ABS, VSA, Brake, Battery and Airbag lights all on

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2020 | 04:11 PM
4th Gear

ABS, VSA, Brake, Battery and Airbag lights all on

I've searched high and low as to what the issue might be with all of these lights on at the same time. The closest thing I can find is that a speed sensor may be malfunctioning although the airbag light doesn't seem to be a symptom there. This has been going on for the past couple of weeks.

I can drive 30 miles it seems without any lights popping up but out of the blue the ABS, VSA and brake lights will seem to come on at once. Shortly thereafter the airbag light comes on then the battery. One thing that does seem to be consistent is that when the airbag light comes on the radio system cuts out. At first, I thought there might be a short in my aftermarket Bluetooth device activating all of these lights but even with that unplugged and turned off the lights are still coming on.

I have an appointment with Acura tomorrow to get it looked at but thought I'd check in with some of the experts here in advance. New to the forum here, TYIA for any help.

2007 TL, Base, 106k miles

Old 02-10-2020 | 04:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Replace your battery and then go from there. Low-charged batteries can throw a bunch of other lights on as false positives
The following users liked this post:
SulluBear (02-10-2020)
Old 02-10-2020 | 04:30 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Replace your battery and then go from there. Low-charged batteries can throw a bunch of other lights on as false positives
I should have mentioned in the OP - I actually put a new Interstate battery in last week and it didn't seem to make a difference. Also, I had a new alternator installed last summer when getting the timing belt changed. When I checked both with a multimeter everything seems to be in order and working fine.
Old 02-11-2020 | 10:19 AM
Drifting

This will end up being electrical related, that is all there is to it. Either a bad battery, alternator, or cables/connections. I would focus on your actual cables on your battery to confirm they aren't corroded within the cable jacket itself. Next confirm if your alternator is still charging things correctly. If this is intermittent and comes and goes, this is more than likely a failing cable or connection somewhere.
The following users liked this post:
SulluBear (02-11-2020)
Old 02-11-2020 | 10:44 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Jackass
This will end up being electrical related, that is all there is to it. Either a bad battery, alternator, or cables/connections. I would focus on your actual cables on your battery to confirm they aren't corroded within the cable jacket itself. Next confirm if your alternator is still charging things correctly. If this is intermittent and comes and goes, this is more than likely a failing cable or connection somewhere.
Thank you. I've got an appointment with Jay Wolfe Acura on State Line this afternoon to diagnose (from your avatar, sounds like you may be close to there!). I'll update with the results!
Old 02-11-2020 | 11:16 AM
Drifting

I am a big fan of Jay Wolfe overall. They have been very good to me over the years. Although for repairs, I have had to negotiate down some of their parts pricing. I had my car towed there a few years back due to a failed battery cable leaving my wife stranded at work. They wanted waaaaay too much for repair and I told them never mind, I will bring some zip-ties and electrical tape and drive it home and fix it myself. Magically their quote came back to reality and I ended up having them do the work instead.
Old 02-12-2020 | 10:16 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Jackass
I am a big fan of Jay Wolfe overall. They have been very good to me over the years. Although for repairs, I have had to negotiate down some of their parts pricing. I had my car towed there a few years back due to a failed battery cable leaving my wife stranded at work. They wanted waaaaay too much for repair and I told them never mind, I will bring some zip-ties and electrical tape and drive it home and fix it myself. Magically their quote came back to reality and I ended up having them do the work instead.
So it was actually the alternator pumping out too many volts at various times. Up to 19 actually! What's sad is that Delco alternator was just replaced a little over a year ago. Anyway, the new alternator is in and all lights are off! Thanks!