Acura Quality

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 03:15 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Acura Quality

Short-time lurker here that really wants to get a TL. However due to all the issues I think it would be foolish at this point to do so. I do really appreciate all the honesty here as it helps potential owners get a little clearer picture of the brand outside of Consumer/Edmunds glowing reports.

I am posting not to flame but because maybe someone else may read it and help them in their decision process.

I had always assumed that Acura was an upscale brand but certainly the quality of the TL does not bear this out. I mean just charging a consumer a certain amount of money or haphazardly throwing premium features together certainly doesn’t make one a near-luxury auto. At least not in my opinion.

I had previously owned a couple Hondas back in the day so I figured that Acura would be at least the same quality if not better. After spending the better part of a week reading up on everything about the 3Gen I can say that I don’t believe that to be the case any longer.

For the first couple days I think I was ready to overlook at lot of things because of the “more for less” mentality. I now would rather pony up the 5-7k more for any of the TL’s competitors then take a chance and go through the potential hell of getting to know every Acura Service man on a first name basis just to save some money.

I cannot image, as one poster had their car in the shop 20 days in the last couple months, being able to tolerate this kind of luxury. My last seven cars combined have not seen half that time for unplanned service issues. These cars span from economy to full luxury vehicles.

To those that have few(er) quality problems you are indeed fortunate to have your vehicle assembled by someone who was both competent and actually cared to do a job in the manner in which they had been paid. To the others here I for one am sorry to read about the aggravation of your TL ownership.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:21 PM
Race Director

First of all welcome to AZ. Second of all you really cant use forums as seeing how well a car holds up. The majority of people come on here becuase they have problems. If you go to other car forums you will see people complain on them as well. Read CR and you will see on a survey that more then 80% of people who bought a TL loved it. The majority of people here love there car they just dont start a thread saying 30k miles and love the car. Dont let this scare you.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:31 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Acura sells Thousands and Thousands of vehicles. Most of what you read here is only when something goes wrong. Also, people here are car fanatics, picky as hell and very knowledgeable.

All together, IMHO, that means you get a somewhat skewed veiw of what is happening with regard to problems. IOW's, if there was a thread for every function and/or feature that worked right, they would overwhelm those few threads were something goes drastically wrong.

I have had 2 Acura TL's ('02 and '07). Total Ownership time ~68 months. Not ONE SINGLE warranty or mechanical problem. That includes the 2nd Gen Transmission - no problems with ours.

The only problem we've EVER had is the backlight on the clock went out in our '02 after about 4 years. These 2 TL's are EASILY the best cars we've ever owned, and I, for one, am looking forward to getting another around '09.

BTW - if you go for a BMW, Audi or Mercedes and something goes wrong, GFL. You'll WISH you had an Acura then.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:52 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why don't you go drive a TL and then use that experience as part of your decision instead of just reading a forum and deciding you don't want one.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To the OP,
When I first started to look for cars back in the end of 2005, i visited many boards (acura, lexus, etc) This board actually did scare the shit out of me the most, but guess what, i wound up an Acura TL owner (however, i think my next car will be a toyota/lexus , love the TL thou!). Reason for that was simple...much more knowledge on this board, many more people willing to help, and as many said ealier, you're onlly going to find finatical people. German autos have many QC/maintainence issues, and Inifinti, well, imho, uses cheaper materials (and for some freakin reason, they cant maintain spacial gaps between body panels/parts on the right and left sides like lexus and acura on a good majority of their cars..this goes for Nissan too! wtf!) Lexus is a quality brand, but you do pay the extra premium for that, and unfortunately, some also are rattlers. The choice is yours, but test drives are key. Keep in mind, for worry free cars of major problems, you can trust Toyota/Honda. Best of luck to you and let us know how you decide!
Old 07-13-2007, 04:16 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by Trackruner228
First of all welcome to AZ. Second of all you really cant use forums as seeing how well a car holds up. The majority of people come on here becuase they have problems. If you go to other car forums you will see people complain on them as well. Read CR and you will see on a survey that more then 80% of people who bought a TL loved it. The majority of people here love there car they just dont start a thread saying 30k miles and love the car. Dont let this scare you.
Agreed. Your chances of running into the same problems is pretty much the same for all the brands in this class.

With regard to owning Honda's in the past, it's just that, the past. Year after year corporations are cutting back for whatever reason and the end product suffers as a result.

I've been perfectly happy with my TL. My wife comments about the look on my face every time I drive it.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:32 PM
This space taken.

Not to be a jerk, but this forum is entitled "problems and fixes" - it's not for glowing reports of the TL.

