2008 tl headlight issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 07:34 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 tl headlight issues

I know there are many posts regarding headlights but I have not been able to find info to help me. My passenger side headlight went out on my 2008 tl. I assumed it was the bulb and replaced it but the light still did not work. After doing some research I decided to purchase a replacement ballast and ignitor, I bought a ballast off of amazon that the seller claimed would work , the number is wt19371. My oem part number on the ballast is w3t16591 and I could only find these used on ebay. I first swapped out the new ignitor with no luck, I then changed the ballast and still no luck. Meanwhile, my fog light which was working now went out. (I have tried several times to reattach connector but have not been able to get fog light to work and the bulb looks ok.) Since I got a new ignitor I am assuming it is the ballast and the one I purchased is not the right one, but I'm wondering if there is anything else that could cause the light not to work(fuses etc.) I don't think it is the wire since the fog light was working(until now) and the orange side lamp in the fixture still works. I was going to try and swap out the driver side ballast but I have not been able to figure out how to get the last bolts on the heat shield out(saw a coulple of youtube videos but they seem to have more access thatn I have). Not sure if it matters but I am the original owner and the bulbs have never been changed before. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated since I now have the bumber and headlight on my garage floor.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 763 Likes on 466 Posts
You're going about this all wrong--check your underhood fuse, which you should have done FIRST.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
08's have the fog light on the lower bumper, are you saying that one doesn't work? OR are you referring to the inner DRL ?

Pop off the bumper and remove the whoel assembly to get to the ballast. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvTn...ature=youtu.be

Swap ballasts first before buying more things