2 Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 04:03 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 Problems

I've had my 2006 TL for exactly 1 month now (1900mi). There are 2 things I've noticed...

1) Unusual / Weak Starts - At times, it sounds like its not going to start. I thought it was me... thinking maybe I wasn't holding the key long enough. You can hear the car trying to start, but doesn't sound the way a new car is suppose to sound. It doesn't seem to be weather related since its done it at 30F degrees and 70F degrees. It also doesn't seem to be consistant with a cold or warm start. Its probably done this about twice a week since I've had the car. On one instance, the car didn't start so I had to turn the key a second time.

2) Braking - When stopping, not even going fast, there has been twice where the car seems to want to go towards the right. I have this habit of letting go of the steering wheel if there is no one in front of me when coming to a stop. Its noticible the steering wheel tries turning to the right.

And no, I'm not driving around like a bat out of hell As a matter of fact, I've probably been driving this car like an old [wise] person, since I wanted to make sure the car broke-in correctly. And I have been using premium fuel with an octane of 93.

I haven't contacted the dealer, only because I'm not sure what they can do... since nothing is really broken, yet.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:37 PM
I'm Baaack!

1. May be a weak battery, there was a rash of bad batteries in '04 maybe it's starting up again, but dealer should be able to run a diagnostic.

2. If your sure it isn't the crowning on the road or tire pressure, I would have the dealer look at it. Check tire pressure in all four, take it to someplace relatively flat like a parking lot, if it still drops to the right when you brake it might be a faulty sensor, (That side is braking harder than the left)

Good Luck!
Old 04-12-2006, 09:37 PM
Sweet As Hell

There was a thread a while back concerning the weak start. It seems that the TL has a system in place that allows it to have a high ULEV rating. However, this system causes the car to seem to start roughly, but in essence, maintains a low amount of emmisions. This is just a summary, but if you search the forum, you should be able to find more detailed explanations.

As for number 2 on your list, I think it may be just subject to each individual. I dont notice it pulling any direction when braking, unless stopping on an extremely uneven surface.

Good luck finding out what the problems are and solving them quickly so you can fully enjoy your TL.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:58 PM
5mins2disney.com

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
My '06 has neither issue. It might idle roughly a little after startup but has never had an issue starting.

Also, no pull in the wheel whatsover.

The grounding kit and HV kit will certainly help out at start, but mine started fine before I added that.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:22 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Colt45TL
There was a thread a while back concerning the weak start. It seems that the TL has a system in place that allows it to have a high ULEV rating. However, this system causes the car to seem to start roughly, but in essence, maintains a low amount of emmisions. This is just a summary, but if you search the forum, you should be able to find more detailed explanations.
Yeah... I called the dealer today and explained. I was told this EXACT samething! (Thanks Colt45TL).

The lady I spoke to asked, "What kinda fuel you usin?" I was quick to say "Premium fuel only, octane 93, BP fuels." She then explained that BP uses more additives than anyone else, and that might still be using their "winter blend" of gasoline (I live in the midwest). She then went on and explained to me that the has a system to reduce emissions, and that is why it starts up the way it does.

The lady suggested that I try switching brands of fuel and see what happens. Or even ride it through with what I'm using now until BP switches their blend. But I have to buy BP fuel.... mom has lots of stock in them, friends I know work there, and I would like to work there someday soon
Old 04-13-2006, 12:09 AM
Sweet As Hell

Yea I remember when I first got my car it seemed like it had a weak starter or something. Then I just followed up on it and turns out the ULEV is why