Aside from minor rattles, I don't think there are any real "HUGE" issues of the variety you might find with a lower quality car. As many of said though, problems are much more interesting to talk about than the lack thereof, so you see that. I once used that theory to talk myself out of buying a Passat, and then 2 years later I bought one anyway. Despite all the fear, that car wasn't that bad at all... so you just have to take it all with a grain of salt.

Now, with that being said, I do think that Honda/Acura has gone downhill a bit in quality over the last 10 years or so, as my '97 Accord was the last truly trouble-free Honda I've had. I owned that car for about 2 1/2 years, and 50k miles, and not ONCE did I put it in the shop for any kind of unscheduled repair, including rattles.

However, Acura/Honda is by no means unreliable, nor has it dropped so far for me to say that its not even excellent. Heck, since that '97 my family has owned 3 Accords, a TSX, and a TL, so obviously I don't think they are crap.

Good luck in your decision, but don't scare yourself on the message boards.

EDIT -- My car was great today man. It started perfect, drove perfect, and stopped perfect. It's even clean.

See what I mean?
Old 07-13-2007, 04:37 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No significant problems with the TL. I test drove the Acura TL (twice), Acura RL, Lexus ES 350 (3 times), Lexus IS 350 (twice), Infinity G35, Audi A4, BMW 335i, BMW Z4 (twice), Mercedes C350, and a Toyota Avalon. The Acura TL, in my judgement, provides the most car for the least money.

I wouldn't call Acura a "luxury" brand. It's upscale, but not luxury. Just look at the Acura RSX. You can get one of those for like $20k new. $20k new cars are NOT the hallmark of a "luxury" brand. In fact, the most expensive car Acura makes, the RL, is only slightly more expensive than the cheapest car Lexus makes, the ES 350. You get what you pay for and quality costs money. If you go into the purchase with the understanding that you are NOT buying an $80k lexus or Mercedes, you'll come out happy. 99% of the negatiave posters on this board either have very uncommon problems or have unrealistic expectations about what they're buying.

The only problems are scratched tint, which the dealer fixed for free, and an occasional rattle or two, not a big deal when you consider the features you get for less than $35k and the fact that, at least in my experience, the drivetrain is pretty much flawless.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:07 PM
5th Gear

Hi Three!

My advice: get it. Like everyone has already said, this is a forum for expressing problems and fixes. You surely expected to find an abundance of problems and complaints compared to praise when you entered.

I suspect that you would find that the great majority of the members here have had no problems with their vehicles whatsoever. I come here mostly to admire the photos of other members vehicles and to learn more about mine.

Sure, there are some cars with problems, what manufacturer doesn't have problems? Sure they use lighter gauge steel than 20 years ago, they sure get a lot better gas milage now too.

All in all, once you have done all of the necessary research you'll come to the conclusion that best suits your needs. For the past 21 years it's been Acura for me and I have never been disappointed with the quality of the vehicle.

Good luck in your quest.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:10 PM
06 TL 6spd. Navi/A-spec

I would have to agree what everyone else said, the tl is a great car it has some minor problems, but so does any car out on the road. As for people with major problems it is just luck of the draw, but nothing acura wont take care of for you! Most of us on this forum despite some problems with the vehicle still love the hell out of their TL!
Old 07-13-2007, 06:16 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by Xx06SickspdTlxX

Most of us on this forum .... still love the hell out of their TL!

Well, except for Blackura_NY, who keeps getting run over. But that's not quality problem per se.

Old 07-14-2007, 12:34 PM
-E-K-S-O-

Originally Posted by three
Short-time lurker here that really wants to get a TL. However due to all the issues I think it would be foolish at this point to do so. I do really appreciate all the honesty here as it helps potential owners get a little clearer picture of the brand outside of Consumer/Edmunds glowing reports.

I am posting not to flame but because maybe someone else may read it and help them in their decision process.

I had always assumed that Acura was an upscale brand but certainly the quality of the TL does not bear this out. I mean just charging a consumer a certain amount of money or haphazardly throwing premium features together certainly doesn’t make one a near-luxury auto. At least not in my opinion.

I had previously owned a couple Hondas back in the day so I figured that Acura would be at least the same quality if not better. After spending the better part of a week reading up on everything about the 3Gen I can say that I don’t believe that to be the case any longer.

For the first couple days I think I was ready to overlook at lot of things because of the “more for less” mentality. I now would rather pony up the 5-7k more for any of the TL’s competitors then take a chance and go through the potential hell of getting to know every Acura Service man on a first name basis just to save some money.

I cannot image, as one poster had their car in the shop 20 days in the last couple months, being able to tolerate this kind of luxury. My last seven cars combined have not seen half that time for unplanned service issues. These cars span from economy to full luxury vehicles.

