2008 TL-S: Squealing / whirring / grinding from serpentine belt near alternator.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 07:56 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 TL-S: Squealing / whirring / grinding from serpentine belt near alternator.

Hi guys,

My s/o's 2008 tL-s started making a whining noise pretty badly - around the alternator area.

Well I pulled the alternator today and had it tested.

It passed fine without any issues at two different autozone stores - and wasn't making any noise when tested on the machine.

So what is making the noise?

I can't find any of the pulleys that isn't spinning freely or making noise...

But when the car is running, omg loud squealing / whirring / grinding!

The car just turned over 100k miles.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:17 AM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
sounds like a tensioner.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:19 AM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
How sure are you that it is the alternator? With your mileage I would suspect the tensioner or idler pulley. Also while running the car look at the AC compressor and pay attention when the clutch engages. Your are almost ready for the big 105K mile service. In addition to the timing belt and water pump, I would change the timing belt tensioner, serpentine belt tension and idler pulley.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:21 AM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Also, how cold is it where you are? I experienced the same issue and noises on start up, and it turned out to be the power steering pump. I used this DIY to replace a 77 cent o ring and problem solved!

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/diy-105-power-steering-whine-fix-754586/
The following users liked this post:
AcRight08 (12-20-2013)
Old 12-16-2013, 09:59 AM
KCCO

Received 192 Likes on 173 Posts
As djdonte said, it's soon time for your 105,000 mile service anyway. Replace those parts and your problem should go away. Timing belt, tensioner, serpentine and tensioner, idler pulley and water pump. It will cost you some bucks though! Also you should replace the plugs at the same time.

Or, take the whole car to a reputable shop and get them to just fix the problem. Truthfully, it will not be hard for them to diagnose. It won't be nearly as big a job, but if they have to take all of that stuff off anyway to fix your belts, it's more cost effective to do the whole service at the same time.

Last edited by MarcoNorthPolo; 12-16-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:19 AM
Intermediate

I know the 105k mile service is coming up soon, so that's why I want to replace as little as I have to right now.

I'll likely just do the timing belt and water pump myself also.

It's one of the other pulleys, but maybe I'll replace them all.

There's a "kit" that has the pulleys and a new belt for $130:
31170-RCA-A04

I'll double check today and see which pulley it is, they are pretty cheap to replace individually though:

31180-RCA-A02 $11.53
31190-RCA-A02 $14.95

Last edited by Black_R; 12-16-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:04 PM
Intermediate

http://www.oemacuraparts.com/oem-par...=31170-RCA-A04

Got this from honda today for $103:
http://www.oemacuraparts.com/oem-par...=31170-RCA-A04

But I believe the noise is coming from the AC compressor.

Fuck!
Old 12-16-2013, 08:09 PM
Intermediate

I found out that there's a tsb for the AC compressor:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/au...9TSB.html?_r=0

After I bolted everything back up, it's a bit quieter now but I'm still wary that it's the AC compressor and that it's only going to get worse.

Hopefully they'll perform the tsb work and if a bearing or whatnot needs to be replaced, they'll cover the overlapping labor.

*crossed fingers*
Old 12-16-2013, 10:38 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
if you have 100k miles I suggest rebuilding your pump. its a guaranteed leak once you hit that mileage. of all the hondas i've seen(and thats a lot) I have never seen one that didnt leak to some extent at 100k miles
Old 12-18-2013, 09:56 AM
Intermediate

Which pump are you referring to?
Old 12-21-2013, 04:02 PM
Intermediate

Update:

Since there's a tsb for this issue, I put everything back together and had her take the car in - along with a video I took of the AC compressor pulley making a squealing noise when I spun it by hand.

They cleaned the pulley and belt and sent her home. :/

A day later, it's squealing again.

I had her take it back in - they still say it's not the tsb because the description for the tsb is a squeal under startup only.
Furthermore, to replace the belt and 3 bolts (which is in the tsb! Wtf), they want to charge $180?!

Omg, how about this pulley riding out of alignment for 100k miles is the cause of the noise - by wearing out the bearing on the compressor?!

I'm aware of the leaky power steering pump issue, but that's a separate matter - because I've already isolated the noise to the AC compressor pulley.

Am I missing something?

Do dealers now charge for tsb repairs?

Last edited by Black_R; 12-21-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:21 PM
Intermediate

Update:

Since there's a tsb for this issue, I put everything back together and had her take the car in - along with a video I took of the AC compressor pulley making a squealing noise when I spun it by hand.

Some MDX and TL models may squeak when started. In T.S.B. 10-035 issued on Nov. 19, Acura said the noise in some 2007-8 MDXs and 2008 TLs comes from the engine’s accessory drive belt, but the underlying cause is a misaligned air-conditioning compressor. Using properly sized bolts to hold the compressor in place, and replacing the belt, should stop the noisy startup.

