Acura Quality

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 08:12 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe you should have considered the RL. Some current RL owners on this board upgraded from a 3G TL and I'm sure quality was a major reason.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:24 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by dampfnudel
Maybe you should have considered the RL. Some current RL owners on this board upgraded from a 3G TL and I'm sure quality was a major reason.
One here. There are several on the RL board who did so. As much as I loved the TL, I could not tolerate the build quality and rattle issues. The RL is substantially better built, and after owning one it underscores the issues posted here on the TL. No one will ever convince me US assembly is as good as Japan, no matter what the brand.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:16 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TampaRL
One here. There are several on the RL board who did so. As much as I loved the TL, I could not tolerate the build quality and rattle issues. The RL is substantially better built, and after owning one it underscores the issues posted here on the TL. No one will ever convince me US assembly is as good as Japan, no matter what the brand.
I think my car will have a J-VIN, maybe the next TSX (if it's still made in Japan). If not the TSX, maybe an RL or even some Infiniti, no Lexus unless they add more rear room to the next IS. I'll definitely pay attention to what new 4G TL owners have to say as I ponder a '09 or '10 car model so I'm not giving up completely on the TL...yet.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:08 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Sorry I didn't mean to offend anyone with my question about test driving your vechicles. My experience has been quite different from that which most of you have lived with.

As recently as today, I have been pleased with the overall build quality of my particular unit which now has ~33,000 miles. I had my battery replaced and the radio was disconnected and I didn't have the code with me. I drove about five miles on city streets with only my car sounds for entertainment. I heard engine noise and nothing else.

After reading your experiences, I feel very lucky to have received one of the well constructed TL's. I still think you may be dreaming about greener pastures with Japanese build however. Good luck to all with your battles.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:10 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by cbronze07
My experience with the 2007 Acura TL-S is probably not something that you guys want to read about. Mine has absolutely been the most troublesome new car that I have owned, and I have had a bunch of them. Here is the list:

1. Clunking rear suspension?
2. Clunking front suspension?
3. Drivers memory system intermittently losing memory?
4. Low oil pressure indicator illuminated at 3100 miles?
5. Engine rattles from spark knock on 93 octane fuel?
6. Horrible intermittent squealing noise from engine after start up?
7. Rattle inside dash on passenger side?
8. 21 days in Dealer service facility within 3400 miles

Horrible dealer service & attitude, even though my wife and I have really tried to be absolutely cordial to deal with. Acura Corporate has been no help (lip service, and documentation).

1. Dealer repeatedly refused to provide documentation of warranty service (violation of law in my state).
2. Service Manager gladly (with smile on his face) said that they did not fix any of my problems.
3. Dealer service dept. damaged the finish on both rear wheels (yet to fix).
4. Car returned so dirty so as to ruin light colored clothing, and took three hours to clean the taupe leather, but grease stains still remain on the headliner.

I might be stuck with this jewel for a while, but do you honestly think that I would purchase anything with the Acura name on it agian? NO WAY! I truly get a sick feeling in my stomach when I have to pass by (and look at) the local Acura dealership. Never Agian Acura, DO YOU HEAR ME, Never Agian!
cbronze07,

Want to let us in on which dealership this is so the other members who live in your area know to avoid them like the plague?
Old 07-24-2007, 09:53 AM
Instructor

Unhappy your so lucky

Originally Posted by MR1
Sorry I didn't mean to offend anyone with my question about test driving your vechicles. My experience has been quite different from that which most of you have lived with.

As recently as today, I have been pleased with the overall build quality of my particular unit which now has ~33,000 miles. I had my battery replaced and the radio was disconnected and I didn't have the code with me. I drove about five miles on city streets with only my car sounds for entertainment. I heard engine noise and nothing else.

After reading your experiences, I feel very lucky to have received one of the well constructed TL's. I still think you may be dreaming about greener pastures with Japanese build however. Good luck to all with your battles.
Man i envy you guys with the TLS's that dont have problems. I actually hand picked my 2007 TLS from the dealership lot and i can say that the I took the best of the bunch. Had it not been for my girlfriend who insist on the TLS, I would be behind the wheels of an Infiniti G35 Sport right now....agh...why did i listen to her?? And not to mention that i prowled on this forum for 2 years before i bought it hoping that by the time i buy the problems would be gone.

My 2003 Honda Civic has better quality then the TL....so embarassing.
On a positive note, the dealer says they will fix everything but like many here have said, "Do you trust the Acura Trained Minimum wage worker who doesnt care about your car to fix it right?"
Old 07-24-2007, 04:02 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
FWIW, mine is a TL/Navi, not TL-S. It has only been back to the dealer for a minor recall item, the three dash temp. gauge. I have a Honda trained, private mechanic that works on my three Honda/Acuras. The only thing he doesn't do is the warranty work and oil changes.

