2005 TL chirping noise from engine...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 06:02 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy 2005 TL chirping noise from engine...

I have this annoying chirping sound coming from the front of the engine. I suspect it is the timing belt tensioner but I'm not sure. The dealer already replaced the serpentine belt tensioner thinking it was the bearing...no dice.

It occurs only between idle and 1,600 rpm. You can really hear it when the sound bounces off a wall or another car. At the drive-up ATM it's embarrassing.

Anybody else experience this? I also had the dealer check the axle shaft heat shield and cats.

The car has 20k on it and so far the TL has been in the shop for various items that you do not expect from a $35,000 car.

A-Train
Old 10-16-2007, 10:27 PM
Racer

Talking Fixed!

This was my original post I made. Nobody replied to this post.

If this is your problem...here is the fix. Had it done tonight (10/16/2007) at my Acura dealer under warranty.

14550-RCA-A01......TIMING BELT IDLER
14510-RCA-A01...... ADJUSTER
19200-RDM-A02..... WATER PUMP
38920-RCA-A03...... BELT COMPRESSOR
14400-RCA-A01...... TIMING BELT
0L999-9011A...........ENGINE COOLANT TYPE-2
14520-RCA-A01.......TENSIONER
53701-SDA-A01.......TANK

The timing belt tensioner and idler pulleys were damaged on my engine. I got to see them after they pulled the parts. The seal was ruptured on the hydraulic tensioner. The idler pulley was scored and discolored and the bearing wasn't spinning freely.

The rest of the parts were replaced because they were already inside the front of the engine. I believe the water pump always gets replaced when they do the timing belt.

BTW the dealer is NOT surprised and says this is very common on the 3.2L engines.

So far the noise is gone.

A-Train
The following 2 users liked this post by Atrain:
johnny3 (04-20-2013), perpetua13 (06-10-2013)
Old 10-17-2007, 08:50 PM
Cruising in my

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Was the sound coming from around the passenger side of the car... kinda around the wheel well area... I've been noticing a funny/odd sound coming from there lately and its really bugging me and I don't know what it is.

Was this covered under your warranty?
Old 10-18-2007, 10:57 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eh? spec
Was the sound coming from around the passenger side of the car... kinda around the wheel well area... I've been noticing a funny/odd sound coming from there lately and its really bugging me and I don't know what it is.

Was this covered under your warranty?

I have an 05 TL and I have this exact same problem. It only does it when the car is cold. Once the car warms up it doesn't do it anymore. I took it to the dealership and they took all the belts off lubed them and then retorqued all of the pullies. It still makes the noise and I am frustrated.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:22 PM
Cruisin'

SOMEONE IS being cheap putting in lower grade gas.......
Old 10-19-2007, 07:34 AM
Cruising in my

I've never used anything less than 92 but my engine noise only happens when the engine has been running and is warm. Of well, I'll keep an ear on it every now and then to see if it gets worse. If so, I'll take it in.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:36 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by edso36
SOMEONE IS being cheap putting in lower grade gas.......
The only gas that has ever been in my car is 93 octane.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:25 PM
Racer

Lightbulb Yes it was under warranty...

eh? spec,

My 2005 TL has 23,000 miles on it. The dealer did all the work under the bumper to bumper warranty.

The sound came from the front RIGHT (passenger) side of the vehicle which is the front end of the engine. The sound was almost chirping like, kind of like crickets but at a different pitch.

You can ONLY hear the sound between idle and 1,600 rpm. After that road noise and wind noise would overcome the sound and cancel it. The best way to test for it, is to do the following:

1) Park the car so that it has a wall on one side of it. A drive up ATM window will work fine. Put the car in Park or N.

2) Put both front windows down.

3) Just tap the accelerator pedal enough to take the engine off idle and hold it or fluctuate the rpm until you can hear the noise.

