08 Base AT axle issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2024, 05:40 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 Base AT axle issues

I have an 08 TL base model automatic transmission. It kept leaking transmission fluid so I replaced the axle seal. Then while driving the axle completely popped out of the transmission. After checking some part numbers I found that an axle for a manual transmission had been installed. The only difference between the two types of axle is 3 mm of overall length. When it popped out it sheared off the splines on the current axle. I'm getting ready to buy an axle for an automatic transmission and was just wondering if that 3 mm of difference will allow my new axle to click in the way it's supposed to and stay in? The current axle did not click into place when I installed it after replacing the seal. Do you think the inside of the transmission is still good with all of the shearing and what not that has transpired.
Old 06-01-2024, 05:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,465 Posts
Originally Posted by Doggboise
The current axle did not click into place when I installed it after replacing the seal. Do you think the inside of the transmission is still good with all of the shearing and what not that has transpired.
How do the inner splines & Set-Ring (30X2.2) condition look on the end of the driver side axle?
Post a picture if possible?

Old 06-01-2024, 06:17 PM
6th Gear

The splines on the very end are sheared off and I had to remove the debris from the transmission with a magnet. But the ring is new. The old ring that was on it was broken and I replaced it. But it still didn't snap into place when I installed the axle. Do you think the area of the transmission where the axle slides into is damaged somehow and it won't click in properly?

Old 06-01-2024, 08:38 PM
Suzuka Master

^
Ouch!
Just curious, at first, this (now known) manual trans. axle (original or new?) was working fine & fully seated into the differential; however, as a result of the existing continually leaking axle seal, you removed the axle, replaced the axle seal to stop the leak, and then attempted to reinstalled this same axle without hearing the 'confirming click' to indicate it (the axle set ring) was fully seated within the differential. As a result, it later popped out & you have the end spline damage, as displayed in the pictures above & associated destroyed set ring debris cleared from the diff.

If this manual trans. axle had been working fine initially, despite the 3mm difference, I'm kind of wondering how / why it would not reinstall fully back into the diff. upon your completion of the seal replacement?

Last edited by zeta; 06-01-2024 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-01-2024, 08:50 PM
6th Gear

I don't believe the original manual transmission axle was fully seated because it was leaking transmission fluid by the time I got it home. It did stay in long enough to get through a test drive and make it to the house before I change the seal. It was super easy to pull out while changing the seal. I actually changed the seal twice after buying an oem one the second time. I used RTV silicone around the outside and that stopped the leak the second time but both times I reinserted the axle it never did click in even after I got a new circlip on the end. It did stay inside the transmission after the second reinsertion for probably 3 days before I let my roommate drive it and he made it 20 miles before it popped out and was stranded on the side of the freeway. He heard a whirring noise when he tried to hit the gas which I assume was the splines breaking off. The original manual transmission axle that was present wass an aftermarket from GSP that I could barely read the numbers on but figured them out and that's how I found out it was a manual transmission axle. The axle didn't seem brand new but I feel like the person that sold me the car tried to fix it himself and just bought the wrong axle and put it in and said screw it and sold it to me as is. Do you think I should just buy the correct automatic transmission axle and insert it and it should work?
Old 06-01-2024, 09:09 PM
Suzuka Master

^

Understood.
Well, I'm not sure how the original owner went about ordering the axle from whomever; though, as you say something got lost in translation before you came along & purchased the vehicle.

For instance, If you look at the below axle information from RockAuto, it clearly indicates which transmission each axle is assigned to:

It may be worth a 'roll of the dice' to purchase the proper GSP NCV21024, for the auto trans & try to install it to see if you get lucky?
If the new axle, once installed, continues to pop out, then that potentially may indicate differential damage?
Good Luck.
Old 06-02-2024, 02:17 PM
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 150 Posts
I noticed my axles pop out pretty easy too. And I still have the orginal axels. (automatic) I noticed it once when replacing the lower ball joints. The arm had to come off.. And the axels were happy to come out too.. I was like, oopss.. you better go back in there.. *whew* Didnt want to change those axles yet. =) but ya I may need a new Ring too. or it may be that way by design. I dont really know yet. I have not tried to replace the axles. But last winter I did hear the drivers side click once. I am surprised they have held up as long as they have. 135k miles
Old 06-02-2024, 05:16 PM
6th Gear

I've seen videos for Hondas that talk about a distinct clicking noise when inserting the axle. And multiple videos show that it is rather difficult to actually get the axle out. Neither of these has been the case for me and I'm hoping that once I get the right axle that something will change. Even though there's only a 3 mm difference in length between the one I had and the one that should be in there. We'll see. My only other concern really is if there was any damage to the inside of the transmission when the axle popped out and had all of the splines sheared off.
Old 06-02-2024, 05:27 PM
Suzuka Master

^
So, was the GSP NCV21024 the option you went with for the new axle?
Looking forward to your update of this thread when you get around to trying the new axle reinstall.
Old 06-02-2024, 07:30 PM
6th Gear

I haven't ordered the replacement yet. Going to do a little shopping and see what's out there besides exorbitant prices from the Acura dealership. I will definitely post when I have completed the project. Thank you for your interest
Old 08-04-2024, 09:11 AM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Doggboise
I haven't ordered the replacement yet. Going to do a little shopping and see what's out there besides exorbitant prices from the Acura dealership. I will definitely post when I have completed the project. Thank you for your interest
Any update on which axle you chose? I ordered the GSP's myself and will be installing those by next week and would like to know any experiences.
Old 08-04-2024, 10:25 AM
6th Gear

I

I ended up just going down to O'Reilly's and picking up the cheapest one I could and it clicked right in and it fixed everything
Old 08-04-2024, 12:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Wow, almost double the price for HO8217 'local' availability from O'Reillys vs. RA: