Lower ball joint & cv axle nightmare Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 03:33 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lower ball joint & cv axle nightmare Advice

I attempted to change my axle with a raxles replacement under warranty and for the love of god couldn't manage to get the inner joint out. In the process I ended up ruining the screw thread on the bottom lower ball joint which left my car immobile and had to get AAA to tow my car from my street out front to my driveway lol. Anyhow I ordered the ball joint to attempt to install t myself since I was quoted 140 for the job and took off the knuckle just an hour or two ago. My question is would I be better off just gettinga new knuckle instead of putting in a new ball joint?
Old 06-13-2017, 03:36 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Just install the new ball joint.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:43 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,165 Likes on 876 Posts
??
woah....

What was your procedure for trying to remove the axle joint? Were you just pulling on the axle?

Buy another OEM ball joint. From Acura.

The spindle is already out. That's like 90% of the work of installing a new joint.

Put the spindle against something non-moveable. I used a garage foundation.

The best tool to use for removal is an air hammer. But...a regular hammer works too, I suppose. Just don't bend or damage the spindle.

use a rented autozone ball joint press to re-install the new joint.

Again...buy your new joint from an Acura dealer. I use bernardiparts or curry acura.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:28 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
I see the problem: a Fram oil filter j/k

As Roland said, you're already half way there. Just be sure you are using an OEM ball joint.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:04 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Roland_Bluntzs
??
woah....

What was your procedure for trying to remove the axle joint? Were you just pulling on the axle?

The spindle is already out. That's like 90% of the work of installing a new joint.

Put the spindle against something non-moveable. I used a garage foundation.

The best tool to use for removal is an air hammer. But...a regular hammer works too, I suppose. Just don't bend or damage the spindle.

use a rented autozone ball joint press to re-install the new joint.

Again...buy your new joint from an Acura dealer. I use bernardiparts or curry acura.
No lol, I wish it was that easy I tried to wedge it out and couldn't so I figured I'd just put everything back together to get a mechanic to do it tho I couldn't tighten the ball joint and tried to move my car just into my drive way from the street and the axle broke as such what's the spindle? The balljoint seems to have a ledge that is part of the wheel bearing. Am I supposed to hit it with a hammer where the score is exactly or on the side with a chisel?
Old 06-13-2017, 05:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
Make certain the "sleeve" stays in the knuckle.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:02 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Turbonut

You mean control arm?
Old 06-13-2017, 06:10 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Glorygang600
No lol, I wish it was that easy I tried to wedge it out and couldn't so I figured I'd just put everything back together to get a mechanic to do it tho I couldn't tighten the ball joint and tried to move my car just into my drive way from the street and the axle broke as such what's the spindle? The balljoint seems to have a ledge that is part of the wheel bearing. Am I supposed to hit it with a hammer where the score is exactly or on the side with a chisel?
try cleaning the threads of that ball joint. You may not need to replace it.

Start by removing the pieces of broken cotter pin.

Then grab the UNTHREADED portion of the ball joint stud with locking vise grip pliers. Don't use regular pliers.

then use an impact to run the nut up and down the threads several times until it travels smoothly.

Then...preferrably, buy a new nut from Honda/Acura. From a dealer. Buy the right part from an Acura dealer. This is important. Not just any nut. The one for the TL lower ball joint. From an Acura dealer.

The spindle is the part that the ball joint is pressed into.

Also....to remove the axle, get a pry bar between the axle cup and trans case. Smack the pry bar so it pries out the axle. Sometimes, a mallet helps. You're not trying to wedge it..you're trying to "pop" it out of the case by smacking the prybar in a prying motion.

When you put the spindle back on the car, use new cotter pins for all 3 ball studs.

Or take it to a mechanic.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 191 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by nfnsquared
I see the problem: a Fram oil filter j/k

As Roland said, you're already half way there. Just be sure you are using an OEM ball joint.
I was looking at the Fram in digust too, almost trying to pin the issue on it!
you could have pushed the car into your driveway! The car is not that heavy.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbonut
Originally Posted by Roland_Bluntzs
You mean control arm?
Yup! Thanks for the correction.