To those that have few(er) quality problems you are indeed fortunate to have your vehicle assembled by someone who was both competent and actually cared to do a job in the manner in which they had been paid. To the others here I for one am sorry to read about the aggravation of your TL ownership.

WELCOME THREE... (my favorite number by the way)

go to the competitors forums... and yeah, you'll see the TL isn't the only car with problems... and for the most part, humans complain about everything that isn't perfect. but all in all you will find even with complaints, these guys love their cars...

one thing you must remember and never forget... the TL is an American car, built, designed, fabricated in the states and is not a traditional Japan built Honda... Japanese built Hondas are far more refined then the American Brand... IMO...
Old 07-14-2007, 12:49 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
Hi Three,

I was in your shoes a year ago. At the time, I was concerned about all the posts about rattles mostly. What I learned is that some people get the rattles and others don't and the people that do get rattles post very effective solutions to resolving the issue. I was impressed with his forum of the information given. I figured if the worst thing people can complain about is a rattle when turning on the sub at a certain level, the car can't be that bad. I don't recall hearing complaints about the car overheating or failing to start when the temperature < 32 degrees or the seats being so uncomfortable on a long trip or other faults that actually prevent you from using the car.

I wound up buying a TL and have been extremely happy with it for this past year. The engineering, performance, looks, comfort, and value of the car is awesome. I think CU hit the mark on this car. I subscribe to CU and the rating was one big driver for me looking seriously at the TL.

For those of you posting about Honda/Acura quality going down the last 10 years. My hunch is that cars in general have gotten a LOT more complicated in 10 years and probability tells you that even if you have a .001% chance of a fault across all components. If your number of components increase so will your chances of a problem. 1992 Accords did not have subwoofers, 260HP motors, bluetooth, XM, 6-8 airbags, navigation, and all the other bells and whistles that we have come to expect these days.

Good luck! I think you'll find the TL to be a great car like all of us have.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:01 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by LaCostaRacer
I wound up buying a TL and have been extremely happy with it for this past year. The engineering, performance, looks, comfort, and value of the car is awesome. I think CU hit the mark on this car. I subscribe to CU and the rating was one big driver for me looking seriously at the TL.

For those of you posting about Honda/Acura quality going down the last 10 years. My hunch is that cars in general have gotten a LOT more complicated in 10 years and probability tells you that even if you have a .001% chance of a fault across all components. If your number of components increase so will your chances of a problem. 1992 Accords did not have subwoofers, 260HP motors, bluetooth, XM, 6-8 airbags, navigation, and all the other bells and whistles that we have come to expect these days.

Good luck! I think you'll find the TL to be a great car like all of us have.
Just joining the chorus-- I agree with LaCostaRacer on everything ^^, except that I've had the car for over 2 years.
My '05 is awesome as well. The car has had no warranty work on it since new, and I haven't had any "quality" problems other than a very intermittent squeak from the driver's window seal for about 4-6 months (I think it was resolved a year ago when I wiped the seals with 303 protectant).
Per Consumer Reports, the percentage chances of getting a clunker or troublesome car are lower overall with a TL than if you get a BMW, Mercedes or some other car with same combination of speed and luxury, other than maybe the G35.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:18 PM
FizzyStatus!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Trackruner228
Yep, i agree. Most people that come on here is to get help for maintenance/problems or just rant about an experience. But, if you have other reasons, I completely understand, just don't let acurazine make your decision
Old 07-14-2007, 05:44 PM
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 33 Posts
I'm very happy with my '04. The only issues I've had are infamous driveline vibration (it's either gone or I'm so used to it I don't even notice any longer), a few minor rattles here and there (mostly only when the car is cold in the winter) and premature wear of the driver side leather (replaced a few weeks ago by the dealer at 41,000 miles). Other than that, the car has been flawless. Normally after three years I'm getting the itch for a new car but I really don't have any real desire to get rid of it (even though the 335xi is a bit tempting!)
Old 07-15-2007, 02:46 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by U4ICTHEORY
WELCOME THREE... (my favorite number by the way)

go to the competitors forums... and yeah, you'll see the TL isn't the only car with problems... and for the most part, humans complain about everything that isn't perfect. but all in all you will find even with complaints, these guys love their cars...

one thing you must remember and never forget... the TL is an American car, built, designed, fabricated in the states and is not a traditional Japan built Honda... Japanese built Hondas are far more refined then the American Brand... IMO...

