6MT rolling on/off throttle... feels like a bumping; or play in drivetrain?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 01:17 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
6MT rolling on/off throttle... feels like a bumping; or play in drivetrain?

So, say I'm in 3rd, 3-4kRPM and I give it some gas then I back off the throttle and give it gas again there's some play I feel. bumping; sloppy play between laying off and on the throttle. Not smooth at all, almost like a newbie driving stick

To me it feels like the engine is bumping back and forth... was thinking of replacing motor mounts. But I'd like to get some other opinions.

I don't hear any noises clicking/clacking or anything when I get the play but you can feel it throughout the car when it bumps. I mention the lack of noise because I think of the CV shafts.

6MT 2005 TL, 46k miles....

Any thoughts? thanks!

-David

Last edited by SiGGy; 09-22-2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:30 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I have had this problem for almost a year and there is a thread on here with another member experiencing the same problem. Well I can tell you its not the mounts/traction control/drive by wire system/ABS sensors/Clutch/ thats causing mine to do this. The next thing I will get to is fuel pump/fuel injectors/ spark plugs and I heard something about the intake air temp sensor causes this issue but you wont have an engine light if its bad, just replacing it will make the difference. I hope you figgure it out before going through what I had to. I will keep you and others posted with any progress. I have been taken up at work and a bit lazy to get to the other stuff, Good luck.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:33 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Splke
I have had this problem for almost a year and there is a thread on here with another member experiencing the same problem. Well I can tell you its not the mounts/traction control/drive by wire system/ABS sensors/Clutch/ thats causing mine to do this. The next thing I will get to is fuel pump/fuel injectors/ spark plugs and I heard something about the intake air temp sensor causes this issue but you wont have an engine light if its bad, just replacing it will make the difference. I hope you figgure it out before going through what I had to. I will keep you and others posted with any progress. I have been taken up at work and a bit lazy to get to the other stuff, Good luck.
thanks, where is your thread? I'd like to read it.

My issue seems like slack in the drive train. If I quickly push the gas then let off then press it again theres a physical bump felt throughout the car. Like something has play in it. I feel the bump twice during this on and off gas, 1st when the car slows down from RPMs dropping, then again when I hit the gas.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:44 PM
2004 NBP TL 6MT

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I have an 04 TL 6MT and had similar issue in 1st gear acceleration from a stop, when I first purchased this used 66K mile vehicle.

Later, did the throttle body adaptation procedure to have system relearn to me driving and now I can do a normal/DD 1st gear launch smoothly. The sensitivity of the APP (acceleration pedal pressure) sensor does seem key in this DBW (drive-by-wire) system.

My point is I believe (assuming your components are sound) this 3G TL is more dependent on the programmed electronics than older Hondas to drive smoothly. I'm still learning how this vehicle differs from the older Hondas I'm used to working on, cool technology if done properly. Overall, I feel my 04 TL was tuned biased towards a "sport" feel and given the 06 TL's were retuned to reduce torque-steer on hard acceleration, it does seem relevant.

Also keep in mind Hondas are known when closing throttle body to cut fuel injectors, which can lead to your symptoms (even in older modified Hondas) when not properly tuned in this area. Another combustion event in engine could still occur shortly after closing off throttle body, cranking engine over again which would result in that extra bump you feel. The vehicle is just reacting to your previous electrical input through accelerator pedal.

Last edited by HondaFan81; 09-22-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:04 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by HondaFan81
I have an 04 TL 6MT and had similar issue in 1st gear acceleration from a stop, when I first purchased this used 66K mile vehicle.

Later, did the throttle body adaptation procedure to have system relearn to me driving and now I can do a normal/DD 1st gear launch smoothly. The sensitivity of the APP (acceleration pedal pressure) sensor does seem key in this DBW (drive-by-wire) system.

My point is I believe (assuming your components are sound) this 3G TL is more dependent on the programmed electronics than older Hondas to drive smoothly. I'm still learning how this vehicle differs from the older Hondas I'm used to working on, cool technology if done properly. Overall, I feel my 04 TL was tuned biased towards a "sport" feel and given the 06 TL's were retuned to reduce torque-steer on hard acceleration, it does seem relevant.

Also keep in mind Hondas are known when closing throttle body to cut fuel injectors, which can lead to your symptoms (even in older modified Hondas) when not properly tuned in this area. Another combustion event in engine could still occur shortly after closing off throttle body, cranking engine over again which would result in that extra bump you feel. The vehicle is just reacting to your previous electrical input through accelerator pedal.

Thanks!

My issue doesn't happen with acceleration from a stop. I have no problem driving it smoothly from a stop up to 60-70mph.

The problem is when I back off the throttle and back on it again. You can feel the slack in the drive train. It actually makes the car jar/bump around; really annoying.

It feels as if the engine might be rocking back and forth; i.e. when accelerating the engine gets twisted one way. Then when decelerating (engine braking) the engine gets twisted the opposite direction. It's like there's a lot of play in that movement.

This is my guess... since it's not making an audible clucking noise I'm guessing it's not metal on metal that has any play in it. (like CV shafts)
Old 09-22-2010, 07:20 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
OH sorry, I forgot to mention you should check the engine torque damper. Its located behind the motor and prevents a jerking acceleration and decelaration.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:17 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Splke
OH sorry, I forgot to mention you should check the engine torque damper. Its located behind the motor and prevents a jerking acceleration and decelaration.
Thanks!, I didn't know that shock was in there!

I can see cracks in my front engine mount. I'm going to replace the 3 motor mounts.

Makes me wonder if I should do this shock too.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:50 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Seems like part number is 50829-SEP-A02 for my car?

I don't see a way to just buy the shock.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:45 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its the dual mass flywheel. Just had mine changed and saw that there is 10-15 degrees of free play between the springs in it. This explains this feeling that I saw to. Lousy Honda design!! Nothing you can do about it. There is a video somewhere how these are made in one of the other threads.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:01 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ml3456
Its the dual mass flywheel. Just had mine changed and saw that there is 10-15 degrees of free play between the springs in it. This explains this feeling that I saw to. Lousy Honda design!! Nothing you can do about it. There is a video somewhere how these are made in one of the other threads.
dual masses are always complicated pieces of shit.....

but yeah those springs should basically be snug in there
Old 09-28-2010, 12:16 PM
IDM
Instructor

I'm feeling this too, kind of feels like my front wheels are off balance when I accelerate at high speeds. But if I put on cruise control at 80 its smooth as can be. Makes me think it's the clutch issue as well. My car is a 04 with 80k miles. If I'm feeling this does it mean I need to replace the flywheel or the clutch? Its really not that big of an issue for me I can live with it. But wondering if the clutch/flywheel is about to fail?