If you have the hissing/cricket/chirping sound then you can easily pin point the area it is coming from by holding a 3/8" hose to your ear and the other end to various points on the front of the timing cover. BE CAREFUL AROUND THE SERPENTINE BELT DRIVE!

Don't laugh, we call it a "hose-a-scope" and it works.

It's been 5 days and I haven't heard the noise.

edso36,

No, this is not ping or knock. I know exactly what they sound like...believe me. I use only 93 octane Exxon in the TL and I use it in the supercharged Bird as well.

This sound always occurs when the drivetrain is not loaded.

A-Train
The following users liked this post:
perpetua13 (06-10-2013)
Old 10-22-2007, 10:33 PM
Cruising in my

Originally Posted by Atrain
eh? spec,

My 2005 TL has 23,000 miles on it. The dealer did all the work under the bumper to bumper warranty.

The sound came from the front RIGHT (passenger) side of the vehicle which is the front end of the engine. The sound was almost chirping like, kind of like crickets but at a different pitch.

You can ONLY hear the sound between idle and 1,600 rpm. After that road noise and wind noise would overcome the sound and cancel it. The best way to test for it, is to do the following:

1) Park the car so that it has a wall on one side of it. A drive up ATM window will work fine. Put the car in Park or N.

2) Put both front windows down.

3) Just tap the accelerator pedal enough to take the engine off idle and hold it or fluctuate the rpm until you can hear the noise.

If you have the hissing/cricket/chirping sound then you can easily pin point the area it is coming from by holding a 3/8" hose to your ear and the other end to various points on the front of the timing cover. BE CAREFUL AROUND THE SERPENTINE BELT DRIVE!

Don't laugh, we call it a "hose-a-scope" and it works.

It's been 5 days and I haven't heard the noise.

edso36,

No, this is not ping or knock. I know exactly what they sound like...believe me. I use only 93 octane Exxon in the TL and I use it in the supercharged Bird as well.

This sound always occurs when the drivetrain is not loaded.

A-Train
I have an appointment on Friday with the dealership. I'll post after.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:01 PM
Cruising in my

ATrain, when you brought yours to the dealer did they hear the chirp sound?

I had my car there for 2 hours today... the mechanic took it for 2 drives... the longest was 20 mins... (I noticed they wasted quite a bit of my fuel which I steamed about) He never noticed any weird noises or anything...

What do you recommend I do? Could there be nothing wrong? I only notice the sound when I've driven for a good distance and "I" can hear it clear as day...
Old 10-27-2007, 11:13 AM
Racer

Talking Yes they heard it...

Eh? Spec,

When I dropped it off the technician took me for the ride and we both heard it together. He knew exactly what it was when he heard it. I thought it was a heat shield around the intermediate shaft but he told me the sound is different.

When we got back to the dealer I have to drive the car through a bay door to get inside the service dept. I stopped just past the doors and we listened to the sound as it bounced off the walls. He put the A/C on to see if maybe it was the A/C clutch on the compressor. The A/C compressor did not change the sound or frequency of the sound.

After they did the work I got to see all the parts that came out of the car. They were trashed and believe me I do not beat the crap out of the car. That's why I have the T-Bird. They replaced the parts and they DID NOT look surprised that they failed, he even told me that it's worse on the '99-'03 TL. I'm guessing he meant it's harder to access the front timing cover.

I sent you a PM.

A-Train
Old 10-28-2007, 01:55 PM
Cruising in my

Thanks for the PM ATrain. When I see the tech at the next appointment I'll make sure I go for a ride with him.
Last time I had a recording of the sound on my cell phone which I played for him but he never said anything about it and he still couldn't hear anything coming from the car.

