'07 TL Bad Engine Issue Today... HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 07:58 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 TL Bad Engine Issue Today... HELP!

Hey guys,

My 07 TL's with engine with 43xxx miles(CPO vehicle I bought used in April) started shaking violently today. I could feel it at idle around 1000 RPMs and especially when accelerating and backing up. The check engine light is flashing, too. When I opened the hood, the engine was physically shaking and vibrating back and forth. After doing some internet searches, it seems like it's either a spark plug or engine coil issue. At worst, could it be the timing belt?

What confuses me is that at 9AM this morning I felt nothing, and when I left work around 4ish it's like I was in a completely different car.

Regardless, I called Acura Roadside Assistance and they contacted a tow company to tow my car roughly 60 miles to the nearest dealers (so relieved I don't have to pay for that tow bill..) Until tomorrow, when I hear from the dealer, I'm left wondering what the heck is wrong with my engine.

I really just hope the issue is not severe and I get my car back on the road as soon as possible.

Anyone who has had this issue or knows what I can expect for an outcome please let me know. Thanks!
Old 02-05-2011, 01:11 AM
私を知らない

I'm not sure why the CEL is on, but the shaking sounds like bad motor mounts.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:57 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is auto?
Old 02-05-2011, 04:11 PM
Banned

To OP,
On all ODBII equipped cars (TL included) the only time the check engine light will flash is during a engine misfire. Could be any number of combination of things....but if you have the acura care warranty I would just let them fix what ever they need to and it should run well again.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:42 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Originally Posted by 04TLVTEC
To OP,
On all ODBII equipped cars (TL included) the only time the check engine light will flash is during a engine misfire. Could be any number of combination of things....but if you have the acura care warranty I would just let them fix what ever they need to and it should run well again.
That's a good point. A blinking MIL indicates rapid/frequent misfires (misfires frequent enough to damage the catalyst system). But the MIL should stay on when the misfires stop...

There could be many causes for this. The dealer will know more when they are able to read the codes that were thrown with the MIL.

Last edited by nfnsquared; 02-05-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:55 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the responses guys..

The car is an automatic transmission. They told me they would look at it Monday and let me know the issue. I just hope that this issue doesn't spin off into future issues or more threatening issues.

Until I get my car back, I'm rockin' a 2011 Polished Metal Metallic TL as a loaner!

I'll update this thread as I hear from the dealer and get things fixed.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:50 PM
Advanced

Here's an update...

I got a call from the dealer today and they had done the following:
Diagnosed it was a multiple cylinder misfire
Replaced spark plugs and coils
Replaced cylinders that were faulty

After all that, still no success. I'm not happy.

Wednesday the car will be getting a new fuel injector.

My question to you all now, why is this happening to a 2007 with 43xxx miles on a vehicle known for its reliability, low repair costs, and overall low cost of ownership for its class. I bought the car Certified PreOwned.

So what now? I have only had it since April of 2010. Do I get rid of it and move on so I don't have future problems?
Old 02-07-2011, 07:53 PM
Advanced

Also, they said something about replacing a "computer" in the car? What could this have been?
Old 02-07-2011, 09:25 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yah that def sucks, thank god its under some type of warrenty. Acura Client services isnt exactly helpful when out of warranty. 06 and 07 are supposed to be great years for TL s. if it was up to me i would sell that car after it is fixed and move on get another 06-08 TL.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:40 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by GCSIMON
Here's an update...

My question to you all now, why is this happening to a 2007 with 43xxx miles on a vehicle known for its reliability, low repair costs, and overall low cost of ownership for its class. I bought the car Certified PreOwned.

So what now? I have only had it since April of 2010. Do I get rid of it and move on so I don't have future problems?
Are you paying for this or is it being covered under warranty?
Old 02-07-2011, 11:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
Here's an update...

It could be as simple as getting a bad batch of gas in your car or the ECU shorting out for some reason. The dealership is going by the book in respect to troubleshooting.

Just asking, do you use premium fuel (91+ Octane)? Have you recently gotten gas at odd gas station? have you been in a fight with someone recently? (vandalism)
Old 02-08-2011, 07:44 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by csmeance
It could be as simple as getting a bad batch of gas in your car or the ECU shorting out for some reason. The dealership is going by the book in respect to troubleshooting.

Just asking, do you use premium fuel (91+ Octane)? Have you recently gotten gas at odd gas station? have you been in a fight with someone recently? (vandalism)
Everything is covered under warranty for this vehicle.

I always put in 93 octane when fueling, and consistently go to the same gas station.

Not sure what you mean about the vandalism question.. I'm a very nice respectful person. What could someone have done to cause this much of an issue??
Old 02-08-2011, 07:51 PM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Not sure what you mean about the vandalism question.. I'm a very nice respectful person. What could someone have done to cause this much of an issue??[/quote]

Me too.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Typical of a dealer to start throwing parts at it. Tell me if this makes any sense at all: The car ran fine in the morning. It developed a multiple cylinder misfire by the afternoon. So they replace multiple coils and plugs.... The level of stupidity of dealers is amazing. What are the odds that multiple coils and plugs went bad at exactly the same time....

