2004 TL 6spd "ticking" in 1st and 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 03:59 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 TL 6spd "ticking" in 1st and 2nd

Hello. Hoping I can get some help here from the talented individuals on acurazine.....

I have an 04 TL 6pd just about to turn 70k. I have had the car for 4 yrs and never had any issues with it. A few months ago, I noticed a "ticking" noise when accelerating through 1st and 2nd. It pretty much goes with the engine noise, but it is very noticeable when radio/HVAC is off. I would say the tick increases with the revs of the engine. Also, I would say it always exists, however sometimes is much louder than other times. It also doesnt matter whether it is cold or hot, and I live in MN where we have had some serious temperature changes over the last 3 months.

I don't think I hear the noise in any other gears, maybe in 3rd, however it is extremely suttle if I do. Also, if I have it in neutral and give it gas, there is no tick whatsoever.

The problem is the car drives totally fine! When it initially started I thought I had some clutch shudder with it as well, however that went away (I may have just been paranoid or something) and now it is perfect, shifting is perfect, acceleration is perfect, etc. I had it into the dealer today for an A service and asked them to look at it (I however didnt schedule it with a tech, knowing they'd nail me for $115 just to drive it). The service rep said he would take it for a spin with the tech that does oil changes and let me know what they thought. They agreed it exists and should be looked at. Asking the tech what he thought he said he wasn't sure, but that it wasn't a "throw out bearing". He recommended I get it in to a real tech to determine the issue.

I really don't want to have to bring it in and have them charge me 115 to tell me that I need a new transmission or clutch or something, figured I would bounce it off you guys and see if anyone had any thoughts/suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
Matt
Old 01-04-2010, 04:25 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Could be you need a valve lash adjustment.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:51 PM
4th Gear

Valve lash adjustment - is this major? Do I need to get it done (is it bad to continue driving it)?
Old 01-05-2010, 07:26 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by matty2244
Valve lash adjustment - is this major? Do I need to get it done (is it bad to continue driving it)?
I wouldn't be valves (out of adjustment) because you said,

"Also, if I have it in neutral and give it gas, there is no tick whatsoever."

If it was needing a valve adjustment, you'd hear it when doing this. Is the noise timed or does it occur sporadically? In other words, is the ticking sound rhythmic? From your description, it seems the sound would appear when the clutch is out and you are accelerating in 1st and 2nd gear. Does the sound start as soon as you begin to release the clutch when starting off in 1st gear? If you were to drive normally at low speeds, say around 15 MPH, in 2nd gear, would you hear the sound - in other words, not accelerating?
Old 01-05-2010, 08:35 AM
4th Gear

Correct, no noise in neutral, which is what led me to believe it is in clutch/gears.

You are correct, only noise when clutch is out and accellerating in 1st and 2nd. I do not hear any ticking when I begin to release the clutch, but rather after it is all the way out....If I put it in first or second normally, and applied very little gas to hold the car at a constant speed (15mph) I would hear the tick the entire time - if I then applied more gas to get the rpms up, I would still hear the tick, however it does not increase in frequency with the engine revs, it remains the same rythym. Again, I hear nothing in 3-6 or reverse.

Service "A" was done yesterday and the technician said everything was fine visually with the car other than the tick. This thing is totally stock currently, however for the 6 months up here you can actually have rims, I do have 19"s on it.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:14 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by matty2244
Correct, no noise in neutral, which is what led me to believe it is in clutch/gears.

You are correct, only noise when clutch is out and accellerating in 1st and 2nd. I do not hear any ticking when I begin to release the clutch, but rather after it is all the way out....If I put it in first or second normally, and applied very little gas to hold the car at a constant speed (15mph) I would hear the tick the entire time - if I then applied more gas to get the rpms up, I would still hear the tick, however it does not increase in frequency with the engine revs, it remains the same rythym. Again, I hear nothing in 3-6 or reverse.

Service "A" was done yesterday and the technician said everything was fine visually with the car other than the tick. This thing is totally stock currently, however for the 6 months up here you can actually have rims, I do have 19"s on it.
This is very telling. If the frequency of the ticking is not increasing or decreasing with the change in engine speed, and thereby road speed, that would seem to rule out the engine, clutch assembly, and transmission. But it also raises the question of what this really is. This is strange.

Just for kicks, turn off you HVAC system and try it again.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:17 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry I didn't complete reading your first post I just got up to the "I would say the tick increases with the revs of the engine" and suspected valve lash.

If it's only when the car is in motion and it’s not consistent with engine speed, but road speed, but the consistancy of the sound remains the same rythm the faster you go thats strange. I would assume ball bearing click but the click/tap would most likely change with speed, thus being a wheel bearing or cv joint.

I know its cold outside but when you are driving around roll the window down when you are driving next to a barrier wall or something where the sound can reflect and see if you can still hear it on the outside. It could be the clicking sound is its loudest at low speeds but at higher speeds quiets, but still present. Or go in a parking garage and drive around at low speeds and try to pin point the sound externally.

Last edited by xmrgoodcatx; 01-05-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:07 PM
4th Gear

Update here, today when driving to work I was getting followed fairly closely by a car, which I didnt appreaciate it. I gave him the ol' "downshift hard" technique in an effort to get him off my butt as I would slow rapidly without him seeing any brakelights.

This noise was VERY prevalent when downshifting hard....when I say hard, think of putting it in first at about 30 and SLOWLY letting the clutch out. Once the clutch started engaging it got REAL loud. It did get him off my butt though. For the rest of the time driving to work I was playing around with it, noticed the noise when downshifting hard into 2nd, and 1st. Much louder in 1st however.

My normal driving technique is to downshift myself to a stop, but typically don't do it nearly this hard, which is why I havent noticed this before. THere has to be something wrong with my clutch or tranny?
Old 05-14-2020, 10:56 PM
1st Gear

Any update?

Hi, I know its 10 years later and you probably don't have the car anymore but I have the exact same problem and its driving me crazy, did you find out what it was??