Thanks for your info again ATrain, I'll see if I can use it to help.
I'll keep you posted.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:40 AM
Cruising in my

Went back to the dealer yesterday and had the parts manager look at it. He put his ear to the engine and listened for a sec and knew right away. He said he's seen this happen on about 5 other cars from my dealership.
He's ordering a bunch of parts to fix the problem. I'm happy about that.
He mentioned the water pump so it looks like the same parts list as you ATrain. I'll post once the parts get installed.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:10 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
^^

IMHO, stuff like this, you've gotta do what Atrain did. Ride WITH the tech AND be able to reproduce the noise at will - be able to turn it "on" and turn it "off".

That way they can't do what they did to eh? spec on his first visit - Take it for a joy ride, only to report "We could not reproduce the problem".

Just ask/tell the Service Writer/Advisor that you want to ride with the tech on his inspection - how can they say no, it's your car isn't it? If the tch can't reproduce the sound, switch places.

eh? spec, glad your's is getting fixed.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:37 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by eh? spec
Went back to the dealer yesterday and had the parts manager look at it. He put his ear to the engine and listened for a sec and knew right away. He said he's seen this happen on about 5 other cars from my dealership.
He's ordering a bunch of parts to fix the problem. I'm happy about that.
He mentioned the water pump so it looks like the same parts list as you ATrain. I'll post once the parts get installed.

So what parts did they end up ordering for you? I have the same problem, and I would really like to get it fixed.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:00 PM
Cruising in my

the parts manager didn't really say.
When the parts get replaced it should say on my invoice so I'll let you know. I was sure loud last night. After driving 35 KM's I was siting in my garage so the sound reflects back to me but I could still hear it in the cabin with the windows up. Revving the engine up to ~1500rpm's makes the sound VERY noticeable. I you have to... show this to your dealership technicians.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:00 PM
Cruising in my

I just got home from the dealer, all the work was done and the car sounds great!

I'll try to copy whats on my invoice (it was all N/C and under warranty)

Install S/O parts due to noise in engine compartment
Cause: B07

113100 Replace water pump and gasket
1 19200-RDM-A02 Pump comp, water
110199 Replaced timing belt, tensioner and idler pulley
1 14400-RCA-A01 Belt, timing 197YU
1 14550-RCA-A01 Timing belt idler
1 14510-RCA-A01 Adj comp, timing B
1 14530-P13-000 Collar auto adj.
1 14520-RCA-A01 Tensioner comp. T/

looks like it says 2.8 hours for the water pump and 2.5h for all the timing belt stuff

I have a 2006 TL 6spd if any of you are wondering. 28,000KM's
Old 01-16-2008, 09:54 AM
Racer

Thankyou for the list!
Old 01-16-2008, 01:23 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
EGR valve possibly.......I had a chirping on mine when id let it sit for 2 days and start it and rev slightly it would happen. then go away as soon as the warm up occured....went in front of acura left the car there for a day went in so the tech from acura doesnt think im crazy and started it dead cold to show him the noise....warranty...YUPPPP....oh and it was the egr i thought it was the belts n tensioners myself.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:52 AM
Racer

Fixed

I would like to thank Atrain for posting this thread......And eh? spec for helping me with some questions via PM....THANKS GUYS

I started noticing the same noise Atrain described one day when I was on the phone and stopped at a light at 11PM with dead silence around the area I heard chirping.

Took it to the dealer and the service advisor was very surprised that I knew where the noise was coming from and the possible parts that could be causing it, and they also told me they have been getting this type of service ALLOT lately.

ALL parts were replaced under warranty:

14400-RCA-A01 -----Belt, Timing
14520-RCA-A01 -----Tensioner
13621-RCA-A11 -----Pulley

One of the many reasons I enjoy this forum so much, people are helpful and if you have a question or a problem, odds are that some one on this forum has already experienced it and had it fix.
So guys Keep an ear out for this type of noise!

FYI......I have a '06 TL with 21k miles
Old 02-09-2008, 10:20 AM
Racer

No problem...glad it could help.

