applied the felt fix on moonroof, noises hear now while closed

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007 | 11:03 PM
Racer

applied the felt fix on moonroof, noises hear now while closed

so I placed some felt as far as the DIY posts shown in this section and there is a slight rattle on big bumps with the sunroof in tilt. When it is completely closed, it rattles like no other. it is intermittent and at some times it actually buzzes, then some times it was creak.

I also felted up the passenger door side compartment because that was sourced as a place for a ticking noise, like metal on metal, that sounds like it comes from the passenger side door panel, however, nothing. I really don't want to open that panel up. Anything else to tackle the passenger side door ticking?
Old 10-02-2007 | 08:42 PM
Banned

Use weather stipping on the moonroof instead of felt and the rattles will disappear
Old 10-19-2007 | 12:47 AM
Instructor

I've just pinpointed what I THOUGHT was a door 'creak' or rattle to the moonroof area. My noise was occurring when going between 20-40 mph, over moderate bumps, with the moonroof closed.

I finally found that if I slide open the inner shield, and 'squeeze' the roof liner and the metalic moonroof 'rail' together, the noise would stop. I later found that I can simply push up hard against the roof liner right at the edge of the moonroof. Tonight I jammed some foam in the gap between the roof liner and the rail, and it seems to have stopped the rattle also. I need to figure how to make this more permanent. I'll take some pictures assuming it is still quiet tomorrow.

Can you give me a pointer to the best moonroof threads that you are referring to - I'm now searching high and low for tips on moonroof issues.

I've also noticed that my glove compartment is starting to rattle a bit; I can press hard against it and stop it ... so I need to make it's 'closure' tighter.
Old 10-25-2007 | 12:35 AM
Instructor

After a frustrating week, I have a little progress to report. First, here's the spot where I can press hard and stop the rattle (passenger side):

And here's where I jammed the foam rubber (old mouse pad) to try to stop it:

And a close up:

So, the good news is, I know exactly what to 'press' to stop the noise, but the foam rubber is not enough to completely stop it. I then tried to put foam rubber in other areas around the perimeter, but this just ended up making things worse - much worse.

So I'm stuck - I don't know how to fix this.

I've made sure my issue is not with the wind deflector.
Old 10-25-2007 | 01:19 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Ain't never ending roof rattles fun?

In my 3 1/2 years of ownership, I've had 14 visits to 3 different dealers for roof rattle issues. They fix one rattle/buzz, then another one pops up (no pun intended). Mine now rattles with the roof closed after they last fixed rattling when popped.

To paraphrase the words from a famous song by that 70's rock group Emerson, Lake, & Palmer........
WELCOME BACK MY FRIENDS TO THE SHOW THAT NEVER ENDS
Old 10-25-2007 | 10:04 AM
Instructor

My last Acura - Legend LS, Japanese made - had but one rattle when new, which I fixed with a folded up business card in the first week. After that - nothing. This is really a disappointing experience. But - it gives me something to do on my hour-long daily commute, so I guess it's ok

My headliner seems to be attached with what I'd call a 'variation on velcro' - large 'pins' that mate with corresponding 'pins' on the other side. All clips seem to be in place.

I noticed that if I push up from inside the car at either of the two front corners around the moonroof opening (the front-right corner being just in front of (to the left of) where my fingers are pressing up in the first picture above), I can cause quite a bit of squeaking. So that's where I tried adding more foam padding. But this caused the roof to squeak like hell over all manner of bumps, so I removed them all. It seems that the headliner will squeak/rattle at the slightest provocation. So at the moment, with just the one piece of foam in place as shown in the picture, the existing rattle is reduced. It still 'ticks' or 'slaps' or 'clicks' over moderate (not severe!) bumps, and only below 40mph, and it's always a 'single sound' - just one 'click', never a sequence.

I've searched the forum for various combos of "moonroof, clip, headliner" but I keep coming up with dead picture links and I'm not finding the much referenced DIY's on the moonroof either. I did find the one about putting felt under the wind deflector, but I've confirmed that that's not my problem.

As for the glove box - I've noticed it rattling also over moderately rough road at low speeds. If I press hard against the door, it stops. Yet the door is well 'damped' by rubber protrusions when closed, so I don't understand where it's coming from. I tried adding extra rubber between the door and body, such that it's actually hard to close, but this doesn't seem to fix it. So I wonder if the rattle is inside the glove box door itself?