2006 Acura TL problems???????

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 12:02 PM
Mud Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Acura TL problems???????

Hi everyone. I am still in the market for a new car. Been lurking this forum for a while to learn about the TL. This looks like the car I want. I have noticed alot of consumer complaints on this site as well as on many other sites like Edmunds for example regarding the build quality. Seems like alot of people have been hearing a lot of rattles inside the cabin. Also I have been seeing some people talking about dash board fading out. OK, so here is my question. Does any one have any inside info about the 2006 model? Going on to the 3rd year production for the 3g TL, has Acura fixed all these interior probelms for 06? I know it is way to early to tell, but anyone have any inside info on this subject? New materials used etc?

Thanks, BEN
Old 11-27-2005, 12:13 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

No matter where you go, you will see 10 times more complaints than good stories. I guarantee you TL has less problem than other average cars on road today. They probably did little changes in 2006 mode year. Just like what they did in 05 such as changing seat belt mount.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:21 PM
Mud Man

Originally Posted by Actuary
No matter where you go, you will see 10 times more complaints than good stories. I guarantee you TL has less problem than other average cars on road today. They probably did little changes in 2006 mode year. Just like what they did in 05 such as changing seat belt mount.

I realize that about the complaints, but im just a little nervous about this purchase as this has happened to me before. Before I bought my Nissan 350Z, I went on all the boards, and saw lots of complaining about a front tire feathering issue and tire roar. I told my self what you just said, "its just the complainers that we are hearing about". Well, low and behold the one major thing my Z has that I cant get over is the tire issue some people were complaining about. The rattles thing just scares me. I know for a fact if I get a TL and I start hearing rattles every where, I am going to be forced to lose the TL and take a financial hit that I cant afford to take. Thanks for your response though. BEN
Old 11-27-2005, 12:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Actuary
Acura is BARELY above the average for all makes.

Go check out the JDpower initial quality report.

As for the complaints, that is untrue. Go check out some other enthusiast forums and you dont get as many. I can honestly say that I have never seen a board with more complaints than this. However, I would not trade my TL aspec for any car in its class.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The car will probably suffer from a rattle or two that you can probably take care of yourself. If this is going to be a big concern, I suggest looking at the IS or GS as they are better known for not having rattles - and most of their service departments will fix the rattles. OTOH, the 05' TL improved over the 04' a lot with rattles. Personally I've had an 04' TSX, 05' TL and 05' RL and my TSX had one rattle which could never be resolved. The TL had a couple rattles and with a little effort I dampened both of them so they were no longer existant. Now, the RL has a couple in the dash which I don't bother me yet, but when they do I will spend a couple hours figuring out where they are and fix them.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Moved to problems & fixes subforum.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:16 PM
10th Gear

Acura TL

I thought since I bought a '05 that would have been long enough down the road that they would have fixed all the issues wit the TL. I doubt the '06 TL is any different! If I had to do it all over again, I would do a little more research. When I did my research, all I heard pretty much was good about the Acura. I would now look at a Lexus IS 350 if I had to do it all over again. The Acura is a great car, don't get me wrong... but personally I have always gone insane by any types of sqeeks and rattles.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:42 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by bstansbu
I realize that about the complaints, but im just a little nervous about this purchase as this has happened to me before. Before I bought my Nissan 350Z, I went on all the boards, and saw lots of complaining about a front tire feathering issue and tire roar. I told my self what you just said, "its just the complainers that we are hearing about". Well, low and behold the one major thing my Z has that I cant get over is the tire issue some people were complaining about. The rattles thing just scares me. I know for a fact if I get a TL and I start hearing rattles every where, I am going to be forced to lose the TL and take a financial hit that I cant afford to take. Thanks for your response though. BEN
BIG TIP.....dont go looking for problems before they exist. I understand doing research to make a good decision.....but I dont think you are gonna find ANY car in this price range that does not have something to deal with. Is the dash gonna fade...yep......if you dont treat it.....are there gonna be some type of unexplainable noise....in your case...most likely you will find one as you are already looking for one before you even have the car! Good luck finding the car that suits your requirements in this price range? I would spend more money if flawlessness is a requirement and look at other models/brands.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:10 PM
Racer

