'08 MY Type-S Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 02:21 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First post from Newbie with 08 TL-S. Love the look, size, seats, stereo, power and handling.

Unfortunately I have been experiencing vibration in the steering wheel and floorboards for more than two months. It appeared just over one month after purchase and even my passengers notice how bad it is. I switched to new snow tires and rims in November but this did not change anything. It feels like I am driving over ripples and seems to be most prominent between 50 and 65 mph.

At first I thought it was only an issure for the first 10-15 minutes of driving (most of my drives are 25-20 minutes). However, it seems to be there most of the time now, perhaps because it is so cold outside. I also have very noisy suspension but have learned to accept this as standard for this car. The suspension noise seems to be greatest when hitting a depression or pot hole rather than when hittting a rise or speed bump.

This has been a major disappointment and has prevented me from spending any more money on the car such as a remote starter and 3M coating. Although there is lots to love about this car, I am even thinking about selling it and checking out the A5 when it comes out later this year.

I am waiting until I need my first service before I take it in but I still have 40% oil life and am getting tired of the vibration. Actually, there are two more reasons why I am waiting to take it in:

1) I thought they would just blame my tires and rims which I did not purchase from them so I was going to wait until April when I can put the original tires back on.

2) I would prefer not having a bunch of work orders showing the vibration issues if I am trying to sell the car.

As you can see, I am really in a quandry about what to do. I will keep watching here to see if anyone finds a solution. Please remember to post back if you find one and I will do likewise.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:29 PM
Race Director

Received 277 Likes on 161 Posts
striderTL, you got it...

In regards to your passengers feeling the vibration, that's already an issue.

I barely feel it, maybe because I stopped paying attention to it, but I'm 95% sure its my Michelin tires, my road noise is unbelievable, with 2K on car, it seems unreasonable...but that's what happened, a car is built, and then the car sit on those tires for months...)

I'm certain with new tires I will forget this problem. I've noticed the more uneven the road is, the louder I get, and so does the vibration.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:37 PM
Advanced

TechnoKing,

Did you ever get those new tires to see if the vibration goes away?
Old 02-06-2008, 01:05 PM
Race Director

Received 277 Likes on 161 Posts
Anubus12, no, not yet, I'll be waiting for spring, I want to get new rims/tires altogether.

But after driving all over, I've noticed the vibration depends on the road, how smooth it is, I went thru a few patches of road (smooth and grainy) while accelerating and I felt the difference in the pedal..... if you just hit the gas while in neutral or park, there is no vibration, but the moment you hit the road you'll feel it.

I just think there a is a solid metal link between either the engine, drive shaft or the the suspension that somehow connects to the chassis where the pedal are, and it resonates "the road"....
Old 02-06-2008, 04:23 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had issues like this twice before. 1st time it was due to flat spotting on the tires. And the second time it was related to a slightly out of round rim.

Both times they involved stock equipment, and both times changing the tires/rim fixed it.

I doubt this has anything to do with the engine size or torque output. We also have an 07 350Z in the family and it drives more butter than the TL.

I'd start with checking out the wheels.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i may know

hey guys. im a mechanic at an acura dealer in va. the vibration u guys are talkin about may be commin from the front rotors. we just had the same problem in a tls that was in..turned out to be the faulty rotors. and by the way..i just bought my tls 2 days ago..so i dont feel easy either. hehe
Old 02-11-2008, 10:13 AM
J35A8

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Is the vibration more pronounced when it is cold, this morning the vibration was almost intolerable, 12 degrees F, until the tires warmed up.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:10 AM
2nd Gear

Yes, there is more vibration when it is colder. As long as it is not too cold, it seems to go away after the tires are warmed up. Too bad it is winter for five months here.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:37 PM
9th Gear

I have a 08 tl type-s and have the same vibration around 40-60mph, my question is, do we have that same bracket on our cars as do the 04's?? according to the threads adjusting it seem to solve must of their problems, just asking.....