26k miles and a/c stinking already....HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 08:56 PM
#TeamBoosted

Received 66 Likes on 11 Posts
26k miles and a/c stinking already....HELP!

Ok so i started noticing a foul and somewat nasty smell (like a dead animal) whenever I turn on my car and a/c blows for the first 15 seconds. After 15 seconds it goes away.

So I changed out my air filter, and a charcoal activated 5 layer cabin air filter. That still doesn't help. I tried turning off the a/c and just let the fan blow for 1 minute prior to destination and don't use the recirculate buttom often. This happens everytime I step inside my car, crank it, and the moment i crank on the a/c, the first 15 seconds is dreadful.

What can be the case? Mine's an 07 with 26k miles. I do notice that water from the a/c leaks onto my carpet just right behind the radio/dash (directly behind the upper compartment below the radio where the carpet meets with the side dash)....is this causing it?
Old 06-16-2008, 09:29 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is your ac set to ricirculate the air. I had a car once with some ac water on the carpet and it did not smell good at all. If the air is recirculating my thoughs would be that it is sucking that stinky water air. Just a theory.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:38 PM
08 TL-S Kinetic Blue

take it to the dealer.......lots of miles already on it for an 07...warranty should still be on it gl
Old 06-16-2008, 09:43 PM
NVthisTL247

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well considering you are saying ur carpet is wet..im thinkin sumtin is blocking the drain for the ac...this happens every now and then where i work...a spider or sumtin crawls up in there and makes a web...usually we just shoot some compressed air in there and a ton of water comes out...so id just take it to the dealer...
Old 06-17-2008, 12:38 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
you have a clogged evap drain- no wonder the car smells!

no water should be on the carpet- that would be the first clue as to a return to dealer!
or look yourself- see if drain line got kicked off
Old 06-17-2008, 01:11 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 1FreshTL287
well considering you are saying ur carpet is wet..im thinkin sumtin is blocking the drain for the ac...this happens every now and then where i work...a spider or sumtin crawls up in there and makes a web...usually we just shoot some compressed air in there and a ton of water comes out...so id just take it to the dealer...
x2...

The only thing that can make it smell that bad is stale water. Just jack up your front end and break a chop-stick in Half and stick it in the hole and try to clean it up (Passanger Side near the Firewall)... See if any water comes out... GL on ur Finding...:P
Old 06-21-2008, 01:20 AM
Intermediate

Update...Since I have been doing some research on this problem...

The trick is to turn the AC off about 3-5 minutes before you're going to turn the car off and the condensation on the coils won't continue to drip when the car is turned off.

Here is a helpful link to read about ur smelly problem..

What's That Smell??

I would try this first

Turn your A/C on full blast for 15-30 mins. Then, turn it off 5 mins before you turn off the engine. It should go away. Usually, the smell is from mildew buildup in the vents.

If that doesn't work do this.....

To get rid of mildew you have, get a new activated charcoal micro-filter for your car, get a can of Lysol, remove the old filter from the carrier, turn the AC on, and empty about half of the can of Lysol into the intake area to the cabin air of the micro-filter housing. Lysol kills, germs, mold, and mildew. Put the new filter in, shut the car off and let it sit overnight
Old 06-21-2008, 01:47 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
What you've stated above is all good info.

However, to the OP as previously mentioned, if your evaporator filter is the cause of your mildew/odor problem, you will be in for a high repair bill. I've gone through 2 bottles of Lysol and 2 charcoal activated cabin filters in my wife's GLI in 6 months, and the smell is still present . The bill for replacement of the unit was in the thousands, as the the mechanic told me, "It's that expensive because the evaporator filter is the first thing in, and the last thing to come out."

Hopefully you get rid of your scent!
Old 06-21-2008, 02:19 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by princelybug
What you've stated above is all good info.

However, to the OP as previously mentioned, if your evaporator filter is the cause of your mildew/odor problem, you will be in for a high repair bill. I've gone through 2 bottles of Lysol and 2 charcoal activated cabin filters in my wife's GLI in 6 months, and the smell is still present . The bill for replacement of the unit was in the thousands, as the the mechanic told me, "It's that expensive because the evaporator filter is the first thing in, and the last thing to come out."

Hopefully you get rid of your scent!
Ok, you got me lost on the evaporator filter? What is that? Never heard of such thing. I know of an Evaporator...but no filter. If his evaporator does have build up on it. I would try the exact step of the Lysol and it should solve the problem.
Old 06-21-2008, 02:46 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Trippin Bimmer
Ok, you got me lost on the evaporator filter? What is that? Never heard of such thing. I know of an Evaporator...but no filter. If his evaporator does have build up on it. I would try the exact step of the Lysol and it should solve the problem.
Sorry, I was thinking of the cabin filter and evaporator at the same time when I was typing.

But, in the case of my wife's GLI, no amount of Lysol will do it. As I mentioned, I've done the Lysol spray method countless times and her car still smells.

However, it could be different with the TL?
Old 06-22-2008, 04:44 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it has nothing to do with shutting off your A/C early acura actually recommends never shutting it off to keep smells away

If it's dripping on your floor you drain is clogged and that's why it stinks

and after the drain is cleared here is a trick to disinfect the air box. With your blower on high and on fresh air spray lysol spray into the holes on your wiper cowl, usually have to open your hood to get to those
Old 06-22-2008, 08:49 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lars161
and after the drain is cleared here is a trick to disinfect the air box. With your blower on high and on fresh air spray lysol spray into the holes on your wiper cowl, usually have to open your hood to get to those
If you do that wont ur Carbon Actived Filter filter it out? I think you should remove it...and spray it inside the box where the filter goes...:P
Old 06-23-2008, 11:15 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TSXinity
nasty smell (like a dead animal)
It could actually be a dead animal. I had mice nest (and die) in the HVAC system of my 1984 BMW 533i. I had to take the whole dash apart to get the mess out.

Good luck!