Auto Trans Failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 08:16 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Auto Trans Failure

Okay so I figure I tell the story of what happened. I am on order to drive to FT Knox and today my trans decided to crap out on me. I was driving and had the car on cruise control doing about 70 MPH. All of a sudden the rpms sky-rocketed and the car slowly stop driving. I pulled of fortunately on an exit and the tried giving it gas but no luck. The car no longer goes out of 1st gear. I am in the middle of nowhere in Indiana now smh. My problem has only begun. With me getting this trans fixed, I am for sure now keeping this car. What I would like to know is how easy would it be to swap for another auto trans. I have an 2004 and I have been looking on car-part.com. So I will be sticking with the 2004-2006. I just would like to know how difficult would it be doing a direct swap the trans I saw on the site had a 1 year warranty. Just would like some good advice and direction.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:22 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
are you doing the swap by yourself?
if so, hard as fuck.

it's not a one day swap; especially if you've never done a tranny swap before.

Originally Posted by CaliBud916
So I bought a 2004 TL recently, got a good deal because the transmission was slipping. I plan on swapping in an 07 accord tranny, bought it today, now I just have to wait a few days for it to get here.

I will post updates on how everything goes and what needs to be done in order to get the accord tranny to work. If you guys have any questions/comments, post em in here. I will also post some pics along the way.

Got to have my front bumper repainted due to some cracked/scratched paint, so I just thought I'd take the whole front end off lol

Old tranny is out. Now waiting for new one.

The tool that made it all possible - The Ingersoll Rand w7150. No annoying air lines or noise compressors. A must have in my opinion.

If you guys have any tips/advice post that in here too. I will update when the transmission arrives (just bought it today so hopefully within the week I'll have it)...
https://acurazine.com/forums/problem...o-pics-915808/
Old 12-07-2014, 08:39 PM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
Go with an 06-07 accord 3.0 v6 transmission as you can see I did in the post above (thanks justn ). I personally had not done a transmission swap at the time, but have assisted various friends at doing it and I've been working on cars on and off since I was 17, so that helped. But if you are mechanically inclined even a bit more than the average person, it shouldn't be a problem. Get the right tools (an impact helps tremendously, jack/jack stands and preferably an engine crane - I didn't have one when taking off the tranny and almost got my hand crushed because as I was lowering it, it fell off the jack). As for the transmission, shop around, I found mine on ebay, 700 with shipping.
The following 2 users liked this post by CaliBud916:
darian1789 (12-08-2014), justnspace (12-07-2014)
Old 12-07-2014, 09:23 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by CaliBud916
Go with an 06-07 accord 3.0 v6 transmission as you can see I did in the post above (thanks justn ). I personally had not done a transmission swap at the time, but have assisted various friends at doing it and I've been working on cars on and off since I was 17, so that helped. But if you are mechanically inclined even a bit more than the average person, it shouldn't be a problem. Get the right tools (an impact helps tremendously, jack/jack stands and preferably an engine crane - I didn't have one when taking off the tranny and almost got my hand crushed because as I was lowering it, it fell off the jack). As for the transmission, shop around, I found mine on ebay, 700 with shipping.
Thanks so much for the info. As far as tools on base they have a shop where you can work on your car I just need to know how many days it might take me then. And basically i see the only time consuming thing is the wiring. Also does that trans bolt directly up with no problems. That's the reason I was staying with the 04-06.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:36 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by justnspace
are you doing the swap by yourself?
if so, hard as fuck.

it's not a one day swap; especially if you've never done a tranny swap before
My I ask why you say it's hard. Also could you provide me insight on the range harness like I would like to fully understand what you did swapping it. You made one heck of a write up. I'm going to get the accord trans from car-part.com then since it will be cheaper
Old 12-08-2014, 11:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
how many mile you have on your TL?
Old 12-08-2014, 10:17 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by truonghthe
how many mile you have on your TL?
180k.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:15 AM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by darian1789
My I ask why you say it's hard. Also could you provide me insight on the range harness like I would like to fully understand what you did swapping it. You made one heck of a write up. I'm going to get the accord trans from car-part.com then since it will be cheaper
You just take your range harness and plug it in to where it goes on the accord tranny. Its that easy. No wring or any bs like that needed. Your TL range harness plugs right in to the accord transmission, but where you plug the range harness in the engine harness its a different plug, this is why you are required to swap your TL one over to the accord tranny. The accord range harness just has a different plug that won't match your engine harness.

Also the 06-07 accord tranny will bolt up directly. Its looks exactly like a TL transmission, as you can see in my write up.

Other suggestions: change your axle seals, and main seal on the transmission and transmission oil filter while you have it out. Sooo much easier to do.

Also considering your mileage, you may want to change your rear main oil seal, because you can only get to it while the tranny is off