08 TL AC Comp wont shut off

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 02:46 PM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 TL AC Comp wont shut off

I just got a used 08 TL as I had to turn my lease in for my ILX and needed used due to the miles I put on commuting. After I purchased the TL I noticed the other day the AC was not blowing cold at all. I checked to see if the compressor clutch was on when I had the AC turned to low and the fan on high and it was not turning. I went and bought a can of freon and popped the seal on it and checked the gauge and it said the system was full and did not need any freon. So now I cannot return a full can of freon I thought maybe it is the fuse. Well the AC fuse you cannot tell if it is bad unless you replace it. I replaced it and still nothing. I got lucky the I put my hand down on the inside of the engine compartment and accidentally hit a wire with my finger. All of the sudden the clutch kicked on!!! I thought problem solved as it seemed like a loose wire.

Then I was driving later on and decided since the sun was going down to open the windows and turn the ac off. after 15 minutes of driving I noticed the air coming from the vents was ice cold even though I turned the whole system off. Fan off and AC off. Pulled over into a parking lot and popped the hood and noticed the AC compressor was spinning!!! So now I am wondering about that wire my finger hit. I think the previous owner had work done and for a quick fix decided to attach the AC compressor to kick on when ever the fans do. So I tested this today when the car was cooler. I turned off the entire AC system so no fans running. Everything was off. I ran the car until it got hot enough that the engine fans would auto kick on to cool off the coolant. Sure enough the AC compressor kick on also!!

So my question is, why would someone connect the ac compressor to kick on when the fans do? What would I need to do to test out the problem or fix the problem? I am not an AC person but I have enough knowledge to fix it myself with a bit of guidance. I have also attached a pic showing the wires and also noticed a cut wire in the area.

Have to zoom in on the arrows.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:52 PM
Cold Business

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Probably the ac clutch/low pressure switch went bad and they rigged it.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:11 PM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks SocomM4, I will check that out and let you know how it goes. Can't stand people that take shortcuts like this.