while driving and replaced it. Also have had past battery issues as well.

I'm thinking charging system harness or bad grounds?

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated thanks!
Have you considered trying to replace the + battery cable? At this age it might be corroded internally to the point where it can't effectively conduct enough juice to start the car. I had a similar problem last year and sure enough, replacing that cable did the trick.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,580 Likes on 6,628 Posts
Replace your battery
Old 10-16-2017, 01:30 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
How many miles are on your car? What your describing sounds like it could be your starter thats the weak point. Since you said the alternator died recently your battery might also be on its way out. They die slowly which weakens the battery as it does typically. But before guessing or buying/replacing parts, have you tested either or had them tested to check voltage, output, etc?