A-Train
Old 02-13-2008, 10:11 AM
5th Gear

Chirping Engine Noise

Thx to all for the recent posts. I have a 2006 TL (6 speed) and have had the car back to the dealer twice with the chirping noise coming from the right side of the engine. My noise only occurs when the engine is warmed up and again only at idle. The dealer has replaced some pulleys and tensioners, however, has not done all the parts that ATrain had listed. The noise is still there and the dealer has told me he will check with his regional manager. I intend to show these posts to him.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:08 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alright. I'm adding my testimonial to this thread I know I'm bringing back the dead but this is a very helpful thread as many people have opened several others (including myself):

Below are my invoice notes.

110170 Timing Belt AND/ OR TENSIONER, ADJUSTER,
IDLER PULLERY AND/ OR DRIVE PULLEY AND/ OR
BALANCER BELT - REPLACE.

1 14520-RCA-A01 TENSIONER
1 14400-RCA-A01 BELT, TIMING
1 15100-RGL-A01 PUMP ASSY., OIL
1 OL999-9011A COOLANT (TYPE-2)

110170K TO REPLACE OR RESEAL WATER PUMP ADD.

111150 OIL PUMP - REPLACE.
8000 WAP
111150 OIL PUMP - REPLACE.
7000 WAP
111099 DIAGNOSE TICKING NOISE FROM ENGINE AREA
8000 WAP

NOTES: Verified ticking noise behind T-Belt cover - removed T-Belt covers and ran vehicle with no covers on it - heard noise coming from what seems to be a loose T-Belt slapping around - replaced T-Belt/Tensioner and Pulley - And water pump - Re-checked noise is now better but still can hear another noise coming from oil pump area. removed oil pump and replaced with new oil pump. All ok at this time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As many have had similar fixes I have to say I am greatly pleased with how this has silenced that sound. I'm a little worried because the sound is VERY VERY faint but it doesn't sound like a can. When I bring the rpms of the engine to 1.5 - 2.5k it is non-existant. The drive of the car is even a lot smoother. Too be continued for me.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:07 AM
Intermediate

I just dropped my 05 off on friday for the two recent recalls and the bird in my engine, I took the tech for a ride this morning so he could hear it for himself. We will see what they say. I plan on using this thread if need be, Thanks everyone for the help, I wouldn't have known the cause if not for this board.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:29 PM
Intermediate

whoa!! i think i have the same problem..like when im driving.. i would hear this light chirping noise from the passenger side of the car..i guess i will have to go to the dealer to get that fix.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:33 AM
Banned

hey man i work at hendrick honda and i have a tl to i think i no what noise you are talking about their is a service bulliten on the axle heat shied if you have not got that done yet.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:34 AM
Intermediate

The dealership called and think that they know what the problem is, the service writer is bad at explaining it though. She said "we think its a bracket so we took it off and are going to drive it with it off to see if that fixes it." So I think what she means is the heat shield but we will see. If not I will have to point out the heat shield service bulletin and the timing belt tensioner bulletin. So I will let you all know....
Old 11-19-2008, 01:50 AM
2005 TL 5AT W/ NAVI

If you check out page 4 of october's service bulletin, you will see that this noise maybe normal. It maybe from the pcv valve that threads into the bracket holding the drive belt idler pulley. It flutters to help remove oil fumes from the crankcase. these drive belt pulleys that were returned are being found to have no troubles, at least that what the bulletin says.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:32 PM
Intermediate

What is the mileage on your car?
Old 11-22-2008, 10:57 PM
Intermediate

It was the axle heat shield they took care of it for now, hopefully there will be no problems that others have seen after the P/S recall fix.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:53 PM
6th Gear

I have a 05 w/ 65k on it... the noise has been goin on from 45 or so... the dealer swears they can't find it... I have another appointment on Dec. 3rd hopefully with this info I can get it fixed... I hope I can get them to grandfather my warranty in...
Old 01-27-2009, 09:25 PM
5th Gear

Hey guys, this thread is exactly the kinda stuff I was looking for and came in very handy when I had to go into the dealership to recreate the chirping sounds I've been having coming from the Timing-belt area of my 05 TL (52K). The dealer did the Timing Belt Shim bulletin (08-031) but without the water pump replacement (the dealer told me that's because I don't have a 07 TL). Well, today I got it back, and the chirping is still there. It is more dificult to recreate, but I can sometimes recreate it at slow speeds, like when I'm starting from stop (I can`t recreate it now in idle when I`m revving the engine to 1600 RPM but I was could always before).