I'd hate to say I think you might be right about US vs Japan quality. I just can't understand why we can't put the qualty craftmanship in our products that they do. Maybe our greed, lack of pride and concern for others, stand in the way.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:46 PM
'07 TL-S 6MT Moroccan Red

I had a '98 3.2 TL for 9 years and sold it in May. The car was trouble free. That is the reason I bought my new '07 TL MRP 6MT on June 16th.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:55 PM
Intermediate

Well, to each his own. I have had 3 MBs, 2 BMWs, Cadillac, GMCs, Pontiacs, Chevys, Jeeps, VWs, Chryslers, Hondas, Toyotas, Nissians, Mazdas, and Fords ( No ownership of Lexus, Land Rover, Infinity, Porsche, Saab, Jag, & Ferrari but have driven all of these (more than just test drives, the sportier on closed tracks)). Now, I own 2 TL's (05 & a 07 S) a Jeep Wrangler (For Sale), a GMC Yukon, Mazda PU (For Sale) and a Jeep Grand Cherokee. All are different and fulfill different purposes. The Acura products are far and away the highest quality cars I have ever owned or driven. Low cost of operation, comfortable, fun to drive. You can ding the Acura for plastic dashboards and ugly engine bay covers but IMHO not quality or cost of operation. The MB's and BMW's were all nightmares. The dealers were worthless. We had the MB dealer loose a ML for 5 days. We turned the car in and were told it would take a few days, after 5 days I called and they denied they had the car. I had to get in my car and go over to the dealer and help him find it. My Acura dealer is regarded as having the best service department in the state (AL). We get no deals at this dealer, the purchase experience sucks, the ownership experience is unequaled. When I bought the TL-S I bought my mom (74 years old) an RDX, trading the last MB product (a ML320 my dad bought her before he died). She didn't want to trade but today I couldn't get her out of that RDX if I wanted to. So suit your self. Just remember, the grass isn't always greener in those other vehicles. What ever you do consider the whole package including the local dealerships in the equation and enjoy the search.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:31 AM
-E-K-S-O-

Originally Posted by lowgrowl
I'd hate to say I think you might be right about US vs Japan quality. I just can't understand why we can't put the qualty craftmanship in our products that they do. Maybe our greed, lack of pride and concern for others, stand in the way.

man... if we got started on this subject we're all doomed for debate... soon you'll have the muscle-car guys praising their rides while the JDM association will have their comments and of course the Autobahn house will start their rants... all in all every one will find a complaint about something... and of course everyone has their bias opinions...

I'm sure everyone has their suspects why North American Honda/Acura isn't up to par with their original JDM counterparts. does anyone know if this happens accross the board with other manufactures?... i know that their is a ford in europe, do they say the same things about over the pond counterparts?... makes you wonder doesn't it... a question all can ask... but no one can truly answer... or can they?

and just to stay on topic... i love my 07 TL-S 6 speed... i never get tired of saying that... oh and.... not one problem yet... (knocking on wood)
Old 07-17-2007, 03:46 PM
Advanced

The only thing I can add is not to get a first model year car...wait a couple of years for them to iron out the kinks. I have an '04 TL and have had an unusually annoying ownership experience with it. My previous car was a Grand Am GT and it had much fewer warranty troubles...TL issues include:

1. seat memory module losing memory
2. clunking in the rear left suspension
3. control board for 3rd brake light went out
4. wipers going out, they had to replace control board, motor, linkage arms
5. driver side door lock actuator went out (still needs fixing, out of warranty)
6. rattling noises in the center console and in rear view mirror area
7. right side tilt down mirror slips, makes clicking noises

All these problems have been fixed by the dealer except for 5, 6, and 7. Despite of it all though, I still really enjoy the driving experience. It's at 72k+ miles now, but thankfully no serious issues with it yet. Still love the power and fun factor whenever I get behind the wheel.
If I had to make the decision again (comparing to other cars of the same model year), I'd still pick the TL for its combination of features, value, styling, and fun, except I'd wait for the 2nd or 3rd model year.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:19 PM
Banned

Hello welcome to the boards!

I LOVE my TL-S!! Yes I did have a few rattles, but they are now fixed. I am SO glad I picked the acura over the G35! Absolutely no regrets! Like everyone said, keep in mind that this is one of the most active boards out there, and it will seem like you read about a lot of problems. But that's why we're here on this board, to help each other out =). I would reccomend test-driving as well as looking @ resale value. There is a reason that Acura holds its value well, and its not from having a crappy car that nobody wants.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:40 PM
Advanced

My experience with the 2007 Acura TL-S is probably not something that you guys want to read about. Mine has absolutely been the most troublesome new car that I have owned, and I have had a bunch of them. Here is the list:

1. Clunking rear suspension?
2. Clunking front suspension?
3. Drivers memory system intermittently losing memory?
4. Low oil pressure indicator illuminated at 3100 miles?
5. Engine rattles from spark knock on 93 octane fuel?
6. Horrible intermittent squealing noise from engine after start up?
7. Rattle inside dash on passenger side?
8. 21 days in Dealer service facility within 3400 miles

Horrible dealer service & attitude, even though my wife and I have really tried to be absolutely cordial to deal with. Acura Corporate has been no help (lip service, and documentation).