Here's the video I took:

They cleaned the pulley and belt and sent her home. :/

A day later, it's squealing again.

I had her take it back in - they still say it's not the tsb because the description for the tsb is a squeal under startup only.
Furthermore, to replace the belt and 3 bolts (which is in the tsb! Wtf), they want to charge $180?!

Omg, how about this pulley riding out of alignment for 100k miles is the cause of the noise - by wearing out the bearing on the compressor?!

I'm aware of the leaky power steering pump issue, but that's a separate matter - because I've already isolated the noise to the AC compressor pulley.

Am I missing something?

Do dealers now charge for tsb repairs?
Old 12-26-2013, 06:11 PM
Intermediate

I got a call from the service advisor today - they pulled the accessory belt off and let the car run when cold - there's some kind of noise coming from inside the timing cover.

Supposedly there's a tsb for this noisy timing belt rubbing inside the cover and they have to put a spacer on the timing belt tensioner and trim the inside of the plastic timing belt cover to fix it. :/
Old 12-26-2013, 08:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Guessing that you have same issue as I did with my 07. Mine has 80,000 on it. I narrowed it down to the ac compressor also. It was making a grinding/squealing noise. I ordered a new pulley/clutch/bearing set off ebay for $100. It's a Denso part. Pain in the butt to change out but it fixed my problem. When I spun the old bearing it spun good but I could feel a bad spot in it that would lightly catch. If you do the job make sure you get the shims that go between the pressure plate and pulley from Acura. They go around the 10mm bolt on the back side of the pressure plate. They come in 3 thicknesses according to my Acura shop manual. I still need to pick some up. My washer is a little too thick putting it just out of spec. You may or may not need them. My old one didn't have any shims but the new one needs them.
If you need any help just shoot me a pm.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:18 PM
Intermediate

Did you install the new serpentine tensioner? I also replaced mine and it was cracked on the underside.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:07 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Originally Posted by Black_R
I got a call from the service advisor today - they pulled the accessory belt off and let the car run when cold - there's some kind of noise coming from inside the timing cover.

Supposedly there's a tsb for this noisy timing belt rubbing inside the cover and they have to put a spacer on the timing belt tensioner and trim the inside of the plastic timing belt cover to fix it. :/
Yup, TSB 08-031. Can't believe no one tried running the engine with the belt off until now. Gotta love dealerships!!

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/3g-tl-technical-service-bulletins-tsbs-3g-garage-j-016-a-613659/

Last edited by nfnsquared; 12-26-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:01 PM
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Black_R

Is the dealer going to cover this under warranty?

My dealer will not. TSB or not, the timing belt rubbing due to the block being improperly machined is supposedly not covered under the power train warranty. I've heard a few J's make this noise at idle. Most of them appear to do it to some extent, but its intermittent. Some days its LOUD on my car, but I usually don't notice it.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:07 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ZOMGVTEK

My dealer will not. TSB or not, the timing belt rubbing due to the block being improperly machined is supposedly not covered under the power train warranty.
TSB are not for warranty. The TSBs are put out by the manufacturer and they will cover the cost to fix the problem within a certain time period. If it's past that period then it's up to you.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:19 PM
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 85 Posts
I understand a TSB is not a recall. It's intended to inform dealership mechanics of common problems and fixes. To my knowledge, they are never covered unless stated otherwise in the TSB.

A few people on here claim they had this issue resolved under powertrain warranty. I don't have the bumper to bumper, but my car is still covered under power train. I would think a defect in the engine would be considered power train, my dealership says it is not. The guy I talked to at the dealership just about directly told me the power train warranty is worthless and covers almost nothing, including MOST engine problems. Which is why I find it odd a few people claimed they had no issues handing this through powertrain warranty. One person even said they didn't even notice the issue, the dealer informed them about it at a service, and repaired it under powertrain. It sounds like the dealership interprets the warranty however they wish.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:35 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ZOMGVTEK

My dealer will not. TSB or not, the timing belt rubbing due to the block being improperly machined is supposedly not covered under the power train warranty. I've heard a few J's make this noise at idle. Most of them appear to do it to some extent, but its intermittent. Some days its LOUD on my car, but I usually don't notice it.

Whether it's covered under warranty or not doesn't matter to me because she just rolled over 101k miles... :/

Regardless, is this not a troublesome issue if the timing belt tensioner is out a bit and causes contact with the plastic timing cover?

Isn't there a chance that the timing belt could slip from too much slack and skip a tooth, thus bending valves?

Luckily if there are witness marks on the timing cover then the spacer can be installed when the timing belt service is done - so no extra labor cost there.

Zomgvtek, I feel you 100%!

Take it to another dealer and you'll likely get a totally different answer.