3rd Brake Light Cover- Adhesive Wearing Out

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 04:21 PM
Make it so

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
Thumbs up 3rd Brake Light Cover- Adhesive Wearing Out

After a thorough search, I couldn't find anything on this subject here on AZ, but if my memory serves me right, I remember reading a TSB about this a while ago.

Anyway....

Using this diagram as a reference:

Part #25, the third (high) stop light cover assembly, is attached onto the rear windshield using some kind of adhesive. Now this adhesive has worn out, and I need to find some way to reattach it securely onto the windshield so there is no gap.

The main reason for this is because at night, when the third tail light turns on, it shines onto the windshield and the speaker area, making it hard to see behind me while driving. Obviously a safety hazard.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, and what was your fix? Ideally, a kind of adhesive to put in its place.

I would go for the TSB normally, but the Acura dealership is in Salt Lake (three hours round-trip, not counting how much time I'm at the dealership) and because I never go there, they give me the run-around for doing TSB work. "Goodwill" work hasn't worked in the past either, since they know I live far away, didn't buy my car from them, and will move away this year after I graduate college.

Many thanks in advance!
The following users liked this post:
95DC2TL (02-27-2018)
Old 02-12-2012, 04:36 PM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
it's not an adhesive, just a rubber lip that should seal against the glass.

I just fixed mine last week by ripping off the cover, then getting a thin strip of adhesive insulation foam (available at Home Depot or Lowes, etc.) along the glass (not the rubber part of the gasket). The rubber now sits on the foam and seals the light from leaking.

I have tints on my rear that are cut around the brake light so I used that as a guide.
The following users liked this post:
95DC2TL (02-27-2018)
Old 02-12-2012, 05:04 PM
'06 NBP TL 5AT NAV

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ez12a
it's not an adhesive, just a rubber lip that should seal against the glass.

I just fixed mine last week by ripping off the cover, then getting a thin strip of adhesive insulation foam (available at Home Depot or Lowes, etc.) along the glass (not the rubber part of the gasket). The rubber now sits on the foam and seals the light from leaking.

I have tints on my rear that are cut around the brake light so I used that as a guide.
I did the same to mine to correct a minor light leak, the cover is not glued on but has plastic plugs that are pushed in to secure the cover.

The TSB #06-024 referred to the fabric cover coming loose. That happened to mine and the dealer just replaced the cover.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:13 PM
'06 NBP TL 5AT NAV

FYI all the TSBs can be viewed in the 3G Garage section, I have found them to be an excellent source of ammunition when speaking with my dealer's service writers.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:17 PM
Make it so

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
Thumbs up

Excellent info, and thanks for the quick response. That definitely helps clear it up!

I doubt I'll go all the way to SLC and back for one repair like this, especially since they have no reason to give it to me as a goodwill consideration (for the reason I already posted).

If I was to do this on my own, not using the insulation foam that was mentioned, would I need to purchase a new cover and clips, or just the clips?
Old 02-12-2012, 05:36 PM
'06 NBP TL 5AT NAV

I can't really say, but the TSB has a pretty good diagram on how the cover is attached that should give you some insight on how to proceed.

That light leak really bothered me wher I had it, good luck with the fix.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:00 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Man this forum is great! My fabric is falling down on mine, I am definitely going to go to the dealer with this TSB and see if they replace it.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:37 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For insight - how do you "rip" off the cover? It seems to be attached to the entire ceiling lining? Also, would some 3M double sided thin sticky strips fix this?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-12-2013, 03:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by HokAy
For insight - how do you "rip" off the cover? It seems to be attached to the entire ceiling lining? Also, would some 3M double sided thin sticky strips fix this?

Thanks in advance!
Just pull it down, it'll just pop out there are no screws and it shouldn't be adhered to anything with double-sided tape.

I've taken mine off to clean the glass before and inside of the light cover.

I wouldn't use double sided tape, it's going to make it a mess to try to get it off again later and clean up the double sided tape from the glass.

I'd try just cleaning it and putting it back on unless something is peeling up.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:42 PM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used the foam with adhesive method mentioned above to fix mine. I found this two-sided adhesive foam I got from Home Depot a while back and it did the trick. I attached it to the tint so it can't be seen from the outside.

3rd brake light cover by kfanciu, on Flickr

Very poor design on this piece -- it's almost like it was an afterthought.