1. Dealer repeatedly refused to provide documentation of warranty service (violation of law in my state).
2. Service Manager gladly (with smile on his face) said that they did not fix any of my problems.
3. Dealer service dept. damaged the finish on both rear wheels (yet to fix).
4. Car returned so dirty so as to ruin light colored clothing, and took three hours to clean the taupe leather, but grease stains still remain on the headliner.

I might be stuck with this jewel for a while, but do you honestly think that I would purchase anything with the Acura name on it agian? NO WAY! I truly get a sick feeling in my stomach when I have to pass by (and look at) the local Acura dealership. Never Agian Acura, DO YOU HEAR ME, Never Agian!
Old 07-17-2007, 09:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
Originally Posted by cbronze07
My experience with the 2007 Acura TL-S is probably not something that you guys want to read about. Mine has absolutely been the most troublesome new car that I have owned, and I have had a bunch of them. Here is the list:

1. Clunking rear suspension?
2. Clunking front suspension?
3. Drivers memory system intermittently losing memory?
4. Low oil pressure indicator illuminated at 3100 miles?
5. Engine rattles from spark knock on 93 octane fuel?
6. Horrible intermittent squealing noise from engine after start up?
7. Rattle inside dash on passenger side?
8. 21 days in Dealer service facility within 3400 miles

Horrible dealer service & attitude, even though my wife and I have really tried to be absolutely cordial to deal with. Acura Corporate has been no help (lip service, and documentation).

1. Dealer repeatedly refused to provide documentation of warranty service (violation of law in my state).
2. Service Manager gladly (with smile on his face) said that they did not fix any of my problems.
3. Dealer service dept. damaged the finish on both rear wheels (yet to fix).
4. Car returned so dirty so as to ruin light colored clothing, and took three hours to clean the taupe leather, but grease stains still remain on the headliner.

I might be stuck with this jewel for a while, but do you honestly think that I would purchase anything with the Acura name on it agian? NO WAY! I truly get a sick feeling in my stomach when I have to pass by (and look at) the local Acura dealership. Never Agian Acura, DO YOU HEAR ME, Never Agian!
In all honesty, it sounds that you have a very bad dealership. Granted that the car has had these problems, but the dealership you have has not held up their end of the deal as to fix these issues. The clunking noise is a common issue that has been resolved on the TL's, the new design of the springs/struts/coilovers was new and had a few flaws that were not detected on the trial runs on the protype TLS. The problem was addressed and fixed. As for you r other issues, i do not know much, but some problems are to be expected. Just to add a little humor to your situation, you bought a Friday car.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:50 AM
Advanced

I hear you my friend! I feel that you are absolutely correct about the dealership, and their poor practices. In fact, after looking them up on the BBB website, there are multiple complaints about them. There are also multiple instances where they have been fined by the state attorney generals office, and multiple complaints are logged there also.

It seems that Acura would care more about their customers than to let dealers like this ruin their reputation. More than likely, most Acura vehicles never give these kinds of problems, and therefore, this dealer does not have the oportunity to ruin most ownership experiences. Due to this particular dealer bieng the only place for factory service within 100 miles of my home, I will never consider woning another Acura. All future warranty service on my vehicle will be performed by another dealership, even though we will have to drive several hours, and not have a loaner car.

I dont know about my TL-S bieng built by a Friday crew, but I have suspected that it was built by a special F troop called in to work on the Saturday night during New Years holiday!
Old 07-18-2007, 05:05 PM
-E-K-S-O-

I hear you my friend! I feel that you are absolutely correct about the dealership, and their poor practices. In fact, after looking them up on the BBB website, there are multiple complaints about them. There are also multiple instances where they have been fined by the state attorney generals office, and multiple complaints are logged there also.

It seems that Acura would care more about their customers than to let dealers like this ruin their reputation. More than likely, most Acura vehicles never give these kinds of problems, and therefore, this dealer does not have the oportunity to ruin most ownership experiences. Due to this particular dealer bieng the only place for factory service within 100 miles of my home, I will never consider woning another Acura. All future warranty service on my vehicle will be performed by another dealership, even though we will have to drive several hours, and not have a loaner car.

