15 Min LP LED swap turned into a nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 09:53 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
15 Min LP LED swap turned into a nightmare

So during the nice spring day yesterday I decided I would finally swap out my LP bulbs for LEDs since I've had them for about 8 months now!

The swap went fine, bulbs work good, everyone's happy... NOT

When I went to pop my trunk later on with my key fob to put my golf clubs in, nothing happened. Tried the dash button, nothing. Now I have an issue. Most of you are saying well just open the center console and reach through to the emergency release, right? Well..I have an aftermarket sound system with an amp board thats mounted to the rear seat in the trunk. It gives me about 1.5" of space between the top of the opening and where the amp board starts.

Hmm.. so try using a flashlight and a long stick to reach the handle and slide it over? I broke the fucking handle. Don't know what happened but it slid all the way over to the left and the plastic handle lever is just gone now. Almost like it disappeared into the trunk lining. Does anyone have any suggestions before I take out the back seat and dismantle my whole sound system to get into the trunk? I've tried searching and obviously I'm the only asshole that would have an issue like this, because thats just my luck with a 15 min bulb swap turning into a whole day project

Old 05-04-2011, 10:02 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Check your fuses (kick panels and underhood).

Not sure where the trunk release and/or LP lighting fuse is, but that's where I'd start.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:04 AM
Advanced

I can still hear the actuator working though when I use the FOB and dash switch. Just nothing happens. I think maybe the cord that releases the lock got messed up when I was changing the bulbs.. But I will check the fuses JIC
Old 05-04-2011, 11:20 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,014 Likes on 14,518 Posts
Wow...this does sound horrible. Hope you find resolution!
Old 05-04-2011, 12:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by T2005L
So during the nice spring day yesterday I decided I would finally swap out my LP bulbs for LEDs since I've had them for about 8 months now!

The swap went fine, bulbs work good, everyone's happy... NOT

When I went to pop my trunk later on with my key fob to put my golf clubs in, nothing happened. Tried the dash button, nothing. Now I have an issue. Most of you are saying well just open the center console and reach through to the emergency release, right? Well..I have an aftermarket sound system with an amp board thats mounted to the rear seat in the trunk. It gives me about 1.5" of space between the top of the opening and where the amp board starts.

Hmm.. so try using a flashlight and a long stick to reach the handle and slide it over? I broke the fucking handle. Don't know what happened but it slid all the way over to the left and the plastic handle lever is just gone now. Almost like it disappeared into the trunk lining. Does anyone have any suggestions before I take out the back seat and dismantle my whole sound system to get into the trunk? I've tried searching and obviously I'm the only asshole that would have an issue like this, because thats just my luck with a 15 min bulb swap turning into a whole day project

Can you reach all the way through to the trunk lid with a stick? If yes, there's a small hole that you can put your finger in (if you are ever trapped in the trunk) that is a manual release ON THE BACK of the trunk lid. If you have access to put a stick or rod or something in and push that you may be able to open it.

By any chance did you fiddle with the lights in the glovebox area? If yes, check the switch in there and also make sure you plugged in the harness!
Old 05-04-2011, 12:04 PM
Advanced

I didnt go in the glovebox at all. Is the hole in the trunk lid the same one that I'm talking about that I broke? A handle that would slide right to left (looking into the trunk from the back seat)?
Old 05-04-2011, 05:39 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
There is another manual trunk release on the roof of the rear deck under the sub. Open the arm rest in the middle of the back seat and put your hand up where the bottom of the sub would be and there is a little handle pull it and it will release the lock. PM me if you need any more explanation.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:57 PM
Advanced

Just to show you, this is how much room I am working with :/
Old 05-04-2011, 06:00 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hi speed
There is another manual trunk release on the roof of the rear deck under the sub. Open the arm rest in the middle of the back seat and put your hand up where the bottom of the sub would be and there is a little handle pull it and it will release the lock. PM me if you need any more explanation.

In theory this would be a perfect fix, but because I have the luck of a friggin rock it didn't work. As I'm pulling on the handle I tried to use my trunk release on the key fob and still nothing. It's almost like its jammed shut or something, but when I closed the trunk it shut fine with no issues.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:03 PM
Advanced

So here's the deal.. I took out the backseat and got the amp board down and crawled into the trunk through the backseat. I was fumbling around with the lock mechanism and like music to my ears something clicked and the trunk popped open!

My problem still isnt fixed. I took the trunk liner down and was inspecting the whole mechanism. It seems as though I am missing a spring or another piece that connects the part that moves when you press the trunk release to the part that actually releases the lock. I tried to take pics but its too bright out and they didn't come out.

Can anyone reply with a pic of their trunk mechanism with the black plastic piece taken off so I can compare? It would really help