APP Sensor replacing, due to code 2138. ECU Reset? Idle Relearn?

Old 04-27-2011, 12:10 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
APP Sensor replacing, due to code 2138. ECU Reset? Idle Relearn?

This week I had experienced the infamous no power when pressing the accelerator, VSA light came on along with the check engine light. After reading the code it came up as 2138, after reading quite few post on that, I've opted to replace the APP sensor. Waiting on it to come in tomorrow. Hopefully this does fix it, like numerous people have mentioned that it does.

My question is do I need to reset the ECU after replacing the APP sensor? At the dealership the service guy mentioned after I replace the APP sensor I would need to bring in the car tot he dealership for a ECU reset and Idle Relearn. And of course they would charge me nice $99 on top of the $145 I'm already spending on the APP sensor it self.

So if disconnect the battery for 30 mins or more, will that reset my ECU? By everything I have read I am assuming so.

Now the idle relearn, is that a separate step from the ECU reset? IS there something else I have to do in order to accomplish that task?

Thanks
Old 04-27-2011, 04:50 AM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
Sounds like the ultimate upsell and an easy way for the dealer to scam you out of some $$.

The SM makes zero mention of requiring either an ECU reset or the idle relearn procedure (idle relearn should be done anytime the ECU is reset).

In addition, I don't recall anyone who's DIY'd an APP sensor resetting the ECU.

The following 2 users liked this post by nfnsquared:
Dino81 (06-23-2011), silverc4s (10-29-2011)
Old 04-28-2011, 03:08 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, replaced it yesterday and working great so far.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:55 PM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just replaced the APP Sensor (successfully!) on my 07 TL-S this morning, and wanted to share my discovery.
The Large camber brace that goes from one shock tower to the other on the S-Type makes it very difficult to do this exchange. Essentially the APP sensor is bolted to a bracket by 2 10mm bolts, this bracket is then bolted with three rubber mounts using 10mm bolts again. The outer bracket is bolted to the chassis and the camber truss by two more 10mm bolts.

I unbolted the entire assembly, but it would not come out from underneath the camber truss because the bracket was too large for the opening. I ended up taking all three pieces apart under the truss, then I could lift the APP sensor out and disconnect the cable, and start the reinstall process.

I had to reassemble everything under the truss, but it was not so bad.

Hint: don't snug up the cable too much, or you will have a high idle. The sensor should sit firmly on the mechanical stop built into the assembly..

Runs better! I hope I have seen the last P2138 code...
Old 10-31-2011, 11:36 AM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have to replace this myself on my car. Do you have the link of the sensor? I need to buy it ASAP. Also how long did it take you to replace it?

Originally Posted by silverc4s
I just replaced the APP Sensor (successfully!) on my 07 TL-S this morning, and wanted to share my discovery.
The Large camber brace that goes from one shock tower to the other on the S-Type makes it very difficult to do this exchange. Essentially the APP sensor is bolted to a bracket by 2 10mm bolts, this bracket is then bolted with three rubber mounts using 10mm bolts again. The outer bracket is bolted to the chassis and the camber truss by two more 10mm bolts.

I unbolted the entire assembly, but it would not come out from underneath the camber truss because the bracket was too large for the opening. I ended up taking all three pieces apart under the truss, then I could lift the APP sensor out and disconnect the cable, and start the reinstall process.

I had to reassemble everything under the truss, but it was not so bad.

Hint: don't snug up the cable too much, or you will have a high idle. The sensor should sit firmly on the mechanical stop built into the assembly..

Runs better! I hope I have seen the last P2138 code...