I dont know about my TL-S bieng built by a Friday crew, but I have suspected that it was built by a special F troop called in to work on the Saturday night during New Years holiday!

i just bough my 07 TL-S 6 speed (CARBON BRONZE) and i have yet to have problems, even your dealer troubles sound scary... i hope you over come your Acura troubles, I knock on wood every time i see the troubles that some people have on this site... but...as for me, once loyal... always loyal... go vtec...
Old 07-19-2007, 10:11 AM
Advanced

The sad part of it is that I am and have been loyal to Honda. I owned several Honda automobiles, and they have never given me any trouble. Within one year, I recommended Honda CRV's to both my mother and my aunt, they both purchased them on the same day and have really loved them. A few months later, my wife and I purchased a new 2007 Civic LX and this new 2007 Acura TL-S within the same week. Our new TL-S is the only Honda vehicle that has been any trouble. The Civic and the CRVs have been excellent.

I will have to say that my experience with our new TL-S has me looking at Infinity and Lexus, and Lexus will definitely be our next purchase. This is not because I feel that Acura is inferior, but the dealership support for the customer is horrible in my home town. The Lexus dealer here has recieved nothing but accolades from my associates who own Lexus cars.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:02 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
The sad part of it is that I am and have been loyal to Honda. I owned several Honda automobiles, and they have never given me any trouble. Within one year, I recommended Honda CRV's to both my mother and my aunt, they both purchased them on the same day and have really loved them. A few months later, my wife and I purchased a new 2007 Civic LX and this new 2007 Acura TL-S within the same week. Our new TL-S is the only Honda vehicle that has been any trouble. The Civic and the CRVs have been excellent.

I will have to say that my experience with our new TL-S has me looking at Infinity and Lexus, and Lexus will definitely be our next purchase. This is not because I feel that Acura is inferior, but the dealership support for the customer is horrible in my home town. The Lexus dealer here has recieved nothing but accolades from my associates who own Lexus cars.
Really sorry to hear about your problems. I'm sure that you know about Lemon Laws and hope you are thinking along those lines. In most states their is a 'number of days in the shop' provision as well as 'number of times for the same repair'.

A successful case will get you to Lexus faster if that is where you really want to go. My experience is that corporate responsibility across the board has slipped badly in the past 5-6 years. FWIW, I've been mad as hell at so many companies over the years. Finally I figured out that if I didn't do business with some of them I'd have to make and grow my own everything.

And last, to get back on topic, after 33K miles, no issues with my TL.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:58 PM
Instructor

My Tl is the best car I have ever owned, and the quality od MY tl is outstanding.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:38 PM
Racer

Yeah, I am really shocked at the lack of warmth and concern at the acura dealerships I've been to. Compare the way your treated when you walk in the door between a acura and lexus dealership (either sales or service) and you'll see what I mean.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:54 PM
Instructor

Acura TL quality going down

Yeah, I am really shocked at the lack of warmth and concern at the acura dealerships I've been to. Compare the way your treated when you walk in the door between a acura and lexus dealership (either sales or service) and you'll see what I mean.
I also think that the TL has more quality issues then any other honda i have ever owned....My 2G and 3G Honda Civic, Prelude and Accord didnt have this many problems. But i just bought this Acura TLS and it came from the factory with a whole bunch of embarassing defects....how did all this pass Acura Quality Control, what are those workers doing there, sleeping?

I really hope they get their QC act together, cuz the TL is their best seller.

Here are my problems

Factory Problems

1. Paint defects...peeling (Looks like hail damage)
2. All for Doors completely mis-aligned
3. Interior metal Trim near NAVI Popping out
4. Sagging Leather front seats
5. Burning smell coming from 6-spd transmission
6. Interior trim mis-aligned in center console

Design Problems?

1. Air conditioning making really loud click when it turns on (Normal?)
2. Climate Control is pretty loud even when on low (Normal?)
3. Idle problem (Fixed thanks to Forum members!)
4. HFL emitts a constant low static hissing sound even when radio is off and HFL link volume is off.

So far that is it, Luckly i am not experiencing the other problems others are having such as noisy rear suspension, rattles and driveline vibrations....etc.

BUT, i still love this car! I just dont love Acura customer service, the dealers and the quality that is coming out does not live up to the competitors (TL anyhow).
Old 07-21-2007, 11:38 PM
Advanced

Acura has certainly gone down in quality. To be honest with you, if I could do it all over again, I'd get a honda civic for about half the price and forget all about my troubles. The 07 is an upgrade from me, i owned a 1998 acura TL and recently upgraded. I traded it in, old one had 158,000 miles no rattles at all. Solid beast.

