Acura Service Dept trying to rip me off?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 10:21 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura Service Dept trying to rip me off?

Hello Everyone,

I was hoping someone here can help me out with some advice.

I have the 3rd gear issue that everyone else here has with the 6MT. I took the car in last month and the service rep tested it, came back and told me that it is a common issue that is covered under warranty. Which is exactly what I expected. However, i wasn't able to drop the car off that day since they didnt have a loaner for me so i decided to put it off until Feb.

Well today I call the service rep and he tells me that his manager wants me to sign a tear down estimate in the event that they determine the 3rd gear issue isn't a manufacturing defect but rather an act of neglect or abuse on my part. In other words, I may have to pay for it.

This seems like total BS to me. It almost seems like they (honda) want to scare me away from doing a warranty claim by throwing the potential of having an out of pocket expense come my way.

I'm not sure if i should go through with is since the 3rd gear problem is well documented and well known. I just don't want to be screwed with the bill AFTER they already tear my transimission down.

Any and all advice, as always, is appreciated.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:03 PM
Advanced

Car sales have in the slumps lately causing the dealerships to be very stingy with warranty repairs. I was told that general manager at my dealership have stop issuing goodwill repairs period for all cars. My transmission needs to be replace at 48,xxx miles and only 4 months out of warranty and I was told my only chance of getting a goodwill is through corporate. Don't sign the paper and try to fight it, call corporate if you have too. Transmission are not cheap, I got a quote for $5200!!!
Old 02-18-2009, 05:40 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
Screw'em.. use GM Synchromesh..

There have been others who Acura have said their clutch / 3rd gear issue was their fault and tried to get at least a percentage back on the issue even though they were also under warranty. I wouldn't dare sign any papers that could leave you liable for any amount of money. Call Acura Care or contact district manager..

Last edited by Majofo; 02-18-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:01 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 02-18-2009, 07:39 PM
HOME SWEET HOME....

nuthin new about that.....acura is always tryin to rip its customers off @ the service dept. i wouldnt sign anything, and just speak to the highest person you can speak to concerning the matter
Old 02-18-2009, 09:18 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
was it the service MANAGER who said this to you now?

It does make sense and it a legal issue- they have to have your permission to inspect the trans- that means a few hours labor for them to get it out of the car and taken apart

Its been how many months since they said it needed fixing?
If you know its the usual problem and you didnt thrash it, just sign it and dont worry- warrany picks up the teardown.

On gen2 with its well known trans issues, they still have to make you sign a diagnosis work order $100, that makes it legal to cops - they have permission to be working on your car. When its found to be warranty a different type work order is created--its all paperwork shuffling and azz covering

Welcome to America
Old 02-18-2009, 09:20 PM
Team Owner

reading the first post again--was the trans diagnosed soley by the service writer- not actually in the hands of a qualified acura senior tech who said it has 3rd gear issue that warranty covered?
Old 02-18-2009, 09:22 PM
Team Owner

when they say something is wrong- and dont have a loaner that day- you speak with the manager-
they can get loaners from Enterprise, and I just learned that corp is actually picking up that expense, not the dealer
Its not a requirement the dealer give a loaner,,, but they do when they can
Come in on friday/mon its not happening, they are all gone

tuesday-wed- take your pick of colors~
Old 02-18-2009, 10:33 PM
Advanced

the tech took the car for a drive when they determined that the 3rd gear was faulty...

THanks everyone for the comments. I think this will be the last acura I buy if they end up trying to screw me on this one.

Any other tips?////
Old 02-19-2009, 12:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by nam9684
Car sales have in the slumps lately causing the dealerships to be very stingy with warranty repairs. I was told that general manager at my dealership have stop issuing goodwill repairs period for all cars. My transmission needs to be replace at 48,xxx miles and only 4 months out of warranty and I was told my only chance of getting a goodwill is through corporate. Don't sign the paper and try to fight it, call corporate if you have too. Transmission are not cheap, I got a quote for $5200!!!
that dealer won't be around much longer

warranty work is guaranteed income for them since Acura reimburses them for VALID claims.........

pbcmedia,

Acura does not rip anyone off......shady dealers do........
Old 02-19-2009, 05:50 AM
Team Owner

go in with an attitude of- they are going to screw me- and they will
Go in positive- nice- ~this is a normal warranty issue~ and it will be
Old 02-19-2009, 07:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No way I would let them tear apart my car and transmission just to 'fix' something everyone else fixes with a lube change.
That is just stupid.

You know, there have been people that have had third gear replaced and had the same problem come back....

I did the GM fluid 30,000 miles ago and have not had any problems with any gears...

You have to be brain dead to have a problem changing the manual trans lube, its easier than changing the engine oil.

Brett
2005 6 MT
Old 02-19-2009, 08:29 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by Brettg
You have to be brain dead to have a problem changing the manual trans lube, its easier than changing the engine oil.
Easy? Yes. But easier than changing the engine oil? I don't think so. You still have to remove that cover underneath to get to the tranny's drain plug and the refill bolt is buried under the air intake.

As for getting ripped off, it's the stealerships' doing, not Acura's. I had a situation with my ex-Accord where the driver's door power window wouldn't go all the way up and there was a brake fluid leak. Martin's Manhattan Honda (no longer around) tried to sell me a motor AND a regulator for the window for $615+tax PLUS a caliper, brake hose and a master cylinder, estimate grand total...$2400! Took the car to the auto glass place that previously replaced my windshield who fixed the window by only replacing the regulator for $195 including tax. A local shop fixed my brake leak by only replacing the hose and a caliper for $400. So in the end I saved about $2000 by giving stealership the finger.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:15 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
Originally Posted by DMZ
Easy? Yes. But easier than changing the engine oil? I don't think so. You still have to remove that cover underneath to get to the tranny's drain plug and the refill bolt is buried under the air intake.

As for getting ripped off, it's the stealerships' doing, not Acura's. I had a situation with my ex-Accord where the driver's door power window wouldn't go all the way up and there was a brake fluid leak. Martin's Manhattan Honda (no longer around) tried to sell me a motor AND a regulator for the window for $615+tax PLUS a caliper, brake hose and a master cylinder, estimate grand total...$2400! Took the car to the auto glass place that previously replaced my windshield who fixed the window by only replacing the regulator for $195 including tax. A local shop fixed my brake leak by only replacing the hose and a caliper for $400. So in the end I saved about $2000 by giving stealership the finger.

Good story.. I feel like going to them every time something pops up.. just to tell myself how much money I saved. Imagine if we would have sacked away the money saved that we would have paid for overcharges & upsells... We'd probably be in the 3G NSX side of the forum.. ..btw.. anyone know if the 3G NSX is coming out??