07' TL Type-S Front Calipers Leaking at 50K OUCH!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 11:58 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07' TL Type-S Front Calipers Leaking at 50K OUCH!!!!

Hello, Could use some expert advice. I have an 07' Type-S (automatic Trans) w/ 55K miles and noticed yesterday the front brake pad tabs rubbing so got up early this morning and was the first person at the shop. Type-S pads in stock and rotors Ok to be turned so I'm on my way and will be out of here for well under $200!

Good news quickly turned to bad, after closer inspection technician notices very, very minor evidence of fluid seepage (i saw it myself and its small) from one of the front calipers, Game Over! They inform me liability concerns prohibit them from continuing the work unless they replace both front rotors at a total cost of $1,200, WTF! Being a holiday weekend cannot get parts until next Wednesday.

First off I'm very disappointed that the calipers have evidence of leaking at 55K, that is unacceptable for an Acura in my opinion. If I wanted a full brake repair every 50K I would have stuck with domestic Big 3 vehicles!

I'm currently unemployed so any advice on getting this fixed at the best possible price would be greatly appreciated?

Can the original Brembo calibers be rebuilt with new seals and reused?

Should I even consider aftermarket calipers for this job?

Should I tackle this as DIY job (I'm very mechanically inclined just been a while since I turned a wrench on a car!)

Since I'm out of warranty any suggestions for petitioning to Acura dealer for a good will consideration of calipers leaking at such a low/moderate mileage?

I look forward to any responses.

Thanks

Hannaman
Old 09-06-2009, 01:48 PM
Burning Brakes

im pretty syre they will goodwill you...... your on 5k over how is your relationship with you dealer have you had anything done there oil changes, tire rotation, etc etc .....from experince dealers dont like when you come in just for warranty work even tho they still get paid.....i don't know where you live but if you live in the NYC area i would recommend Rallye Acura they dont even look at my mods they always warranty everything i need
Old 09-06-2009, 01:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
This is what came up for '07 TL-s:
From Acura:ACURA TL PISTON SEAL & BOOT SET $18.13
They can be rebuilt easily, but takes time and some knowhow.
If it's just some seepage, I'd clean it up with some brake cleaner, install the pads, and inspect it in the future. The pistons/seals aren't going to blow out and leave you without brakes.

Problem with the dealer is that they are considered wear items, and as such I wouldn't think that they would be covered even if you were under warranty.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Turbonut
If it's just some seepage, I'd clean it up with some brake cleaner, install the pads, and inspect it in the future. The pistons/seals aren't going to blow out and leave you without brakes.

Problem with the dealer is that they are considered wear items, and as such I wouldn't think that they would be covered even if you were under warranty.
i agree the pads and rotors wouldnt be covered but seapage in the caliper would deff be warrantied
Old 09-06-2009, 02:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 1fsthatch
i agree the pads and rotors wouldnt be covered but seapage in the caliper would deff be warrantied
Yup, you got me! Rotors and pads are not covered, but the caliper should be.
Old 09-06-2009, 03:22 PM
6th Gear

I recently relocated to Indianapolis and unfortunately, I bought my TL-S when I lived in Chicagoland so I have no relationships yet with the Indy based Acura dealers. I'm not looking to get anything for free but a leaking caliper at 55K give me a break!! They should replace the seals out of maintaining their high level of reliability. I'll see what they say Tuesday. Thanks for the advice.
Old 09-06-2009, 03:33 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Turbonut

Great point Turbo, Thanks. Boy if you could have been there they saw that minor minor seepage they were like no way we can touch this vehicle you may experience complete and total loss of your brakes. I guess they thought I was born yesterday!

I found a DIY article on changing these pads and it looks way simple!

Any recommendations on a replacement brake pad at a good price?

Lastly, under braking the vehicle still stops silky smooth with zero pedal pulsation so there is no rotor warpage at all however there is some minor grooving on the rotor, that being the case do you think I can get away with changing the pads only now and waiting it out for new rotors and caliper rebuild?

As I mentioned, I'm unemployed so I need to get this repaired safely but with minimal out of pocket at this time.

Thanks, Hannaman
Old 09-06-2009, 03:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Yup, just clean the caliper with brake clean, install the pads and you'll be good to go. You can even roughen up the rotor surface with some fine emory cloth, or even some fine sandpaper and clean the residue away and you'll be good to go. Easy replacement on the pads with Brembo calipers.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:42 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Changing pads (and rotors) is very easy.

I agree that the caliper can be rebuilt and *should* be a warranty item. Try the local dealer - be your usual nice, extra-freindly self - and maybe you'll get lucky with some goodwill.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:40 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Never go to these shops that offer brake jobs for $99.. they omit the part where they look at everything with a magnifying glass so they can gouge you and bend you over before leaving the place. I wouldn't be surprised if he rubbed some BF on the caliper seal.

Clean up the caliper with some brake cleaner as suggested and change out the pads yourself. Bleed all 4 lines and change your BF to a higher rated fluid. If you notice any BF leak after the pad & fluid change, take it to Acura and report the issue.. hopefully they'll cover it.. if they deny the claim, be persistent but professional and demand to speak with the district manager. Acura won't rebuild the caliper since it will take too much time.. it's definitely a DIY job if Acura wont cover it... but again.. it's probably just an upsell from the place you went to..
Old 09-15-2009, 09:30 AM
Advanced

I have the same problem on a '05 6mt. I did my pads/rotors yesterday and when I pulled the pads i noticed that the calipers are leaking by the pistons on the left side. Im just going to leave it for now, it seems to be leaking very slowly *knock on wood* and the fluid reservoir is still pretty full. Im just gonna keep an eye on it until it gets worse. Let us know how you resolved the problem. i'm at 62k