Ball joint boot

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2020 | 10:26 PM
Advanced

Ball joint boot

Hi!
I wonder if someone has been successful with lower control arm ball joint boot replacing?
I have both boots torn and ordered new boots. I removed old one but could not install new. It does not fit. I didn't get how to do this. There is a metal ring on the bottom of the boot and the ball joint is much thicker. So I torn a new one trying to do this.

Old 06-06-2020 | 10:53 PM
Race Director

That's the metal collar/sleeve that came out with the ball joint. It's supposed to stay inside the control arm and can't be bought separately.
You can separate it with heat (oxy-acetylene or mapp gas), PB Blaster, and a ball joint separator tool. Expect it to shoot out once it breaks free from the ball joint.
Manual calls to replace the lower control arm if the collar comes loose but many of us are fine with just pressing it back in.

Worse case, you can remove the whole knuckle and bring it to a shop to help you out.
Old 06-07-2020 | 01:07 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
That's the metal collar/sleeve that came out with the ball joint. It's supposed to stay inside the control arm and can't be bought separately.
You can separate it with heat (oxy-acetylene or mapp gas), PB Blaster, and a ball joint separator tool. Expect it to shoot out once it breaks free from the ball joint.
Manual calls to replace the lower control arm if the collar comes loose but many of us are fine with just pressing it back in.

Worse case, you can remove the whole knuckle and bring it to a shop to help you out.
I'm sorry, I can not get you. That is the metal collar/sleeve? What do you mean, what is the metal collar/sleeve? Are you talking about something in the picture?
And the ball joint is not a part of lower control arm. It is pressed into a knuckle.
I will try to find a video...
Old 06-07-2020 | 07:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by firebolt
That is the metal collar/sleeve? What do you mean, what is the metal collar/sleeve? Are you talking about something in the picture?
Firebolt, the 'collar' is the part circled in yellow. The area highlighted in red is the ball joint with its fastener shaft. The collar (yellow) is not supposed to be on the shaft of the balljoint, as shown in your picture. The collar is supposed to remain, upon ball joint separation, in the lower control arm. That collar should be removed to easily fit your new ball joint rubbers.

Last edited by zeta; 06-07-2020 at 07:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
firebolt (06-07-2020)
Old 06-07-2020 | 09:09 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by zeta
Firebolt, the 'collar' is the part circled in yellow. The area highlighted in red is the ball joint with its fastener shaft. The collar (yellow) is not supposed to be on the shaft of the balljoint, as shown in your picture. The collar is supposed to remain, upon ball joint separation, in the lower control arm. That collar should be removed to easily fit your new ball joint rubbers.
Wow! It's amazing explanation! Thank you, thank you, thank you!