Most likely it's a fueling issue.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:35 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Typical of a dealer to start throwing parts at it. Tell me if this makes any sense at all: The car ran fine in the morning. It developed a multiple cylinder misfire by the afternoon. So they replace multiple coils and plugs.... The level of stupidity of dealers is amazing. What are the odds that multiple coils and plugs went bad at exactly the same time....

Most likely it's a fueling issue.
I actually spoke with a gentleman that runs a hole in the wall Honda/Acura repair shop right near me, and ran everything by him that Acura was saying and what I had experienced. He too, thought it was a fuel issue.

I'm learning a lot about my car this week, although it's more than I want to know
Old 02-08-2011, 09:39 PM
Race Director

Everything is covered under warranty for this vehicle...
Hehe, in that case, let 'em have at it. At this rate, you'll have a new engine in another week

And yeah, I concur with IHC. Not a chance multiple plugs/coils failed simultaneously. That should've been way on down the list, although we still don't know what codes were present.

I'm guessing you have an ECM problem. Your misfire adventure is also characteristic of a slipped timing belt, but then you wouldn't have regained normal operation as you did either.

New cylinders? You mean pistons or new heads?

...Not sure what you mean about the vandalism question.. I'm a very nice respectful person. What could someone have done to cause this much of an issue??
I think he means something like Brasso or sugar in the gas tank...

Last edited by nfnsquared; 02-08-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:27 PM
Advanced

Just got a call from the dealer...

There is no compression in cylinder #4 and they apparently found water in the engine (forgive me I'm not great with the engine parts and names of the parts).

Basically, they're looking for a cracked part to account for the water from getting inside.

I had to authorize a $545 job even though my car is CPO because apparently there is a chance the water getting in was no a warranty issue? I'm not too worried, I believe they will find some sort of malfunctioning part in which would be covered under warranty.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
This reads like a horror story. Stay positive and keep us posted.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:12 PM
Team Owner

Just got a call from the dealer...

There is no compression in cylinder #4 and they apparently found water in the engine (forgive me I'm not great with the engine parts and names of the parts).

Basically, they're looking for a cracked part to account for the water from getting inside.

I had to authorize a $545 job even though my car is CPO because apparently there is a chance the water getting in was no a warranty issue? I'm not too worried, I believe they will find some sort of malfunctioning part in which would be covered under warranty.
Head gasket. It should be covered but you never know. Did you ever have to add coolant?
Old 02-10-2011, 09:33 PM
Cruisin'

I have a friend who is having this exact same problem. Everything you just described.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:55 PM
Race Director

Yeah, two 07 TLs in the same week. Hope we don't have something starting...Update us when he knows something...

Last edited by nfnsquared; 02-10-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
Everything is covered under warranty for this vehicle.

I always put in 93 octane when fueling, and consistently go to the same gas station.

Not sure what you mean about the vandalism question.. I'm a very nice respectful person. What could someone have done to cause this much of an issue??
Originally Posted by johnny3
Me too.[/QUOTE]

Some people in this world can be pretty cruel. I was just asking since sometimes people are crazy enough to vandalize property such as keying a car, etc. I was thinking that either you got contaminated fuel, or someone may have vandalized it such as pouring water in the gas tank or some other contaminant.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:30 PM
Advanced

Here's your update...

The dealer called me this morning. Water damage in the cylinders. Wait it gets better...

They will not cover this under warranty- I have to get my insurance involved. My deductible is $1,000.

I have talked to multiple, and I mean multiple people in the business about this issue. I am frustrated, upset, feeling sick to my stomach about this issue.

It gets worse.

The dealer could not be any more rude to me. The second they decided this was no longer a warranty issue, they demanded the loaner car back. Umm, what? Seriously?

They play dumb on the phone.. I don't even have to patience to type everything that they were saying to me.

Let's make it more interesting. I'm only 21, but a mature educated 21 at that. My dad is now involved. He called Acura corporate and talked to our attorney about opening a claim against the issue.

I wish I could tell you the issue has been solved, but I think it's more realistic I have yellow crime scene taped wrapped around my car at the dealer tonight.

This is not the experience I was looking for out of my first car that I pay for all myself as a token of my hard work at such a young age.

Help.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:32 PM
Advanced

My favorite quote:

Me: I hope this experience doesn't give me reason to not be motivated to purchase future Acura's from you...

Service Advisor: Yeah, I hope not.

*%$#!!!
Old 02-11-2011, 06:25 PM
Race Director

Is a compression test done on CPO cars, anyone know?

Have they said anything about a blown head gasket yet? That's the most likely culprit, although kind of rare at only 43K miles.

What do you know about the car's history? Did the engine ever overheat on you? It's also possible the previous owner abused the engine and was able to unload it before symptoms started showing....