This 07 has the following.
1. Driver's mirror rattles, sounds like it's banging on the window when hitting bumps and it makes the smap crackle and pop sound, crackles up.
2. Driver's dashboard (near left tweeter) rattles too over bumps, noticeable, annoying.
3. Passanger headrest ticks when going over bumps if headrest is raised, sounds like someone chewing gum.
4. Center speaker rattles over bumps and when i get incomming calls via bluetooth, there's distortion and fuzz ocasionally, sounds like a busted speaker about 30% of the time, usually noticeable with high pitched sounds.
5. Sound of metal clapping undeneath car when going over bumps. Some piece of metal is vibrating from underneath the car when the rear tires hit bumps at about 30mph+

Current mileage, 3,550. I'm so depressed over the whole thing, everytime i think about how much money i spent on it, and the problems it's got, i feel like crying. Let's just say i'd sleep better if i knew my money would be worth it.

Performance wise, engine design is all great. Never had any engine or engine trouble, all is well. I would love the car much more if it was missing those 5 things mentioned above.

I'm also scared to bring it to the dealer, cuz once it's there it's just not gonna be the same once they tamper with it. I'm concerned about that dashboard rattle by the left tweeter. Scared they'll have to take the dashboard apart and i'll probably have more problems; not sure how they would handle a rattle like that. I always play some music when riding and tell myself constantly, there are no reattles, there are no rattles....
Old 07-22-2007, 12:05 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Did any of you folks test drive or inspect your cars before you accepted them?
I'm just curious because I would not have taken delivery of a new car with most of the problems described.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:36 AM
Advanced

Yes i've tested it. These problems started happening to me after 1,000miles. Since then i've noticed one by one here and there. The only test i haven't done while test driving the car was the bluetooth, other than that, it was rattle free when i bought it
Old 07-22-2007, 08:22 AM
Racer

I was told that the cars are being assembled by robots. If this is the case I can't figure out why there would be build quality problems. Unless the parts are substandard. From my research it seems the most solid cars were built before 2000-2002. It really disturbs and disappoints me the way things are manufactured here. Why does a car made in Japan seem to be better than here? Doesn't anyone take pride in their job?
Old 07-22-2007, 09:03 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
When I arrived in the US from Japan a year ago, I was hell-bent on buying a TL. I drove the TSX (Accord) in Japan, but I really liked the look of the TL better. So I purchased a brand new 06 TL and with about 3500 miles on it, I sold it. I had problem after problem and the rattles (more than the problems) drove me crazy!

My TSX in Japan was rock solid, so I expected the same here in the states. BOY WAS I WRONG! Right now, I drive a 2001 Infiniti and it doesn't rattle at all. Also my brother drives a 2001 330i and his car is rock solid. So I'm planning on getting a TSX or BMW. I've read that a lot of you complain about stealership maintenance cost, but my brother doesn't take his car to the dealer. He purchased a service manual (years ago) and if something goes wrong, he does most stuff on his own (smart guy!). You guys will be a lot better off when you realize the service guy that repairs your Acura is not a rocket scientist on salary. In fact, he's just the opposite and he'll do the minimum amount of work to satisfy the service request on your vehicle (Lexus service guy lives down the street).

You all have to realize that US Acura quality will NEVER change as long as everyone (like the people on this site) continues to accept the imperfections on their vehicles. It's amazing to me that when I read post after post, people actually say "I paid $35K or more for my TL or TLS and it rattles like crazy, but that's ok because I like the look"…WOW, that's crazy to me. Cars aren't supposed to rattle. And if they are, then it should be fixed...and not with duct tape or chewing gum.

I did love the sound, drive and ride of the TL. But I paid for quality and I didn't get it. Now, I'm looking for a TSX/BMW. I may buy a TL in the future, but it will be when I can keep it in the garage (not as my daily driver) and in no hurry, totally take "EVERYTHING" out of it (seats, dash, door panels, headliner, rear deck) down to the bear metal and put everything back together with new clips/silicone and spray the bear metal with sound coating. One of my friends did this on his Nissan Maxima and that thing rides/sounds like a really upscale luxury car!!

Well, good luck with your new car purchase. Just remember, all the stuff you read on this site is VERY TRUE! US Acura quality has gone down hill and when/if you purchase a TL you will experience the same thing. Then, you'll either sell your car, deal with it or do like everyone else on this site and just learn to accept it. (And that's sad!)
Old 07-22-2007, 09:29 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I was told that the cars are being assembled by robots. If this is the case I can't figure out why there would be build quality problems. Unless the parts are substandard. From my research it seems the most solid cars were built before 2000-2002. It really disturbs and disappoints me the way things are manufactured here. Why does a car made in Japan seem to be better than here? Doesn't anyone take pride in their job?
I was stationed in Japan for 10 years and yes cars are built by robot-like computers arms in Japan. I've been to the Honda, Nissan and Toyota plants and it is an awesome site to see!! They also have a laser guided quality control mechanism that check clearances. Not to mention, the Japanese factory worker moves around the factory with a purpose. They don't talk, laugh or joke around on the assembly line. THEY ARE ALL BUSINESS ON THE LINE!