I can understand your concern with regard to rattles, etc. before laying down a big wad of cash. I bought an 03 TL-S last year and I still have a couple of rattles that come and go and some days bother me more than others. I've tried to adopt a new way of looking at them and it's been somewhat successful for me. Previously I had a Nissan Maxima that was rattle free and ran forever. I really liked that car, but I like my TL more - even with the rattles. Basically I see these issues like rattles to be quirks that are individual to each car (yes, some of us have the same rattles, etc., but the nature of them varies) and in their own way gives each of our cars their distinct "personalities". I believe it is in part due to these "personalities" that so many of us are passionate about our TLs. I really liked the Maxima, but it didn't stir strong emotions in me the way the TL does. I know not everyone will embrace this attitude, I'm just saying you can choose to look things this way. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:16 PM
Instructor

For people searching for a car that has zero issues, you people are chasing the Holy Grail. Every car made will have a rattle or squeek someday.....i have never seen so many people complain about a little rattle here and there......i know some are worse than others, those need to be delt with, but some little noises are to be expected......the parts in cars are meant to be flexible and to give(from climate changes, ect.) they will make some small noises!!!

I am a performance guy, i have a 450WHP rsx-s that will tear your head off when it comes to noises, rattle, creaks...ect. But when it was stock, it was perfect with no issues and no squeeks. I was the one who caused the rattles and squeeks over time, but i could care less, that car serves it's purpose.

My 05 6speed WDP TL w/navi is my daily driver and for my money and experience, i could not have purchased a better car. Either way, i have not heard a single rattle yet, other than one coming from the rear deck which there is a TSB on how to fix that.

It's like the people that you see on here complain about torque steer!!! LMAO, i have never in my life.......people that bought a 6speed, you bought a performance sedan and honda was smart enough to give you a LSD(limited Slip Differential), some people don't really know what this is, but for us performance people, we know this is essenstial for performance especially in a FWD set-up. Honda was trying to give the real performance minded people something to brag about, and some of you gave them grief for it.......blows my mind every time i read about it.

<steps off soapbox>

CJ
Old 11-27-2005, 11:04 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

I have mid build 05 and I am rattle free - I have subwoofer rattle but that's not always present and is fixable. No driveline vibration, No whining noise, No flatspotting, None
Old 11-28-2005, 07:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Our 2005 6mt has been flawless so far. I dont consider the typical problems people complain about here as problems, not after owning a VW passat. The passat had REAL problems, as in the car wont run, parts breaking and wearing out in 27,000 miles, alarms, etc.

Rattles can be annoying, but are usualy easy to fix, and at least you can count on the car getting you where you are going. We dont have any rattles yet, which surprises me as the TL rides on the stiff sporty side.

If you have to have the most trouble free car, even if you dont like the car so much, you are stuck with the toyota/lexus brands.
I dont like any of their cars, but they have a reputation of trouble free operation. The toyota avalon (new design) would be one to consider, its not sporty, but if you can stay awake, its a very smooth quiet reliable ride, and has some nice additional features the TL does not offer. It does not look sharp like the TL, nor go around corners as well, and does not come with a manual transmission.

I will always put up with SOME problems to drive a car I really like, but the passat was way over the top of what I would put up with, the Jaguar was quite good, so far, the TL has been trouble free.

Brett
Old 11-28-2005, 08:45 AM
Mud Man

Originally Posted by Brettg
Our 2005 6mt has been flawless so far. I dont consider the typical problems people complain about here as problems, not after owning a VW passat. The passat had REAL problems, as in the car wont run, parts breaking and wearing out in 27,000 miles, alarms, etc.

Rattles can be annoying, but are usualy easy to fix, and at least you can count on the car getting you where you are going. We dont have any rattles yet, which surprises me as the TL rides on the stiff sporty side.

If you have to have the most trouble free car, even if you dont like the car so much, you are stuck with the toyota/lexus brands.
I dont like any of their cars, but they have a reputation of trouble free operation. The toyota avalon (new design) would be one to consider, its not sporty, but if you can stay awake, its a very smooth quiet reliable ride, and has some nice additional features the TL does not offer. It does not look sharp like the TL, nor go around corners as well, and does not come with a manual transmission.

I will always put up with SOME problems to drive a car I really like, but the passat was way over the top of what I would put up with, the Jaguar was quite good, so far, the TL has been trouble free.

Brett
Thanks Brett for your view/ I totally agree with you on the Avalon. that was my other choice besides the TL. My family has owned 5 of them but the new one is way better than the other Generation. 280+hp better suspension, reclining rear seats, laser cruise control. I just dont see me driving the Avalon. Not anywhere near as tight in the corners as the TL and well, just look at it. Have you ever seen anyone besides a 60+ year old lady behind the wheel? Nice car though for 29k-36k$. My other car I was looking at was the Volvo S60 R. 300hp AWD. Just a little scared of some of the electrical issues I have heard about with Volvo. I could be wrong though. Anyways. Cheers. BEN
Old 11-28-2005, 12:44 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Sorry to hear about your 350Z issue(s) - great looking car. Buddy of mine at work had same issues and eventually Nissan bought the car back - lemon law I guess. Something about the tires wearing unevenly and it could not be adjusted etc. I think he went through 5 or 6 sets of tires on car before he finally unloaded it. Now he drives the Infinnity G30.

