2008 Acura TL Type S 6 Speed MT Transmission Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 08:29 AM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 Acura TL Type S 6 Speed MT Transmission Problems

Hey guys so i recently replaced my clutch in my TL for the record it was a tough job but I got it done after breaking off a subframe bolt and having to replace frame body parts the car is finally back together on the initial start up there was a screaching noise that came about but went away very sudden after doing a quick check over on the vehicle went to take it for a test drive when trying to go into reverse the car showed resistance and would not go into gear without shutting the car off first and first gear is a bit rough but will go in flywheel was replaced also while doing the clutch if anyone has any experience with please shed some light of the situation Thanks
Old 07-03-2019, 08:32 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
If you used a new LuK pressure plate, did you properly set the self-adjusting mechanism? If not, that would easily explain your engagement issues.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:34 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by horseshoez
If you used a new LuK pressure plate, did you properly set the self-adjusting mechanism? If not, that would easily explain your engagement issues.
Are you speaking of the special tool to set the pressure ?
Old 07-03-2019, 09:17 AM

Received 5,884 Likes on 2,899 Posts
MODERATOR NOTE: Thread moved to model specific forum.
The following users liked this post:
Jdmdread (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 10:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,392 Posts
Originally Posted by Jdmdread
Are you speaking of the special tool to set the pressure ?
It would help to know the type of clutch kit / flywheel you installed. If it is an OEM equivalent, like the LUK kit, then it has a self-adjusting LUK pressure plate; therefore, '...the special tool to set the pressure...' is what the Helms recommends when installing the PP.

If you used an aftermarket clutch kit, for instance, with a non-self adjusting pressure plate, sprung clutch and light weight flywheel, the 'special tool' is not as important when installing the pressure plate.

Review the informative thread below if you have a self adjusting PP. Sometimes during shipment the self adjusting PP can 'un-adjust' from its factory presets during shipment and cause problems 'down the road'.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...inside-860524/

Old 07-03-2019, 10:23 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by zeta
It would help to know the type of clutch kit / flywheel you installed. If it is an OEM equivalent, like the LUK kit, then it has a self-adjusting LUK pressure plate; therefore, '...the special tool to set the pressure...' is what the Helms recommends when installing the PP.

If you used an aftermarket clutch kit, for instance, with a non-self adjusting pressure plate, sprung clutch and light weight flywheel, the 'special tool' is not as important when installing the pressure plate.

Review the informative thread below if you have a self adjusting PP. Sometimes during shipment the self adjusting PP can 'un-adjust' from its factory presets during shipment and cause problems 'down the road'.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...inside-860524/

Thanks gor the info any suggestions on where to get the tool from
Old 07-03-2019, 10:26 AM
Latent car nut

I bought mine from Amazon for something like $115.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,392 Posts
Just an FYI. Before you go spending money on the 'special tool', watch the video below. This guy uses an improvised device to do his PP install. On the other hand, he does not provide any detail about the device, though, you can clearly observe him using it. There may be other info, there in the video, that can help you going forward.

Jdmdread (07-04-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 09:12 AM
5th Gear

UPDATE: so after some troubleshooting decided to take the transmission down to inspect what was the problem at hand with the transmission back out i found the throwout bearing had failed and will need to be replaced not sure what caused it to fail yet bet i will keep you guys posted
Old 08-08-2019, 09:00 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
UPDATE: so after some troubleshooting decided to take the transmission down to inspect what was the problem at hand with the transmission back out i found the throwout bearing had failed and will need to be replaced not sure what caused it to fail yet bet i will keep you guys posted
Quick dual question... is the throwout bearing the same as a clutch release bearing? I recently had my clutch replaced due to the recommendation of the mechanic that replaced my engine. The flywheel that was used was a dual mass flywheel,(not my choice), and the work order stated the clutch kit came with a release bearing. However, I’m getting a chirping noise that goes away when the clutch is engaged. Just need to know if the two bearings are the same or if I need to prepare for another repair.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 08-08-2019, 09:37 AM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by RysTL04
Quick dual question... is the throwout bearing the same as a clutch release bearing? I recently had my clutch replaced due to the recommendation of the mechanic that replaced my engine. The flywheel that was used was a dual mass flywheel,(not my choice), and the work order stated the clutch kit came with a release bearing. However, I’m getting a chirping noise that goes away when the clutch is engaged. Just need to know if the two bearings are the same or if I need to prepare for another repair.

A few comments:
  • The OEM flywheel for our cars is in fact a dual-mass flywheel.
  • Yes, the terms "throw-out bearing" and "clutch release bearing" are one and the same.
  • Last year when I changed out my clutch (and all associated assemblies), my throw-out bearing would chirp when the clutch pedal wasn't depressed. The chirping gradually waned over a period of a few weeks and a thousand miles or two. It is completely quiet now.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:58 AM
Advanced

A few comments:
  • Last year when I changed out my clutch (and all associated assemblies), my throw-out bearing would chirp when the clutch pedal wasn't depressed. The chirping gradually waned over a period of a few weeks and a thousand miles or two. It is completely quiet now.
thanks for the info! So do you feel like this is a play it by ear sound? I just feel like it was quiet within the first week or so after initial install then started to get louder as the days past. However, it only seems to be present after I’m driving longer then normal. It’s at the stealership rn for an oil change and CEL reading and I asked the mech to keep his ears open but not trying to pay a $170 diagnostic fee for them to pull the trans if the sound isn’t present.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:09 AM
Latent car nut

thanks for the info! So do you feel like this is a play it by ear sound? I just feel like it was quiet within the first week or so after initial install then started to get louder as the days past. However, it only seems to be present after I’m driving longer then normal. It’s at the stealership rn for an oil change and CEL reading and I asked the mech to keep his ears open but not trying to pay a $170 diagnostic fee for them to pull the trans if the sound isn’t present.
Yes exactly, I played it by ear and was prepared to need to go back in; I now have over 20,000 miles on the new clutch and all is quiet.
RysTL04 (08-08-2019)
Old 08-08-2019, 10:12 AM
Advanced

Yes exactly, I played it by ear and was prepared to need to go back in; I now have over 20,000 miles on the new clutch and all is quiet.
Appreciate the input horseshoez!

Hope the issue with JDMs bearing is resolved easily too
Old 08-08-2019, 11:21 AM
5th Gear

Yes they are the same
RysTL04 (08-08-2019)