2006 TL 6MT Mystery Clunk

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2021, 11:56 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2006 TL 6MT Mystery Clunk

Recently, my 6mt tl has been making a strange clunk when upshifting into gears. It isn't just the trans going into gear, its a heavier clunk, like its hitting something. I inspected the lower trans mounts and they seem to be in good shape, but the upper trans mount was cracked, so I replaced it. Still no difference. I'm thinking it's either low transmission fluid (im starting to hear more whining coming from the trans) or that the motor mounts are shot.

Does this seem like normal play?

Old 07-05-2021, 12:56 PM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I have the exact same car they look like even the same color I believe, I've been having a similar issue... I think I found my problem... I hope anyway... I'm waiting on the part to make it to me, but I was thinking I didn't see a whole lot of movement from your motor to be honest, you said you changed the trans mounts already?

The following users liked this post:
justnspace (07-05-2021)
Old 07-05-2021, 01:03 PM
Advanced

Can you feel the clunk in your feet or in the steering wheel maybe? I definitely had to change my front mount about 6 months ago I've had the car for about a year and a half... Have you ever added trans fluid? Before I started changing my trans fluid I added a bottle of Lucas to the existing trans fluid and it helped overall alot... I definitely recommend changing the trans oil with pennzoil gm synchromesh manual transmission fluid... It helps our cars alot, idk if this is the problem with your case though, is it possible to take a video going down the road to try and capture the clunk?

Last edited by Blakep93; 07-05-2021 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-05-2021, 01:19 PM
Cruisin'

Yea, I have been using GM synchromesh for awhile now. Previous owner also used gm synchromesh. I will try to capture it on video if I can. Its more of an audible clunk, I don't think I can really feel it through the steering wheel or pedals.
Old 07-05-2021, 02:26 PM
Advanced

I will take a video of the sound my car makes aswell to see if they are similar... Sorry I can't be of much more help right this second but I am curious if we have the same problem Im about to go for a drive now and try to get it on video
Old 07-08-2021, 12:05 PM
Cruisin'

Changed the trans fluid, came out super clean, zero metal flakes, so I think my trans is fine, definitely not the synchros. I recorded a video of the car changing gears on 4 jackstands, and there is an audible clunk into gear that seems abnormal. In the first 15 seconds, I go from first to fourth, then I basically just play around with the gears so see if I can get the clunk to happen. I believe it is clunking through those first 15 seconds.

I'm thinking it might be slave cylinder related? Like, maybe the slave is not fully bled and is allowing the clutch to stay slightly engaged enough to cause it to clunk? Or it really just could be the mounts are old, as I am not sure if they have ever been changed.
Old 07-09-2021, 02:20 AM
Advanced

From watching that's video brotha I believe your trans is fine. In my personal opinion the only sound is the sound of the trans changing gears it's completely normal... And normally bad mounts give vibrations like crazy. My problem is 75% fixed I changed the upper trans mount today. I'm able to launch the car now... But there is still something I'm feeling and my gut tells me I need to change the other trans mounts aswell most likely and double check every mount on the car. But my theory with your case is I think the clunk that you are hearing is the slight noise that's made when the transmission or axles to be more specific pick up the load from engine and start turning the wheels again as you are coming off the clutch.. I believe this is a normal noise. I can usually hear mine just a little when I listen hard enough paying close attention, and mine are a month old. It's not what I'd call a clunk foreal though... Neither is what I heard in your video, I had a petty fuckin nasty clunk that sounded like my trans or motor hitting my damn firewall.. that's what it felt like.. it was bad.. and slave cylinder in my opinion is not in this equation I wouldn't mess with it if I was you unless you were deleting the check valve. If you haven't heard of that mod look it up on this site. It's called check valve delete clutch slave cylinder. It's fucking well worth it. For someone like me anyway. Like I said this is all speculation and opinion but I think you're good.. hard to say without being able to feel it for myself.. my advice is check your CV axles for play by getting under the car with the wheels on the ground reach under there and grab ahold of it tight with your hand and really try to pull on it to see if it will move or has any slack... I'm pretty sure what you are hearing is in one way or another coming from your CV axles. I hope you get it resolved and this helps

Last edited by Blakep93; 07-09-2021 at 02:23 AM.
Old 07-23-2021, 10:52 PM
Cruisin'

Lol. Now that I think about it, I think you are 100% right. I have non oem axles that kinda suck, and there is slight play in them when I wiggle them around. So I think that when I'm changing gears the torque causes them to make some noise. I have also done the clutch slave cylinder delay valve delete, definitely worth it. Thanks again.
Old 07-24-2021, 05:10 AM
Advanced

Oh awesome, I'm glad to hear you were already hip to the check valve delete, in my opinion anyone that has a 6 speed should do it, if not they are definitely not gonna have as much fun or be as fast. I can remember right after I got the car, I would launch in low gear and go to bang second gear and the clutch would slip so damn it could've filed a lawsuit against me... Lol or when I pulled second it just straight grinded/scratchhhh sound... it took me a lil bit to figure out why it was doing that, but untill I deleted the check valve I just had to slow my shifting down... But man I'm glad it looks like you have got it figured out... And im really glad I could actually help someone... Lots of people have helped me over time.... I finally took my car down th 1/8th mile track last night with the 75 shot of nitrous and I sprayed the launch in 1st gear too... Man it was fun.... I plan on posting up the vid to hear what everyone thinks about how the car is running. But yeah those aftermarket CV axles are kinda hit and miss, I had a pair that lasted roughly a year, but I used the warranty on em and got what seemed like a better pair, they've held up good so far... They're duralast from AutoZone I believe lol
Old 07-24-2021, 01:32 PM
Cruisin'

haha yeah it definitely made the car much more enjoyable to drive. I think because im lowered about an inch that these non oem ones just wear out a bit faster, as I am already starting to feel vibrations again. Might just go oem for peace of mind next time lol.