Most of my driving is in town on city streets. Our streets are almost as smooth as glass compared to other places where you have potholes from the temperature changes. Guess I'm a little lucky there too. The other possibility is that my standards are a little lower as I try to focus on different issues. The car runs well, does not leave me stranded, is comfortable to me and my primary passenger, gets reasonable mileage for its' size and my driving conditions, etc.

There are pleanty of 'issues' for me to get upset about but in the end the only person upset is me. If the car was a big disappointment, I'd be pissed as a number of you are. I have had some dull cars and some more exciting, most had one or another issue. So far, this one works and I can't think of one that I might be happier with right now.

My favorite driving sedans were an Audi 5000 then an Audi 4000S-Quattro. I only had each for a short time. They disappointed me and tried to send me to the poor house at the same time. It's all relative.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:16 PM
Intermediate

I have owned many cars and in my opinion the TL has been the worst experience. I have literally turned into a psuedo mechanic by owning this car, as you have to what is wrong to tell the dealer to fix it.

Sorry guys, i am still having the car and will put up with it for a few more months and then its gone. As for those who are making a decision of wether to buy this car or not. PLEASE DONT. Spend some more or less even, and get a G35. Better build quality, raved by the reviewers and editors and one of the finest engines and transmission. Dont put in your 40k and spend time at the dealer/mechanic, every weekend.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by three
Short-time lurker here that really wants to get a TL. However due to all the issues I think it would be foolish at this point to do so. I do really appreciate all the honesty here as it helps potential owners get a little clearer picture of the brand outside of Consumer/Edmunds glowing reports.

I am posting not to flame but because maybe someone else may read it and help them in their decision process.

I had always assumed that Acura was an upscale brand but certainly the quality of the TL does not bear this out. I mean just charging a consumer a certain amount of money or haphazardly throwing premium features together certainly doesn’t make one a near-luxury auto. At least not in my opinion.

I had previously owned a couple Hondas back in the day so I figured that Acura would be at least the same quality if not better. After spending the better part of a week reading up on everything about the 3Gen I can say that I don’t believe that to be the case any longer.

For the first couple days I think I was ready to overlook at lot of things because of the “more for less” mentality. I now would rather pony up the 5-7k more for any of the TL’s competitors then take a chance and go through the potential hell of getting to know every Acura Service man on a first name basis just to save some money.

I cannot image, as one poster had their car in the shop 20 days in the last couple months, being able to tolerate this kind of luxury. My last seven cars combined have not seen half that time for unplanned service issues. These cars span from economy to full luxury vehicles.

To those that have few(er) quality problems you are indeed fortunate to have your vehicle assembled by someone who was both competent and actually cared to do a job in the manner in which they had been paid. To the others here I for one am sorry to read about the aggravation of your TL ownership.
I have owned 4 3G TLs, 04 non-navi, 06 navi, 07 navi and now 08 Type-S. Sure I am a little disspointed by some of the minor quality control issues. ButI also see a lot of the same with all the competitors as well. I owned a 07 Camry and let me tell you it had as many or more fit/finish issues as any car I have owned to date. My 04 TL was year one haunted house on wheels for squeaks and rattles, but mechanically solid as a rock. My 06 was by far the most solid and the 07 had 2 or 3 minors rattles that I addressed 2 of. My 08 very solid as well, some leather issues dealer is repalcing one seat and 2 rattle sI have already fixed. I woudl not have owned 4 of them if I did not think they were solid awesome machines. I think probably the G35 is a tad better built, being from Japan, but Toyota is having as many or more quality issues lately, look at their new Tundra last year, blowing engines, etc. Avalon tranny problems with 6-speed automatics. Cars are extrememly complex machines made up of thousands of parts, perfect is not a realistic expectation. The biggest down side to Acura is their ACS customer service, they suck, plain and simple.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:06 PM
Old Folks

Three- Run, don't walk down to the Acura dealer a buy a TL. I read this forum for 6 months before I bought an '06 TL, AT. It scared me to death, until I finally figured out that most all of these owners loved their TL's and were only trying to help those that were having a few problems.

I bought my TL in May 2006. I have been back to the dealer one time to have the oil changed. At the same time they repaired a rattle in the moon roof. Since then , NADA. It runs pefectly with zero problems. It's quality is up among the best cars I have ever owned, including my other car, a Lexus LS430.

The dealer here in Louisiana has been great. The probem was fixed in a timely manner and they furnished me a loaner.

