2005 TL 6 speed manual weird shifting ...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 02:47 PM
Vroooom!!!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bogdan TL
And no , I did not buy it from an Acura Dealer, so I don't think it qualifies for the TSB
You should still be able to get TSB work done at any Acura dealer regardless of where you purchased your vehicle. If the dealer is like the one I went to about my 3rd gear issue, they are going to want to change the fluid first before tearing into the tranny. They changed mine and my problem all but went away except for when it is really cold out. From there, I rarely have problems shifting into 3rd after I leave my neighborhood since the car is warm by then. Change the fluid and you will be happy with the result.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:36 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 6spdtl-s
completely false. Honda is known for making a very reliable manual tranny. The s2k tranny is one of the best trannys in the world. period. no 3rd gear issues there.
I like your dedication towards Acura products. But how many manuals have you driven in your lifetime ? And I mean different brands, and not exotic cars, day to day ones.
I drove Audi's, Opel's, Citroen's, WW's,Renaults , European Ford's, Mercedes Benz and MAN trucks and so on. 98% of the cars in Europe are manuals.
There's two things that I know about manuals (bought and sold a couple of them over the years) - The clutch is a wear item (if it "catches high" you are close to a replacement) and if there's grinding (very seldom i've come accross this issue) something is UP and the tranny is considered toast.
My TL, at 5 degrees F ( usual temp in Chicago for days ) - I need to use both my hands to change gears.

Warm temp - I'm OK- and with GM Synchromesh.

As far as I'm concerned - they screwed up
Old 02-07-2009, 02:56 PM
Nismo TL yo!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was unaware the 3rd gear issue carried into s2ks as well...mine shifts like a dream.

I've driven tons of manuals: mustangs, jettas, a4's, g35's, maxima, tl, s2k. The jetta and a4 were very fluid, but also sloppy. The tl and s2k have very good gate feel and theres no doubt that youre in gear or not (minus the 3rd gear issue). I take a step back on my arguement, but besides 3rd gear, what is there to complain about? Still think its a pretty good tranny.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 2005 TL started being less then smooth shifting into 3rd gear after about 3000 miles. Not every shift, or even most shifts, but it did not feel like the syncro was doing its job well.

I got the GM trans fluid and changed out the original stuff, and had no more problems.

I decided to experiment, and after about 6000 miles, drained the GM lube and put in a 50/50 mix of oem and GM fluids.
The GM fluid looked new, no metal in it, a good sign!

The trans works just as well with the 50/50 mix of fluids.

I am at about 30,000 miles I think, and still no problems.

I dont and never did care one hoot about what the dealer would do about the fluid change, because I would never go there for repair, and they could never prove the fluid was different.

I would MUCH rather pay for parts and fix something myself, then let any dealer get their hands on my car, even if it was only a week old.

Brett
Old 02-09-2009, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Brettg
My 2005 TL started being less then smooth shifting into 3rd gear after about 3000 miles. Not every shift, or even most shifts, but it did not feel like the syncro was doing its job well.

I got the GM trans fluid and changed out the original stuff, and had no more problems.

I decided to experiment, and after about 6000 miles, drained the GM lube and put in a 50/50 mix of oem and GM fluids.
The GM fluid looked new, no metal in it, a good sign!

The trans works just as well with the 50/50 mix of fluids.

I am at about 30,000 miles I think, and still no problems.

I dont and never did care one hoot about what the dealer would do about the fluid change, because I would never go there for repair, and they could never prove the fluid was different.

I would MUCH rather pay for parts and fix something myself, then let any dealer get their hands on my car, even if it was only a week old.

Brett
You're a smart and good man.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Well, besides past experiance, own a VW and you will feel the same way in short order.
The people at the local VW dealers were not up to high school dropout levels, I think they quit grade school.

They could not understand the most simple things, they all looked to be 18 years old, and they get paid to get cars out as fast as possible, not a real great combination....

For this they charge an arm and a leg....

No thanks.

I have not looked at the service department of the dealer where we got the car, I suspect its much better than VW is, but even so, they are there to make money off me, and do every job as fast as possible, which is not how I work.

I dont even like going to the tire places to get new tires, but dont have equipment to do that work!

Brett
Old 02-10-2009, 04:50 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Brettg
Well, besides past experiance, own a VW and you will feel the same way in short order.
The people at the local VW dealers were not up to high school dropout levels, I think they quit grade school.

They could not understand the most simple things, they all looked to be 18 years old, and they get paid to get cars out as fast as possible, not a real great combination....

For this they charge an arm and a leg....

No thanks.

I have not looked at the service department of the dealer where we got the car, I suspect its much better than VW is, but even so, they are there to make money off me, and do every job as fast as possible, which is not how I work.

I dont even like going to the tire places to get new tires, but dont have equipment to do that work!