Anyhow, that sucks. If it's a BHG, highly unlikely it's covered under CPO, but you should do a little research and read the find print on your CPO contract.

It might be worth hiring an independent mechanic to take a look at the engine. If this goes to your insurance company, they might do that anyhow. Good luck and keep us updated...
Old 02-11-2011, 09:10 PM
Race Director

Do you have a CAI? If not, then that would practically be impossible without your car floating down the street.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:11 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Do you have a CAI? If not, then that would practically be impossible without your car floating down the street.
No intake on my car.. I have it as stock as it gets.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:26 PM
Advanced

Some pictures for you...

Last edited by Bearcat94; 02-14-2011 at 11:35 PM. Reason: fixed pics
Old 02-11-2011, 09:27 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,982 Likes on 14,493 Posts
THat is a load of horseshit...I hope your Dad gets things resolved.

Tell them they can have their loaner car back but you can't promise them the condition it's going to be in if they don't fix this problem that should be covered. WTF does someone buy CPO for then if you come a grand out of pocket down the line.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:38 PM
Advanced

Does anyone know of the time frame for the engine to start to misfire once water enters the engine. Could it have been water sucked in a week before the incident? Or would it had to of happened precisely the time the engine began to misfire? Basically, I'm just trying to pinpoint anything here, a day that was rainy, car wash, etc.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:07 PM
Race Director

Does anyone know of the time frame for the engine to start to misfire once water enters the engine. Could it have been water sucked in a week before the incident? Or would it had to of happened precisely the time the engine began to misfire? Basically, I'm just trying to pinpoint anything here, a day that was rainy, car wash, etc.
The effect would be immediate. Water sucked in through the intake would hydrolock the engine and stall it (if not bend/break rods). Attempts to restart with the water still in would damage/bend/break rods. There's no way your engine had water damage from the intake...

And your car wouldn't misfire, then run normal for a while as it did.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:12 PM
Advanced

The effect would be immediate. Water sucked in through the intake would hydrolock the engine and stall it (if not bend/break rods). Attempts to restart with the water still in would damage/bend/break rods. There's no way your engine had water damage from the intake...

And your car wouldn't misfire, then run normal for a while as it did.
I had it towed to the dealer the first time I felt it misfire- I didn't want to risk anything. Literally, I started it up, felt the rough idle, then drove it about 500 yards, parked it and turned it off, left it for about 10 minutes, started up again and still got the engine shaking. It was towed right after that.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:38 PM
Race Director

Ahhh. I think I confused your chain of events with another thread. Regardless, neither rain nor a car wash is going to cause water to get into the intake. Without a CAI, you would have had to drive through a puddle probably at least 2 feet deep, maybe deeper. And then your engine would've most likely been ruined within seconds...

You need someone who is smart on car engines (no offense) to do battle with this dealer. They're totally BSing you...
Old 02-11-2011, 11:54 PM
Team Owner

I'mI've only got a minute but don't ok any work and don't pay for anything. This is very easy to win. I'll explain when I get home. Its 90% a headgaslet issue. Water in the cylinders that entered through the intake would be gone in less than 1/4 second. If you drove it 500 yards there would be no trace of water. However, a blown headgaske will fill the cylinder with water when the engine is off. A simple smog sniffer at the radiator cap would prove its a headgasket.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:59 PM
Advanced

nfnsquared and I hate cars:

You guys have been very helpful to me which I appreciate.
Did you check out the pictures I linked to in post #28?
Old 02-12-2011, 05:16 PM
Race Director

Cyl #4 intake valve gone?? Can't really tell for sure which cylinder that is....

Last edited by nfnsquared; 02-12-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:40 PM
Team Owner

Sorry i'm out of town and all I have is my phone which will not zoom on the pics. Did they remove that EXHAUST valve or did it break off?
Old 02-12-2011, 05:59 PM
Race Director

Sure looks like it broke off...
Old 02-12-2011, 06:18 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Is a compression test done on CPO cars, anyone know?

Have they said anything about a blown head gasket yet? That's the most likely culprit, although kind of rare at only 43K miles.

Anyhow, that sucks. If it's a BHG, highly unlikely it's covered under CPO, but you should do a little research and read the find print on your CPO contract.
Pretty sure CPO does not get a compression check.

He shouldn't need CPO warranty anyhow. He's under 50k miles; powertrain is 70k. Right?
Old 02-12-2011, 06:32 PM
Advanced

Again, thanks for all your help with this situation.

Here is where things stand:

-Wednesday an insurance claims rep is going to the dealer to assess the job on the car and declare whether it will be covered or not.

-In the meantime, I'm in contact with Acura corporate about getting the dealer to cover this under warranty.

-The dealership has the car obviously taken apart. I think it's best I let them finish the job, whether it be through my insurance or by corporate telling them to warranty it.

I'm done with trying to play detective and try to figure out what happened and why it happened. I just want the car fixed and back on the road.

Quick Reply: '07 TL Bad Engine Issue Today... HELP!