I originally planned to buy a GS-350. The Consumer Reports article got me thinking about a TL, and I test drove it and the GS-350. The TL won overwhemingly.

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:20 PM
Intermediate

I have had my '06 TL with navi, antracite, and have not had one problem except for the tires which they replaced without charge after 17,000 miles. I love my TL and my experience has been near perfect! I am happier with it now than the day I drove it off the showroom floor!!!!
Old 09-30-2007, 01:54 PM
RoadRunner

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Consumer Advocate

That' s absurd for someone to spend that kind of money on a vehicle and have so many problems. I suggest you file a complaint with Better Business Burea www.bbb.org Complain about all parties involved. You should get results soon there after.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:47 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NVMYT
I was stationed in Japan for 10 years and yes cars are built by robot-like computers arms in Japan. I've been to the Honda, Nissan and Toyota plants and it is an awesome site to see!! They also have a laser guided quality control mechanism that check clearances. Not to mention, the Japanese factory worker moves around the factory with a purpose. They don't talk, laugh or joke around on the assembly line. THEY ARE ALL BUSINESS ON THE LINE!

However, we are not so lucky here in the U.S. In the U.S. effort to keep the economy strong, US manufacturers employ humans to assemble cars. Because of that, the quality is not up to par with the Japanese. In fact, because of the U.S./foreign trade agreement, Japanese automakers were forced to open U.S. assembly plants here in the U.S. if they wanted to continue to sell the same amount/more cars here in the states. So while the parts of your car are still made in Japan, the final assembly (up to 95%) is done here in the states.
You are so right about that. I can tell you from experience, as i worked in a Japanese auto plant here in the US. Dont want to mention the name. It was really horrible. The workers nor the management gave a damn about quality. They were all interested in "numbers" so they can get their bonus. But guess what happened ? When the vehicles reached the mass, JD Power and Associates and others gave the vehicles such poor rating because of quality that some of the models were taken off the assembly line here and sent back to Japan. And the work culture sucked. No one was proud about their jobs, they did the least and management never encouraged them to look for quality. Rather they just wanted the lines rolling. Well it rolled and ended up in the storage for a long time, since no one wanted to buy their models. I am afraid, we in the US arent that proud of what we do anymore. Rather its just a means to pay our bills.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:38 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
While I have mixed thoughts about the assembly process, I am more than happy with my purchase. The car is beautiful and the sales reflect that. Good luck to you OP in your search for the Holy Grail of cars.

I have never understood why a person comes into this forum to tell people he doesn't like the TL and is not going to buy one! How many forums have you posted that in? Did you hit all of the car brands? Why was it necessary to let us know that you DON'T like the TL? I think that's hilarious and just another way to start an incendiary discussion in a thread. That's like a vegetarian going into a butcher's shop to tell them I don't like meat. Who gives a fuck? Then don't eat it! You feel me? What the hell - are you trying to garner support for the way you feel or something?

No, to me, this is a nice way for a BMW owner to bring their ass in here and talk shit about Acura. No more than that. Well, I for one don't have to defend my TL purchase...the sales, the customer appreciation and the car mag lists that reflect that do a good enough job of that.

However coming from a BMW I expect a certain level of quality ( even from a 35K car ) and just could not bring myself up to take a chance on a Acura.
Then beat it! Go get in where you fit in!
Old 10-01-2007, 12:03 PM
Intermediate

My thoughts exactly!!!!!! I love my TL and am very happy with it! Why are you on here if you don't like them?????

My best friend has an '06 BMW 550 - it stays in the shop and now she wants a TL.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:44 PM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
Its a year ago today that I bought my 06 TL w/ Navi. Coming from a 3000GT and 2 Evos (all 3 made in Japan), I had expected a certain level of "quality" in the build. So I will have to admit, I cringed at the fact that the TL's VIN didnt start with a "J". But I did my homework, shopped around, and lurked around other forums for information. Almost everyone is right when they say car forums are mostly comprised of all the "customer complaints". you'll rarely hear about praises in these places.

That said, Ive only had to visit the dealer a few times in the last year. about 3x for an oil change (i provided my own oil without any hassle), 1x for a seat rattle (entire assembly fixed under warranty) and 1x for a front lip install. Compared to the Evo and the 3000GT, Ive spent mostly gas money in the past year. With all the "toys" that came with the TL and for the price I got it last year (about 31K OTD), not to mention being pretty much trouble-free, I think it was a pretty sound investment over comparable rivals (BMW 3-series, Infiniti G and Lexus IS).

finding the holy grail of a trouble-free car is laughable. there is no such animal. and if there was, its not going to be practical nor affordable.