2004 Acura TL Auto Trans. Check engine light P0741.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 07:17 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Acura TL Auto Trans. Check engine light P0741.

My TL has the check engine light p0741.
Ive been looking around and was wondering if changing the pressure switches, the transmission fluid filter, and the fluid its self would fix the problem.

The car shifts fine, and i have noticed that 2-3 second lag when shifting from Park to Drive, every once in a while.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:29 AM
Safety Car

Received 340 Likes on 278 Posts
P0741 is Torque Converter clutch Solenoid Stuck Off.

You can try replacing it and doing what you mentioned above, couldn't hurt. I'm sure someone who's had more experience with this will post.

Is the "D" on your gear selector flashing?
Old 05-27-2012, 12:10 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by A SiQ TL
P0741 is Torque Converter clutch Solenoid Stuck Off.

You can try replacing it and doing what you mentioned above, couldn't hurt. I'm sure someone who's had more experience with this will post.

Is the "D" on your gear selector flashing?
I checked this morning, its not flashing. What does that mean?

Is there a diy for changing the solenoid, or do i need a shop?
Old 09-17-2012, 01:11 PM
Intermediate

This is what is happening to me exactly, any input on the solenoid and actually changing it would really help
Old 10-09-2012, 06:37 PM
We Are Venom

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Did anyone figure this out. I just got this code, didn't notice anything weird but now im weary that we all have a shotty tranny. sorry for the pessimism but everything ive googled has led to rebuilding the transmission. I am going to do the 3x3 flush and next week the 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches. hopefully this will fix this and clean the solenoid. any correlation or am i gonna be beating a dead horse. thanks in advance.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:35 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
i got the same code and my mechanic came to a conclusion its the solenoid anyone know were its located or part number?
Old 11-13-2012, 12:14 AM
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Location of tccsolenoid

The torque converter Solenoid is located below the intake directly under the thermostat housing. It is the black connector not theo maroon it is the further back one. The hardest part is getting the 10 mm bolt off that holds the solenoid in. The way to test is to first drain the ATF and then pour it through a paint strainer the finer the better a small amount of flake is too be expected and fuzzy metal material like what comes off the ATF drain bolt. However if you see a fair about of metal bits your transmission is done probably.
If you didn't see a lot of contaminants then proceed to tet the solenoid.
1 leave the solenoid in place and use a multimeter to ohm it out 12-25 is normal range
2 if it ohms out ok the hook up leads to the positive and negative battery terminals and connect the positive side to he left pin (if looking at it from the front driver side corner o the car) and the negative to the right you should hear a solid click when you touch the negative i it sounds hollow or weak or no click at replace the solenoid (27 dollars)
Btw since your there you should test the solenoid nfront of it and also the solenoid pack ontop of the transmission. The 2 pack on op of the solenoid has tubes that can become clogged clean with carb cleaner and replace he main gasket. Also this would be a good time to change the exterior transmission filter. It is located just back from the battery towards the firewall the bottom bolt is hard to get off so if you hav a ratcheting wrench it will help.
You could also mod the system with a manga fine filter instead and not replace the factory one as when it becomes clogged it just goes into bypass anyway an an exterior manga fine filter is easier and better anyway.

I am going through all of this right now and am hoping that it is just the solenoid, but I know it may not be there are many fine DIY's on the modifications I hav mentioned. New redline fluid may let you get more time but if e transmission is gone it is going to go. If you do end up replacing the transmission make sure you change the 3rd & 4th pressure switches regularly like every 50k at the most. Reman Acura transmission are 2250 with a 3yr/36000 mik warranty doesn't hav to be put in by Acura. Also Atkins vege seems to have good pricing and a better warranty 3 yr unlimited mileage. Local shops from ATRA will do better price wise thn the dealership. But if you hav ha regularly maintained your ca with the dealership make sure you ask to see if acura of amercica will do a goodwill repair if of warranty sometimes they will cover 100% sometimes 50/50 be aware that th dealership will try and charge 3400 fo te transmission don't let them there is a 1200 core charge they should credit you back for bringing th cost to 2200 to 2250. Alo while they are in there make sure they change the motor and transmission mount they are dropping the subframe should be just he parts also if a t belt is due might as well have them do it hen since they are dropping it should only be slightly more labor and if the steering rack is leaking change it then too along with the compliance bushings in the lower control arm. Last bit of advice price your parts at oemacuraparts.com or acuraoemparts.com these are actual Acura parts you can reference against th quote your service advisor gave you and challenge their cost model as you could buy the parts direct from a Acura dealer for less. Anyway my rant has gone too long, luck too everyone experiencing transmission issues with their TL great car picky transmissions.
The following users liked this post:
sman234 (12-14-2013)
Old 11-13-2012, 12:16 AM
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
Manual location

The manual reference is 14-118 & 14-186-187 should have put it in my long winded post
Old 11-30-2012, 01:48 PM
3rd Gear

Well this code does not sound like its a good one to ever get.. My light popped on yesterday and got this code,P0741, 04 acura tl has 192k on it, I pulled the 2 solenoids and tested them with 12v to make sure they are working and they are. I changed the fluid a few months ago.Its still full. I drained some yesterday to see if i got any flakes. Its clean. No idea what to do next. I can change the trans myself but dont really have $1200 for a reman right now... Theres some hesitation when shifting. I reset the computer to shut off light and it stays off for about 50 miles then comes back on. I guess its time to drive it until it dies.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:40 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Soobz
My TL has the check engine light p0741.
Ive been looking around and was wondering if changing the pressure switches, the transmission fluid filter, and the fluid its self would fix the problem.

The car shifts fine, and i have noticed that 2-3 second lag when shifting from Park to Drive, every once in a while.
I know this is a long shot cause this is so old but did you ever get it fixed?