However, we are not so lucky here in the U.S. In the U.S. effort to keep the economy strong, US manufacturers employ humans to assemble cars. Because of that, the quality is not up to par with the Japanese. In fact, because of the U.S./foreign trade agreement, Japanese automakers were forced to open U.S. assembly plants here in the U.S. if they wanted to continue to sell the same amount/more cars here in the states. So while the parts of your car are still made in Japan, the final assembly (up to 95%) is done here in the states.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:38 AM
Advanced

As to the question about whether I test drove my new TL-S before the purchase - most certainly I did. I would not pay $38,500 for anything without knowing if I liked it or not! The test drive did not reveal the squealing engine, the low oil pressure, the rattling suspension system, and we did not set the drivers memory system during the test drive to check its function. The engine problems have been intermittent and did not reveal themselves until 2000 to 3000 miles of driving, but the suspension problems and drivers memory system problems occurred within two weeks after the purchase. An earlier response to my dilemma suggested that the suspension rattles have been solved, and that they are water under the bridge - no they are not. The TSB for the rear suspension rattles has just been released, and the debate over whether it is a real solution goes on. Just read the last page of the very big thread entitled "2007 Type S - Noisy Rear Suspension" contained within this Problems & Fixes sub forum.

I have been reading about the experiences of owners of the Lexus IS series cars at the Lexus IS forum. You will read about an occasional interior rattle, but the most common problem by far is brake dust on the wheels. I wish brake dust or an interior rattle were the extent of my problems with the 2007 TL-S! I would be happy with my purchase if that were the case. In my situation, the engine has already indicated low oil pressure, and the car has a myriad of other problems to boot. I thought that the Acura TL-S was a good buy because of the large standard feature list and the glowing reports from the various consumer magazines. I know dead well that if my engine poops out sometime soon that my sleazy dealer and lipservice Acura corporate will place the blame upon my shoulders, and a replacement engine on my part will more than make up for the "good deal". Considering these facts, the Acura TL-S is not cheaper, or a better buy than the Lexus IS 350. The hassle of dealing with a dealer that is out to get me, and Acura corporate 'help' that says that they can't help me, but rather just sends me back to the same dealer to be screwed agian is just that - a big HASSLE. I do not even like seeing my dealrship when I have to drive by there, much less think about having to go there agian! So far, my car has been in worse condition every time I recieved it back from them, and I do not care to see the faces of the general manager or service manager ever agian. Believe me when I say this, I gladly explain my entire experience with Acura EVERY time someone asks about my pretty car! I wish that my TL-S would been as wonderful as they have been touted to be, because I would have enjoyed bieng a very satisfied customer. The probem of not fixing the car is a fault of the dealer, but the problem of producing a car with this many problems in the begining is the fault of Acura.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:49 PM
Old Folks

Yes, I had the same concern after reading some of the posts on this forum. However, I decided purchase an '06 TL AT w/o Nav. i have had it one year, had one rattle fixed by the dealer, no other problems, and love this car!
Old 07-22-2007, 06:38 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by three

My first test drive I drove two TL-S vehicles. One with a few miles ( < 100 ) and one with 1800 miles ( think it was a salesmans car ).

The low mile vehicle was pretty solid except going over bumpy pavement. Rattling from the back. At this point I hadn't done extensive research here so really not sure if this was the suspension problem or rear deck issue.

The car with some miles had at least two dash rattles going down smooth pavement and again something rattling in the rear over bumps.

After getting feedback here to put things in perspective I decided to go one more time for another test drive.

Drove a TL-S with 60 miles and the car was solid could not find any faults and I was looking this time. When we got back I asked if there was a demo with a few more miles but they didn't have one available.

So one out of three was rock solid ( at least initially ). The one with a few miles on it had more rattles already than I could live with. Of course I am sure most items can be corrected but my time is valuable to me.

So now after driving four G35 sedans ( 2 sport and 2 awd ), one with 3300 miles, the decision has been made. I have placed a order for G35x.

Hard decision as the G35 is running about 2k - 5k more than the TL-S ( was able to get the TL-S down to 33.9k ) depending on which model you get.

However coming from a BMW I expect a certain level of quality ( even from a 35K car ) and just could not bring myself up to take a chance on a Acura.

Hopefully someone in Acura is taking note of the competition. They had their chance to earn a customer that for the last 10 years has been driving German brands and ready for a switch.

I'm afraid at this point it is very unlikely that I will ever consider the brand again.

Best of luck to all here. Happy motoring.

Quick Reply: Acura Quality