3rd windshield@2000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 09:40 PM
'05 TL NBP/Ebony Auto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 3rd windshield@2000 miles

I dont know if i'm having a streak of bad luck, or these TL windshields are very soft and sensitive... i accidentally left the wipers on the intermittent position one night. I started the car two days later, and some grit must've gotten on the windshield or blade, cause it left a very fine micro wiper scratch right in my line of sight (so dont forget to turn them off ). it was almost invisible..... almost.. anyway, another 1500miles later and i'm sitting at a light. some guy 3 lanes over was doing his landscaping with a weedwacker. I'm assuming it fired some shrapnel at me, cause something hit the very edge of the windshield, and instantly made a 2" crack. By the next day it was almost 3/4 the way across car. I figured it would be best for me to get it fixed at the dealership (although $750!!), but they offer me great service, and fortunately stand behind it with no fight. So they replaced the windshield, but it was raining hard all weekend and i couldnt get a good look at it for a few days.. Finally a sunny day came and i noticed all types of scratches on my NEW windshield. a deep scratch you can feel with fingernail, and all types of microscratches. unbelievable. so i go back to acura, lady took one look and told me not to worry, they will replace it as soon as possible. well my 3rd windshield in only 2000 miles will be installed next week.

Anyone else have similar stories?
Old 07-13-2005, 10:54 AM
Burning Brakes

I was going in a 2 lane raod, dump truck passed in the lane going the other way. Rock hit the windshield and created a foot long crack. Got it replaced at the dealer. THat has been the only windsheild I have had 2 replace though, mine is an 04 with 21K miles. I have never ahd another car break a windshield
Old 07-13-2005, 04:26 PM
Advanced

Geeez...$750 seems like alot. I would have called around got prices, but insisted on OEM glass. Most glass companies can do that.

I think most states you can get your windshield replaced for free depending on your insurance?? Last time I had mine replaced (in Florida) didn't cost me a dime and insurance didnt go up either. It's been awhile though so don't quote me hehe. As a matter of fact the company that replaced it also gave me a free box of steaks, they wern't too bad
Old 07-13-2005, 10:13 PM
'05 TL NBP/Ebony Auto

whoa free steaks?!? i paid $750, and all i got was a tshirt & hat haha

my insurance deductible is $500 (even for auto glass claims), and the agent said it would lead to an increase most likely if i made a claim. NJ auto insurance is real shady, its like a mafia shakedown. I was quoted approx $500 from local auto glass companies so i just figured if there were any problems, the dealership would be easier to get after since i'm leasing it through them too. they gave me no fight whatsoever about replacing the ugly windshield they installed, and i get a TL loaner for the day.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:25 AM
TotaLy LeO

Originally Posted by BigTone
I dont know if i'm having a streak of bad luck, or these TL windshields are very soft and sensitive... i accidentally left the wipers on the intermittent position one night. I started the car two days later, and some grit must've gotten on the windshield or blade, cause it left a very fine micro wiper scratch right in my line of sight (so dont forget to turn them off ). it was almost invisible..... almost.. anyway, another 1500miles later and i'm sitting at a light. some guy 3 lanes over was doing his landscaping with a weedwacker. I'm assuming it fired some shrapnel at me, cause something hit the very edge of the windshield, and instantly made a 2" crack. By the next day it was almost 3/4 the way across car. I figured it would be best for me to get it fixed at the dealership (although $750!!), but they offer me great service, and fortunately stand behind it with no fight. So they replaced the windshield, but it was raining hard all weekend and i couldnt get a good look at it for a few days.. Finally a sunny day came and i noticed all types of scratches on my NEW windshield. a deep scratch you can feel with fingernail, and all types of microscratches. unbelievable. so i go back to acura, lady took one look and told me not to worry, they will replace it as soon as possible. well my 3rd windshield in only 2000 miles will be installed next week.

you know im having the same issue, not as abd i think but along those lines, 2 windshiled in 11,000 miles, i also invested close to 750 in bills, damn oem parts well, just thought i would shrare...
Old 07-21-2005, 06:28 PM
'05 TL NBP/Ebony Auto

just to update, 3rd windshield is now installed, it looks great and is scratch free.. but now 2 days later, it appears to have created a new rattle near the rearview mirror, which is activated by even just the engines roar. i'm hoping it will fix itself overnight, but if not, i'm going back to acura ..... again...... why cant this just be over with .......

i'm not sure if the mirror needs to be tightened or what, but if i apply pressure on the windshield it seems to calm the rattle.. god dammit

i'll keep you posted, but if this becomes a pattern, it will definitely affect the likelihood i lease another TL. awesome looking car, awesome performance, but rattles make it seem so cheap.. our accord with 100,000 miles doesnt rattle

grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by BigTone
Good god I hope not. Good luck with your newest windshield.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:43 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by Toasterthedog
Geeez...$750 seems like alot. I would have called around got prices, but insisted on OEM glass. Most glass companies can do that.
My '89 Accord SE-i went through 4 windshields in 15 years. No aftermarket replacement was ever available for that special edition model, OEM only! $425 wholesale just for the glass at a Honda dealer parts counter, had to be special ordered of course. $600 average price installed. At least it was always covered by insurance.

So $750 for our rattle buckets doesn't surprise me much.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:38 AM
10th Gear

Has anyone heard about a recall on the windshield after it has been replaced. I was told by the company that replaced my windshield that if I hear a whistle after it was replaced then it didn't seal correctly and that this was do to a recall on the car. They informed me that I should notify the dealer because of the silent recall.