Regarding the TL - I bought mine in March 2004 and after hearing all the bad things on here about first year builds I laid in bed awake at night kicking myself and all bummed out that I bought too soon. But now with the 2005 I hear some of the same problems. Some cars get all of the found problems, some get none of these issues and the rest fit in between somewhere. I agree with all others - every car will have some issue - it is most likely a case of what bothers the driver. Some people might be more in tune with engine noise, others cabin noise, paint finish, tire and fluid breakdown. Mine has been great to me. Sure it has been in for some minor things and other things I fix myself. I have not really been exposed to too many permanent rattles - most seem to be temperature related and come and go. It is a GREAT car and for the money you cannot go wrong unless you are unfortunate and get one of the lemons that exist out there for every single car model out there. It frustrates me when I hear the SAME problem existing from year to year - that is unacceptable - there should be no falling headliners in 2005 or 2006 - but I won't be surprised if there are a few. It is a really GREAT car for the $$. I would buy another one - no doubt about it.

Thanks Brett for your view/ I totally agree with you on the Avalon. that was my other choice besides the TL. My family has owned 5 of them but the new one is way better than the other Generation. 280+hp better suspension, reclining rear seats, laser cruise control. I just dont see me driving the Avalon. Not anywhere near as tight in the corners as the TL and well, just look at it. Have you ever seen anyone besides a 60+ year old lady behind the wheel? Nice car though for 29k-36k$. My other car I was looking at was the Volvo S60 R. 300hp AWD. Just a little scared of some of the electrical issues I have heard about with Volvo. I could be wrong though. Anyways. Cheers. BEN
Old 11-28-2005, 04:19 PM
Burning Brakes

The avalon seems to be a great car, but only if you are not interested in having fun behind the wheel. Fun can be in a distintive car like the Jaguar, or a sporty car like the TL, or the German feel and well thought out features of the VW/audi cars,
or even the economy of something like the la cross (they are cheap but a lot of car for the money), but I can not see having much fun in the avalon except on cross country trips or something. A good car for people who put a LOT of miles on a car I bet.
The wife and I like the Volvo S80, and maybe even the S60, although its small, but volvo is not rated highly for its reliability, and they are quite expensive. On my test drive of the s80, I found it harsh riding and very noisy, but there may have been something wrong as people tell me the cars are not that way. Maybe the dealer did not prep it... and what is up with 5 cylinder engines anyway???
They also have turbo's which I wont do anymore, superchargers are ok, but turbo's are out for me.

Brett
Old 11-29-2005, 07:09 PM
Instructor

Bstansbu -

As others have said, you're gonna be taking chances about rattles. My '04 has the following rattle problems at 35K:

1. (The worst one) The plastic doors that cover the cubbies under the stereo rattle like crazy. There is a thread in here somewhere about curing that using little rubber pads behind the doors. You could probably also use felt. I haven't because I'm lazy and I usually don't hear them over the music!! If I do hear them, I push on the top edge where the hinge is and it clears up.

2. The headrest on passenger side used to rattle. Fixed this by dropping it by one notch. I had it all the way up, like on the driver side, b/c that was the most comfortable position for me.

3. Sometimes I could swear the plastic housing for the shift markings rattles, but again usually drowned out by the music.

Oh yeah, the driveline vibration! That's annoying and I totally have it. Always did. But I hear that got better in 05/06.

There are really no other rattles in my car, except for loose stuff in the various door pockets. But others it seems have rattles everywhere! So who knows...

You might try driving a few used ones, if you find them on the lots. '04s and '05s. Compare any rattle noises with the mileage on the car. This may give you a picture of how well several different cars have aged.

