2004 TL -Weird tranny issue - studders

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 01:17 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 TL -Weird tranny issue - studders

So, for the past 25k miles (Car has 70k miles now) I have noticed that from time to time my car has a shake in it when it shifts from 2nd to 3rd gear (Its an Automatic), but it doesn't happen all the time. I took it to the dealer last year and they kept the car for 3 days and said they could not feel the problem. Though, I feel it every day and when folks get in the car they always comment "what was that"? The car is stock, and the fluid levels are good. Its really frustrating as the dealer can't feel it, and I can't duplicate it 100% of the time. Its not tied to early mornings, or after I drive it a while. Its just random, and when it happens, it'll happen for a short while then clear up. It sort of feels as if something is slipping???

Anyone have any ideas or thoughts on what it could be??

Thanks for any ideas....
Old 08-18-2010, 02:36 PM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
Check your transmission fluid. It should be a nice pink/red color. If its brown and/or smells burnt, replace it. Car has 70K, you should replace it anyway.
You have several choices from the OEM Z1 to Redline Racing fluid. I used Redline D4 and have been very satisfied.
Also, read this thread on replacing the transmission gear switches: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/very-interesting-conversation-my-transmission-builder-tl-721508/
If your symptoms are intermittent, you may still be able to save it.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:16 PM
Intermediate

Fluid....??

I change my fluid every 50k, and I asked the dealer about that and they said my fluid looks good and pink in color. I do think its some sort of switching issue, so I will check out that thread. Thanks!
Old 08-18-2010, 03:44 PM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

Received 1,085 Likes on 810 Posts
3rd and 4th pressure switches maybe? There are various threads regarding these sensors.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:40 PM
Intermediate

yup, found it. thx
Old 08-18-2010, 05:08 PM
Area on my XM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I get this very occasional symptom between the same gears. The fluid is due for a change in about 5k miles, according to the owner's manual. I'll probably do the pressure sensors around the same time. We'll see if that does the trick. Otherwise, I hope it's the beginning of a quick end to the transmission so that I can apply the extended warranty to the repairs.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:15 AM
Instructor

I was having the "studder" problem and it was happening more and more frequently. I changed ATF and 3rd/4th sensors last week and no more problems. I have driven some 300 miles since the service and it shifts like a new car. It is a 04 TL with 58k miles. As others have said before me, it is highly recommended that you do this.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:33 AM
Advanced

This is happening to me right now and i have 82K. Its been going on for probably 10K miles so i will probably do the switches. But is it easy to do the 3X3? the dealer wants to charge about 70-90 dollars and if i can do it for 40 that would be awesome? What about the seal to the transmission, after the refill do they seal it up pretty good? Can i seal it up good by myself?
Old 08-21-2010, 02:48 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
This happens to me too. mostly when im going uphill at around 25-30 mph. other than that, i never notice it. I usually just accelerate a little or let off the gas. either way tends to fix it.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:56 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
50K is way too long on Z1.

Replacing Z1 with Z1 will not help much. It's shit fluid period.

There are so many threads on this. Replace with Redline racing fluid and replace the 3rd and 4th gear switches and you're good to go.

Time is critical. When it shudders you're putting a ton of wear and stress on the clutches. If it goes on long enough no fluid or switches are going to help.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:54 PM
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 371 Posts
hate to tell you but your tranny and torque converter will need to be replaced.
This is a known issue moving into the 04 tls. i had mine replaced through the dealer. they paid 90% through the goodwill program. This was a big problem in the 2g tl. You will need them to duplicate the problem in a test drive. i rode with them to point it out. The dealer is aware of this but will play dumb.
hope this helps
Old 08-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Italiano
This is a known issue moving into the 04 tls. i had mine replaced through the dealer. they paid 90% through the goodwill program. This was a big problem in the 2g tl. You will need them to duplicate the problem in a test drive. i rode with them to point it out. The dealer is aware of this but will play dumb.
hope this helps
It may need to be replaced but Acura will not diagnose or repair/replace sensors or trans parts. They just replace the whole unit. If it's shuddering, there's a very good chance the switces and a good fluid will fix it. Unfortunately, Acura's replacing transmissions over replacing switches has led people to believe that the trans will always need to be replaced anytime something goes wrong. They really dropped the ball several times.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:05 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Indy04TL
I was having the "studder" problem and it was happening more and more frequently. I changed ATF and 3rd/4th sensors last week and no more problems. I have driven some 300 miles since the service and it shifts like a new car. It is a 04 TL with 58k miles. As others have said before me, it is highly recommended that you do this.

This is good to know because I have been experiencing the same issues in my 3rd and 4th gear shift... I changed the fluid and the problem went away temporarily and now its back...