QUESTIONS:
1.Could it also be the water pump that needs replacement too?
Here's what I had done under warranty, per the 08-031 bulletin:
04148 RCA-305 - KIT TPR SHIM AC
14520 RCA-A01 - TENSIONER COMP

2. Is this back-and-forth typical? I really was hoping they would fix it properly the first time. Like, Atrain, all those components you had replaced, is that what`s also in store for my TL ? Its tough for me to commute there and back. Also, I had a bit of a complaint with my dealer. Initially I just dropped it off overnight. Then, in the morning, they told me that they couldn`t hear the chirping sound. They said that me the customer had to come in and recreate it. It was only after I was able to recreate it did they start working on it (Even after I had my mechanic talk to their technician. What a collosal waste of time). The short and long of it is that I am just getting tired of this back and forth with the dealer, and I think I may have to go in again.

3. Can you give me anymore pointers. A train, I am indebted to you!

Thanks
Thunderball08
Old 02-05-2009, 07:31 AM
Racer

i had the same TSB work done and i also have the same issue. i THINK its coming from the crankshaft pulley. in the near future im going to upgrade to the UR pulley. hopefully this will solve the noise...
Old 02-15-2009, 09:27 AM
5th Gear

Thanks JimiThing.

Question, did you have your w/p replaced? I am wondering if that maybe the problem also with mine. Lately, I haven't been able to re create the sound. But every once and while I can definitely hear it. Am just wondering why they would do all that work and not replace the w/p? What does a faulty w/p sound like?

Thanks
Old 02-15-2009, 02:56 PM
Racer

no, my w/p was not replaced. it was only the TSB 08-031. im not sure what a faulty w/p sounds like. once i get my tax returns im going to buy the UR pulley, maybe that will eliminate the noise... *fingers crossed*
Old 02-15-2009, 03:00 PM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
Funny that I saw this thread because lately I have been having the same issue as well. :-/
Old 02-21-2009, 07:39 PM
1st Gear

I have a 05 tl with 28k on it with a chirping noise.. honda gave me a service bulletin on it... said its a flange or shim rubbing against the timing belt..im hoping they pay for it.. since it seems to be happening to alot of honda v6 motors should be a recall
Old 02-21-2009, 08:48 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
damn man u just got a 105K miles servicing done under warranty LOL
Old 02-22-2009, 05:31 AM
My Garage not

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
jeez i've had this ticking noise for a while now. i can only hear it when i'm doing a 3 point turn to park after coming home, so the car is warm, and going really slow after locking the steering wheel doing the 3 point turn.

i've had the water pump replaced under warranty but that didn't solve it. ??????? i might take it to honcura in glendale (while getting the ur pulley installed) and see what they say.

btw...my ticking noise still continues for a few seconds while in D after i come to a standstill and the engine is still idling. would that mean it's either the t-belt or accessories pulley belt hitting something? i'm guessing that that rules out the axles or bad cv joint.

Last edited by wasupdog; 02-22-2009 at 05:34 AM.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:46 PM
Pro

I'm taking my 2005 with 31k in for the 3RD time on tuesday for this problem. Last time they replaced a pulley, kept it over night just so it could get cold and then start it in the morning. Did'nt here it for a couple of days, thennnnnnnn its back! So all that being said i'm at >20% on my oil right now and after talking to the service mang. i'm getting a free oil change as well!!

Quick Reply: 2005 TL chirping noise from engine...