I'd have to say that I'd not trade mine in for anything until (a) it's paid for or (b) some other car can give me the features and styling at a comparable price.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:55 PM
Burning Brakes

A lot of cars out there have squeaks and rattles. Some are worse than others. My uncle's 99 MB S500 had the same if not more squeaks and rattles than my 03 TL-S. If you've driven a Corvette and start noticing all the rattles in that car, it would drive you nuts. Interior rattles could be one of many things. Poor parts fitting or badly engineered parts, lack of sound insulation or damping to name a few.
I know for a fact that Acura makes attempts to rectify previous owner's gripes since I find parts modified or improvised obviously to cut down on the NVH inside the car. I can say that no car is ever perfect on squeaks and rattles.
The more the model of the car uses "hard" parts inside (plastic and metal) and add to that the varying temperature that the car is exposed to, the more prone it is to vibrations and interior noises. I'd say if you care well enough for the car, then you would find ways and improvise to hush these noises down. Just my
Old 12-19-2005, 09:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Well, its winter and cold, and our 2005 has about 8000 miles on it, and I still do not have any rattles, or other problems...

I am very happy about the car as far as how its built, there are some luxury features I would have liked, but for what we got, its been great so far.

Brett
Old 12-21-2005, 06:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Hi everyone. I am still in the market for a new car. Been lurking this forum for a while to learn about the TL. This looks like the car I want. I have noticed alot of consumer complaints on this site as well as on many other sites like Edmunds for example regarding the build quality. Seems like alot of people have been hearing a lot of rattles inside the cabin. Also I have been seeing some people talking about dash board fading out. OK, so here is my question. Does any one have any inside info about the 2006 model? Going on to the 3rd year production for the 3g TL, has Acura fixed all these interior probelms for 06? I know it is way to early to tell, but anyone have any inside info on this subject? New materials used etc?

Thanks, BEN
The fading dash is not fixed and according to ACS is "normal" and according to the lead tech at my Acura dealer he says they are all fading, just a matter of time as to when. My 04 has bad fade and tons of squeaks and rattles. I know there is a TSB for some of the back deck and 3rd brake light noise, but my dash is squeaking as well.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:45 PM
"Joe Cool"

Red face

IMHO if you are Ultra sensitive to rattles, then you better not buy a car.

Eventually all cars have issues. I have owned Toyotas, Nissans and Hondas and a Chevy. All have had an issue of one type or another.

The question here is do you prefer a rattle free car at the cost of sportyness.

My TL is an 04, I have no rattles (that I know of) some one else may get in the car and find one. (or not) Who cares, the car drives like a dream.
It is a good blend of power, handling and luxury.

Besides if alot of us took the low profile tires off of our cars I bet it would make a world of difference in the ride.

But for that we might as well have bought the AVALON.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:48 PM
"Joe Cool"

Originally Posted by KeithL
The fading dash is not fixed and according to ACS is "normal" and according to the lead tech at my Acura dealer he says they are all fading, just a matter of time as to when. My 04 has bad fade and tons of squeaks and rattles. I know there is a TSB for some of the back deck and 3rd brake light noise, but my dash is squeaking as well.

Damn, your in bad shape.

Here is a fix for the dash Fade:

Park your car in the garage!
If you don't have one then put a Sun Shade on your car when park out in the sun!

Maybe that will work.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:32 PM
5th Gear

So Ben have you come to a decision?

I just bought an 06 nbp with navi and have fallen in love

interested to see how it worked out!
-jats
Old 12-31-2005, 08:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by 1sweetTL
Damn, your in bad shape.

Here is a fix for the dash Fade:

Park your car in the garage!
If you don't have one then put a Sun Shade on your car when park out in the sun!

Maybe that will work.
My car lives n the garage and when not being driven has a sun shade in the window. My dash gets very little sun, although the strong sun here during the summers in GA can be bad, not as bad as FL or the SW. The tech at my dealer has said they are all fading, just a matter of time. The SM did say thet they are having good success with the treatment, but it usually takes 2 treatments to fix it. He is being told it is a reaction between the chemicals in the dash and leather.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:46 PM
Mud Man

Originally Posted by jats
So Ben have you come to a decision?

I just bought an 06 nbp with navi and have fallen in love

interested to see how it worked out!
-jats
Yes, Finally. I came home yesterday with an 06 Black on Black, 6 speed Navi. It had the spoiler on it and I told the dealer I didnt want it, so they quickly changed out the entire deck lid with another 06 black that was on the same truck. Thats a cool dealer. I love it so far. The nav is so fun Im scared Im not watching the road as much as I need to. Even with the voice recog I still like to mess with the screen. Its taking me some time to get the hang of the transmision. Ive owned maxima 5 speed, 4 speed truck, Autos, 6m Nissan 350Z, and this one is way different. Ive been busy Zainoing my car all day in the garage. I almost got the 06 GTO, haha I drove it and it was fun but im so glad I got the TL now. What a nice car. BEN