All New Brakes...Same Old Brake Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 09:32 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All New Brakes...Same Old Brake Noise

Quick Background
2006 TL 6sp w/ Brembos. I bought this car with 50K miles and it now has 60K. About 3-5k miles ago, the brakes started getting “noisy” in that I could hear them at low speeds, and at times braking. The low speed sound was a low metallic grinding sound, almost as if the pad was dragging a little but his a “tinny” sound too. Appeared to be coming from the rear(s). A few months later the brakes in the rear started squealing loud, and this was unmistakable as the wear indicators. Eventually got so bad that it rresembled a cat shrieking in pain. Seeing as how the previous owner lived up north (Wisconsin) and commuted in Chicago as well, I figured the OEM brakes had a full life and decided to replace them all and do some upgrades.

Called Excelerate Performance based on the many reviews and feedback here, talked to Josh, and a few days later had a full set of Stoptech SportStop Slotted Rotors, Stoptech Performance Pads, and XLR8 Stainless Steel lines show up at my door.

Did the garage project with a friend and also performed a thorough bleeding of the brake system too.

The left rear pads were definitely lower than the right rear, and also had the wear indicator flush with the pad face…thus confirming that was the screeching noise.

Now…here is where I’m getting frustrated. Put everything back together, and took it on a test drive. Immediately noticed the same low metallic grinding/squeaking sound at low speeds. Took the car out to really warm up the brakes and bed them a little bit, no change. Here I am a couple days later and they are still making that sound. In fact, listening real closely and I also notice a light speed-dependent “click, click, clicking” sound too. Not sure what that is about, but that main noise is the low-speed light metal grinding/whirring/squeaking...just as if something was dragging a bit. Obviously the new rotors and pads had no impact on the sound…although of course the horrible screeching from the wear indicator is now gone. When I brake, the sound definitely changes, so I’m almost positive it’s the pads.

Now the question is where do I go from here? Here are my “theories” on what is going on

1) Some “issue” with the rear caliper(s) causing the pad(s) to put excess pressure on the rotor at all times. I didn’t notice anything visually with the calipers when we took them off, but that doesn’t mean anything. My solution would be just to do replacement calipers here…about $125…but don’t want to throw good money at a problem without fixing it either.

2) Something with the parking brake. I highly doubt this as I had no issues with the brake when taking the rotors off, nor does the sound really change much when I engage the brake in motion…not like it does when I depress the brake.

3) Sounds can be deceiving, and although I am 80%+ sure the sound is coming from the rear, I can’t rule out the noise is being contributed to by the fronts too.

Any help, thoughts, or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by Musky300; 08-01-2011 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Formatting
Old 08-01-2011, 09:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,431 Posts
if you said the pads were lower on the LR vs. the RR I'd be suspect of that caliper. Your best bet is to do this, go to HD or Lowes and get an IR thermometer.

Then go for a drive and use the brakes a few time. Quickly jump out and check the temp on the RR rotor and then the LR rotors. Also if you have a chance check the temperature of the hubs.

If the rotor is hotter on one side, that means that the caliper is sticking. If the rotors are very close to the same temp and one of the hubs are warmer, then it's one of the rear E-Brakes.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:24 AM
Intermediate

IR Thermometer is certainly a good idea, however if it just slightly dragging...enough to make noise but not enough to produce drag...I'm not sure the temperature discrepancy would be that great. Certainly something to consider, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to have one of those in my toolbox.

Also...how am I supposed to check the temp of the back of the rotor...doesn't seem possible with the dust shield in place?

And how to check temperature of hub with everything on? Don't see how that would happen.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:36 AM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
with the rear wheels off the ground, do they spin freely without the parking brake engaged?
Old 08-02-2011, 02:56 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i have the same issue with my 05 6spd it is driving me nuts ..
Old 08-03-2011, 11:32 PM
Wiggy Wiggy Wiggy

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by 6spdTLman
i have the same issue with my 05 6spd it is driving me nuts ..
Thoroughly clean and properly re-lube all the contact point on the brake pad, caliper, and retaining clips.

Use a good lube that will last. Like this Versachem product:

http://www.itwconsumer.com/catalog.aspx?prodID=69
Old 08-04-2011, 11:38 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Posted this before, but I did my brakes a while back and must have bent the metal disc that protects the hub - called the splash guard (can be seen in this thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-tires-wheels-suspension-97/front-rear-brake-disc-rotor-knuckle-hub-front-wheel-brg-repl-3g-garage-d-085-a-592538/). It produced a grinding sheet metal sound caused by that guard rubbing the rotor. Fix was as easy as prying it back a bit.

Might not be the issue, but worth a check.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:46 PM
2nd Gear

I had a screechin grinding noise I thought was the drivers side brake in the rear. It turned out to be that the parking brake shoe on that side did not release and that was what caused the noise.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:13 AM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I also has this issue with my left rear caliper at about the same mileage years ago....turns out the caliper was sticking and wore my pads down to the metal creating a horrible noise. based on all of your observations, my guess is that your caliper is sticking and i would change it out asap before your ruin your new rotaors and pads.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:20 PM
Intermediate

Thanks everyone.

