2005 TL - Shaking/Rattle @ low rpms

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 12:11 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 TL - Shaking/Rattle @ low rpms

Sorry in advance couldn't find any solution under search all found was higher gear higher rpm issue

I'm in second gear at 2500+ rpms an cars running fine

Still in second gear and fall to 2000 rpms and front starts to shake/rattle

I either need to give it gas to up the rpms or break to reduce and fall back to 1st gear

I've read it could be the mount, if so which? (At higher speed/rpms)

All help would be appreciated. Thank you
Old 01-05-2015, 08:46 AM
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 85 Posts
Does it run smooth at idle?

If you slowly rev the engine out of gear, does it rev freely and smooth?
Old 01-06-2015, 09:51 AM
7th Gear

At idle it runs smooth when it's cold start it has a ticking noise which goes away after warm

If I place it in drive and advance slow thru the gears going to second gear I get the shutter I usually apply more gas to get it out of it.

If I release the gas it also stops. But if I'm in that 2k rpms range and reapply gas shaking starts again

Every other gear change is smooth. Well what I would consider smooth.

I have aftermarket 20" rims and koni shocks everything else is oem this issue was present before the koni shock installation purchased car with rims on it
Old 01-06-2015, 09:59 AM
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 85 Posts
It's too hard to tell over the internet. It could be the wheels/tires, but that should be speed dependent and not RPM dependent. It could be an engine mount, but that should show up in every gear to some extent. The engine loading is going to change as the gears change, but you should notice it in most gears at some point if you feather the throttle through the range in different gears. A quick visual inspection should give you some indication of the condition of the engine and transmission mounts. Or it could be some internal problem with the transmission.

I would take a peek at the mounts and if they're not cracked bad I would just leave it.
The following users liked this post:
KnuxProd (01-06-2015)
Old 01-06-2015, 10:16 AM
7th Gear

I'll look into the mounts. Just need to find a diagram of the locations.

I was going to perform the motor mount test where e brake is engaged and placed in drive

I've had car since it had 45k miles now it has 122k

Only issue with transmission I've had was leaking but that was fixed by changing out the seals on the cv joints (if I'm not confusing the name) issue was present before that so irrelevant (:
Old 01-06-2015, 11:00 AM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
Originally Posted by KnuxProd
I'll look into the mounts. Just need to find a diagram of the locations.

I was going to perform the motor mount test where e brake is engaged and placed in drive

I've had car since it had 45k miles now it has 122k

Only issue with transmission I've had was leaking but that was fixed by changing out the seals on the cv joints (if I'm not confusing the name) issue was present before that so irrelevant (:
I would check motor and transmission mounts. Put the car in park, rev it moderately quickly (please let it warm a bit first!) and if you hear a clunk sound then you know it's trashing around. You can also have someone check under the hood while doing this to see if excessive movement is happening.

If your mounts are original I'm not surprised they might be gone at 122K.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:46 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, mounts are awful in 05 TL's. I freaked out when my Driver's side mount went bad - as it went bad fast. My whole car would shake when I put it in Reverse. It sounded like a motor boat in idle.

I have a feeling that this mount goes bad first in our TL's. Check the mount next to the Power Steering reservoir...it might even have some fluorescent pink marking on it, which I believe is from the factory.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:51 PM
7th Gear

Thanks for all your response

The passenger side has cracks around the bolt area. Front haven't inspected yet.

Acura oem part website is down does nooner have the diagrams of all mounts (engine /transmission) and part numbers
Old 01-07-2015, 08:11 AM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
Originally Posted by KnuxProd
Thanks for all your response

The passenger side has cracks around the bolt area. Front haven't inspected yet.

Acura oem part website is down does nooner have the diagrams of all mounts (engine /transmission) and part numbers
Acura OEM Parts seems to be up here at this time

Acura Parts @ AcuraOEMparts.com - Genuine Acura OEM Parts from Delray Acura