Im going to try this...
Old 08-24-2010, 05:10 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cativo
So, for the past 25k miles (Car has 70k miles now) I have noticed that from time to time my car has a shake in it when it shifts from 2nd to 3rd gear (Its an Automatic), but it doesn't happen all the time. I took it to the dealer last year and they kept the car for 3 days and said they could not feel the problem. Though, I feel it every day and when folks get in the car they always comment "what was that"? The car is stock, and the fluid levels are good. Its really frustrating as the dealer can't feel it, and I can't duplicate it 100% of the time. Its not tied to early mornings, or after I drive it a while. Its just random, and when it happens, it'll happen for a short while then clear up. It sort of feels as if something is slipping???

Anyone have any ideas or thoughts on what it could be??

Thanks for any ideas....
The way that I replicate this issue is with very light acceleration... when you get to your 2nd or 3rd gear feather the throttle, but try not to release the throttle completely because your car will just shift without the shuttering feeling

... My car will shutter like a mother and yours should to... Ive been having issues like this as well... Fluid change only helped for a few weeks... Ive been hearing about the sensors so I would say do that.... thats next for me! Good luck man!
Old 08-25-2010, 09:03 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Italiano
hope this helps

+1

Bought my 04TL new 9/04. It "shuddered" from the beginning. Took 3 trips to the dealer over 3 years until they felt it. New torque converter under warranty at 60K and it has never done it again
Old 08-25-2010, 09:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
please excuse my ignorance, but where are located the ATF tab and 3rd/4th sensors on a 04 TL? thanks.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:54 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by gvernet
please excuse my ignorance, but where are located the ATF tab and 3rd/4th sensors on a 04 TL? thanks.
Here ya go:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/110-diy-guide-replacing-3rd-4th-gear-pressure-switch-3g-tl-2004-2006-a-729149/

Im doing this over the weekend... also got the transmission filter as well... Im going to make sure this shutter goes away for good!
Old 08-27-2010, 01:59 PM
I'M GOING IN

Hey guys

Had the shudder occuring from third to fourth sometimes. Change the swtichs and the fluid with OEM Z1 worked for about three months and it slowly came back.

I just bought 9 quarts of Redline D4 see if this will help me with the problem. The shudders are pouring in on the 04,05 Tl's and some of the 06's.

I was in another forum and some people were having the same problem. We have to find a soulution to this problem and maybe get a Acura Tech to help us figure this out. Now is the time with every car producer calling in all the hidden recalls.

I HATE CARS Im about to do the 3x3 and I was wondering when I drain the 3 quarts and pour the new three do I drive the car for a mile or two or ten miles. I just want to get the crappy Z1 out of there as quick as possible. by the way you have done nothing but helped this forum so much with theses tranny problems THANKS ALOT man

I will keep you guys posted I have 92xxx and we will see what happens.

Last edited by hondadna4; 08-27-2010 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:30 PM
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 371 Posts
at first they said they would replace the torque converter,but i pushed for the whole unit.
that way no worries.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:02 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by hondadna4
Hey guys

Had the shudder occuring from third to fourth sometimes. Change the swtichs and the fluid with OEM Z1 worked for about three months and it slowly came back.

I just bought 9 quarts of Redline D4 see if this will help me with the problem. The shudders are pouring in on the 04,05 Tl's and some of the 06's.

I was in another forum and some people were having the same problem. We have to find a soulution to this problem and maybe get a Acura Tech to help us figure this out. Now is the time with every car producer calling in all the hidden recalls.

I HATE CARS Im about to do the 3x3 and I was wondering when I drain the 3 quarts and pour the new three do I drive the car for a mile or two or ten miles. I just want to get the crappy Z1 out of there as quick as possible. by the way you have done nothing but helped this forum so much with theses tranny problems THANKS ALOT man

I will keep you guys posted I have 92xxx and we will see what happens.
I talked with I hate cars about this as well.. I just replaced the Sensors and the tranny Filter over the weekend... I still have the issues...

I also did the Fluid change and it fixed the problem only temporarily, and now its slowly coming back... Im going to try the Redline Racing formula next and see if this helps...

Sensors and Filter did nothing for me! But at least they are new!
Old 11-26-2010, 06:56 PM
4th Gear

I am having this issue as well. Any other luck with replacing the torque converter? I have a private mechanic that my family has been dealing with for years (the only honest one around me, for that matter) and he thinks a torque converter change would do the trick.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:31 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ovrclock
I am having this issue as well. Any other luck with replacing the torque converter? I have a private mechanic that my family has been dealing with for years (the only honest one around me, for that matter) and he thinks a torque converter change would do the trick.
Racing fluid is way cheaper than a torque convertor. I have a feeling most of the torque convertor changes were due to bad diagnostics. Most dealers can't tell the difference in clutch shudder and tire vibration. Not saying your mechanic is as bad as some of the Acura techs but do the fluid first, it will probably cure the issue. Look at how many it has cured already.