There are some really good ideas here...some I've already tried and others I plan on doing.

Right now, I hate throwing good money after something hoping to fix it without knowing for sure, but at this point the cost of replacing both rear calipers is only $100 to $150 at most...really not bad at all...so that will be my next step.

If that STILL doesn't stop the noise...well...then we'll cross that bridge on Acurazine when I arrive at it.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:05 PM
Intermediate

Update:

This weekend I got the car up in the air and CONFIRMED that the noise is definitely coming from the rears, as I was able to exactly duplicate the sound by free-spinning the tires once they were in the air. I also took off one tire and it did the same thing spinning the rotor by hand.

So the strange thing is that BOTH rear brakes are making the same sound...which seems odd that both calipers (or whatever) would fail at the same time.

I have ordered two new rear calipers and will throw them on and hopefully put this behind me. Will update again once I get the new calipers on.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:33 PM
Intermediate

STRIKE THREE... all new calipers and the noise is still there.

I guess I've now crossed that proverbial bridge I spoke of earlier. All new rotors in the rear...all new pads...all new calipers and brackets etc...SAME noise.

So what does this mean? Do I assume is the e-brake and now dive into that? I can definitely duplicate the noise free-spinning the rear wheels and it is coming from both of them. It is not as loud or bad as before, but definitely still there, same type of sound...annoying as heck.

I did check the dust shield and there are no points where it appears to be contacting the rotor.

Running out of ideas here...and tired of throwing time and money at this stupid noise.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Does the sound disapear on heavy braking?
As you're stopping and hear the noise, hit the brakes harder, noise stops or continues?
Old 09-07-2011, 06:56 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Turbonut
Does the sound disapear on heavy braking?
As you're stopping and hear the noise, hit the brakes harder, noise stops or continues?
The sound changes...doesn't stop, just goes from a metallic grinding to a more muffled "friction" type sound. Hard to explain.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:32 AM
Suzuka Master

As the pads sometimes will move slightly and rub on the piston(s) heavier braking will stop that movement, indicating that some anti-squeal lube is needed, but guess that's not the problem.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Although some slotted rotor and pad combos will make a certain noise, they certainly won't make the same sound as you've experienced with the OE setup, plus you've changed the rear calipers and added SS lines.
As you have done it before, I would spin the wheels to duplicate the noise then remove the calipers and spin the rotor, or even set the caliper aside, install the wheel and spin. If noise is still audible, it's got to be the e brake assembly or splash shield rubbing, but if the noise is gone, I don't have the slightest inkling as to what it might be as you've changed everything possible.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:42 AM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
ive noticed sometimes brakes make a faint brushing sound. I've heard it on my old integra and my TL sometimes so i just assumed it's normal. I've seen no change in mpg so it's not dragging to a point where it's affecting my driving. Averaging 28 mpg over 1k miles.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:33 PM
Wiggy Wiggy Wiggy

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
My guess is that its lack of lubrication/cleaning, or some e-brake shoe issue. Taking apart the e-brake shoes, cleaning and lubricating may help.

OP, when changing the pads, did you thoroughly clean the caliper bracket with a wire brush, and lubricate all the moving contact points & slide pins? Did the pad fit properly when placed on the caliper bracket?

I had an annoying intermittent squeal on my fronts after installing new RB pads/rotors. It took taking apart a few times, and thoroughly lubing every single moving contact point on the Brembo caliper and RB pad. My set up actually doesn't like the anti-squeal paste on the back of the pad. Using a synthetic brake lubricant on the back instead seemed to help. After 42K miles, the fronts are starting to intermittently squeal when going in reverse. Other than just recently, my brakes have been silent.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:41 PM
Intermediate

The calipers, pads, rotors, caliper brackets, brake lines...everything all brand new in the rear...so I don't believe there is a need to lube up the pins or any contact points (although do have anti-squeal lube on back of pads).

Sound is still there...same as it was before I did new calipers, same as it was before the new rotors/pads when the OE setup was on it. Noise has reduced some, but is still there.

I spun the tire on the hub with the caliper and braket off and just the rotor on...there was a sound there for sure, but it was hard to do without having the lugnuts centering and securing the rotor on. Whether the sound was exactly like it is now, I can't say for sure, and it was more intermittent, but it didn't spin freely silently for sure.

Do I assume e-brake at this point in time? How big of a job is it to dive into that assembly???
Old 09-29-2011, 10:01 PM
2nd Gear

I'm having the same issue, I have been hearing this grinding noise for a while so I thought it was just time to change the breaks. I order OEM pads and rear rotors and with the help of a friend we installed new rotors and pads. Getting the rotors off was nearly impossible once we got them off the new OEM rotors went on with no problems. after we got everything back on and took the car out for ride. the noise was still there and it's annoying. I think it is the e-breaks because I'm getting the noise on both sides.

Question Musky300, does the noise get louder when you make turns?