Brett
When I replaced my OEM tires three years ago, I jacked my '04 TL up in my garage and put it on four jack stands, then removed the wheels and took them to the tire store for new tires. I didn't want them driving my car and parking it someplace where someone could bump my doors. Of course, then you worry about the wheels.

I have since found a shop I like better and may not do this with them because they did my wife's tires (an '05 automatic TL) and all was well. But I certainly know where you're coming from.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:31 AM
Burning Brakes

I have done that in the past, with the Jaguar, as they WOULD scratch up the rims with the air tool.

Any sort of quality work is very hard to find....

Brett
Old 03-18-2009, 03:33 PM
9th Gear

Just replace the transm fluid 4 days ago because of the same problems in 3rd gear with "General Motors Synchomesh Friction Modified" and the part number is 12377916 and SO FAR the problem is fixed...
Old 03-19-2009, 07:54 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
I own an '04 manual TL (original owner) with over 62K miles on it. It has never had the infamous 3rd problem or any other problem with the tranny. However, I have drained the tranny fluid twice and installed the GMSFM fluid both times. There is a TBS out on the 3G TL manual transmission for this problem which should span any sort of warranty. But believe me, I am also very reluctant to take my car to any dealer for any reason at all if I can help it.

The proper name for the GM fluid is "General Motors Synchomesh Friction Modified" and the part number is 12377916. It costs over $12 a bottle and you will need three bottles. A drain and refill takes 2.3 quarts (that's 2 quarts, 9.6 ounces or 10 ounces rounded). If you do the work yourself, and you should if possible, you will need two washers, a long tube funnel, a torque wrench (very important), some ramps and a floor jack (optional). I did a writeup on doing the work and trust me.. it is simple and a no mess job. You do NOT need to remove the battery as some people do. It is the easiest manual transmission drain and refill I have ever done.
I agree and have done the same with mine
Old 03-19-2009, 10:46 AM
Banned

where you guys buy the gm tranny fluid?
Old 03-19-2009, 12:00 PM
Registered Member

I got mine at a local Chevy dealer. Be sure to take the part number and check it. I had a parts guy tell me the first time I bought it that he didn't even know what it was or that they carried it. Of course he knew that it was a manual tranny fluid but he had always sold something else and not the GMSFM sstuff.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts
I have 06 TL that I got brand new. I have experienced the 3rd gear problem since day one. Initially, the dealer replaced the fluid with the improved one within my first 1k miles. That did not fix the problem.

I was dealing with the issue for over 30k miles mainly because, I was driving on highways and did not really got bothered by 3rd gear issue – usually the issue would pop on a weekend when I was driving on streets etc

In the last 6 months of so, my driving situation has changed and the 3rd gear problem became a real pain in the as... to deal with as my route to work changed from highway to streets route with many stop signs and traffic lights.

I did not go the GM syncro fluid route since my car is still under warranty.
Basically, what I did is I calmly discussed my issue with the service manager at my dealer and explain that I really need to get this issue fixed as the problem is very evident.

The service manage advised that in such situations, they still need to validate the problem, even though there is TSB because once they send old parts to Honda, Honda might do QA on returned parts and if there is nothing wrong with them, they might charge back to dealer which then they would charge me for repairs.

The deal I got is, that I had to agree to have a tech who lives far from the dealer to take my car back and forth to his home, so he could reproduce the problems during a normal driving condition – not some 3-5 minutes drive in the loop.

The end of my story is that after the 1st day of tech driving my car (about 50-60miles) they got enough evidence to perform TSB.

So far, I have driven the car for 2 days and I am happy to report the 3rd gear issue has not reappeared which normally would several times.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:59 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm also in IL. I've had 2 BMWs (e46 1999 323i & e46 2004 330i ZHP) both were 6sp manual transmission cars. When I got the 2006 TL MT, at about 7K I noticed the 3rd gear issue. All other gears were extremely smooth (smoother than the bimmer). At 9K I replaced the fluid with GM synchromesh friction modified. Never had a single issue since. Shifts are extermely smooth, even when the temp outside was -20F. All the driving I do is short distance (5 miles to the train station). Before the change of fluid I would get 3rd gear issue 2-3 times during the trip. After the change of fluid - hasn't happened yet (Two years later, I'm at 18K miles now). I also spoke to 2 dealers in NW suburbs, they confirmed that changing the fluid will not void the warranty.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:19 PM
Cruisin'

S2K has the same issue, only it more often affects 1st or 2rd. My '04 S2K had to be re-built. Now my '06 TL 6MT is having 3rd replaced. Never did know on the S2K whether it was a synchro or a bent shift fork. The S2K TSB said the issue was related to components being ground at the edge of tolerances...symptoms were similar to the TL - difficulty selecting the gear, occasional pop-outs.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:50 PM
Advanced

i had my 3rd gear worked on by the dealership before my warranty expired just this past week. The car was in the shop for a few days since there were a couple of other things i wanted done...

long story short, the problem is gone, the entire gear box shifts better, and it didnt cost me a dime.