Another VSA Problem + Slight Surging

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 08:51 PM
practicing nihilist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Another VSA Problem + Slight Surging

Codes: 27-1, 51-1, 83-1, 86-1 *I searched but only found one code previously discussed on this forum. Also have very faint surging at partial throttle: hold a pinch of pedal in gear and power gets slight surge at irregular intervals like the AC compressor kicking in repeatedly (it's not the AC). Not sure if they're related but it's possible.

First got VSA and /!\ after rinsing car off at a self service car wash with the high pressure wands. Didn't blast anything directly but rinsed the wheels wells and undercarriage out. Figured it was related to the wheel speed sensors after hosing them off. Removed and cleaned front sensors with compressed air (front right wheel actually locked up as I was turning into my hood at slow speed). Also checked the VSA fuses - fine. Lights remain. I will check the rears but doubt that will help.

Dealer won't fix it. Supposedly they have never seen these codes and had to call corporate. When corporate found out I had a CAI and exhaust (no wait, it gets funnier) they would not warranty it. I then had an amusing conversation with the service manager about how a CAI would affect the VSA system: "you don't even have these ports under the throttle body connected!". You mean the ones that loop coolant through the throttle body...in Florida...try again. He forfeited that convo and just told me I was SOL because of the modifications. I suspect only thing they could think to do was replace the VSA computer, which is a couple G's, and decided to throw the voided warranty card to save some money. Oh, they trouble shot this gripe for me before and blamed it on my 19" wheels. It eventually went away.

One thread that looked similar said he had a bad steering angle sensor. Also, read on an RL forum about resetting the VSA system by holding the brake and turning the ignition to ON, couple other steps. Is there a procedure like that for us?

Would one of you Delray guru's throw me some part numbers and schematics for the wheel speed sensors and the steering angle sensor, please? I can't get the schematics to pop up like some people can.

Is the steering angle sensor a DIY'er? 49,600 miles and she's starting to starting to fall apart. Like she knew the warranty fountain was running dry...
Old 07-09-2009, 11:29 AM
practicing nihilist

Anyone?

By the way, holding the brake pedal and VSA button, then turning key to ON (II) does reset the VSA light. Sometimes you have to keep holding while turning the key off and back on again but, usually it works.

lights just come right back in my case. I did check and clean all wheel speed sensors but didn't help.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
What dealership did you go to, OP? Did you try both?
Old 07-09-2009, 05:43 PM
practicing nihilist

It was OP. Gone there since I bought it from them. Not sure if there's new mgmt but, there's lots of new service desk people.

Did not try Duval. Already clicked over 50K and won't be in Jax any longer to shop around.