'04 TL Transmission... ya another post

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 11:36 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down '04 TL Transmission... ya another post

So I have searched and SEARCHED the forum regarding MY 04-08 AT transmission issues.

Here is my issue...

starting gears 1-5 is cake... works like a champ! No lights, no problems.

Once in 5th, I slow down. USUALLY once I get below 40 MPH the car automatically shifts from 5th to 4th. USUALLY......

Recently I have been experiencing what essentially amounts to no downshifting. I get to 30-35 MPH and the damn car does not downshift to 4th. I actually have to slap the car into manual mode and drop it down to 4th. Afterwards it is fine. No issues at all downshifting from 4th to 3rd and so on. While the car is in 5th and I am cruising at 65ish I let off the gas to intentionally slow down. I get down to the 45 range and lower waiting for the car to downshift, but it will not do it. The RPM's stay literally at 1900-2100 and will not move even though I am slowing down. The car stays in 5th until I manually move it down to 4th.

Anyone experience this????? Less than 5K ago, I had done a pretty major service on the car. I replaced the AT fluid. I used standard recommended fluid from HONDA. No problems.

If anyone had input then I would love to hear it. I have not gotten the car diagnosed by anyone yet, but will be soon. I have heard horror stories and a few blessings in disguise in the threads/posts I have read.

Thanks again for any input/advice!

Jason
Old 05-11-2011, 08:18 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you replaced your 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches? That plus NOT using Honda ATF is the standard operating procedure around here. Redline Racing ATF is the most popular, AMSOIL makes a Type F, Redline D4 are options as well. Just get that Honda fluid out of there and swap out the switches.

I'm not an expert by any means, but what I've stated is the norm around here for the most part.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:17 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Are you sure that the trans isn't operating normally? I would think that it would stay in highest hear until it must downshift...and it wouldn't necessarily have to go to 4th from 5th.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:59 AM
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Will stay in 5th as it gets all the way to 0 MPH? Sounds like it could be normal, but get those pressure switches changed and get some good fluid in there.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:08 AM
10th Gear

The only reason that I did put HONDA ATF in there was when I did the change, it was under extended warranty. Now that it is not I will switch.

3rd and 4th gear pressure switches being changed would effect this issue? Hey its cheaper than a new tranny so I am willing to try first.

It literally takes the car until 35MPH or less to downshift on its own, all while the humming is coming from the passenger floor board. The issues is when it gets to that point the RMP's stay at like 2200 and dont move at all.

I will start with the pressure switches...

Thanks gents!
Old 05-11-2011, 01:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jda123
Will stay in 5th as it gets all the way to 0 MPH?
I don't think that was ever mentioned. Eventually it will downshift but I don't know if it has to go 4/3/2/1. I think that it stays in the highest gear without dropping down to idle.

It literally takes the car until 35MPH or less to downshift on its own
That sounds about right if you're just coasting to a stop.

Either way, changing the switches is a good idea if they haven't been done.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:02 PM
10th Gear

Changing the switches, is this a DYI job? I am pretty mechanicaly sound, just wondering...

Thanks again
Old 05-11-2011, 02:22 PM
Racer

DYI...look for the switches thread and you'll find all the info on changing them. Find a vendor here and you can get the switches and washers together. I think they're about $36 ea from them or twice that from the dealer.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:43 PM
Racer

There is a sticky at the top of the 3G forum for the "Service Department" where you can find a ton of information including this thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/110-diy-guide-replacing-3rd-4th-gear-pressure-switch-3g-tl-2004-2006-a-729149/

It has the instructions on changing the switches, part numbers and I think some people list where they bought them from.

Good luck!
Old 05-11-2011, 04:07 PM
10th Gear

Got it!!! After i sent the PM I found that I was being a moron with the search function.

Thanks again!
Old 05-11-2011, 09:07 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Forget downshifting under decel conditions, not important...... Does it downshift as it should when you give it throttle? If so, don't worry about it. The RPMs can't go too low, the torque converter won't let them. Some cars will slow down to 30mph before downshifting out of top gear.

The torque converter has slip, plus there are sprag or one-way clutches that will allow the trans to freewheel. Using RPMS to judge what gear it's in is not accurate.

Last edited by I hate cars; 05-11-2011 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:44 PM
10th Gear

The car shifts as it should when I give it throttle yes. I just find it odd that it literally will seem to hold it in 5th, skip 4th completely and end up in 3rd if I am coasting to a stop/slowing down. The other troubling things the sound. more/less a vibration from under passenger floorboard. When this sound occurs the RPM's stay at 2200 for the most part.

I hate cars - I ordered the aforementioned switches and will do a fluid flush. Is there anything else you recommend me doing other than this "preventative" maintenance?

Thanks,

Jason
Old 05-12-2011, 01:54 PM
Dogmatic Dinosaur

If you have a 04-06, then change the transmission filter too. There are some DIYs in the 3G garage.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:15 PM
5th Gear

What is the most miles you have seen from a AT 3rd Gen TL? I thought the issues were resolved in the 3rd Gen. Also my TL has almost 105K and i was going to change the 3rd and 4th gear switches and 2 dealers advised aginst as the "car will trip a code if they become defective" I am looking to avoid tranny rebuilds at any cost.... Please advise. I just purchased my TL a few months ago.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:17 PM
Dogmatic Dinosaur

The code will trip when the sensors send a signal out of range, but not when the signal that is in range is inaccurate.

Say, for example, that the senson sends resistance from .4 to 3.2 ohms. Anything below or over will trigger a CEL light. ...but if 20 PSI should be at 1.6 ohms, but it is sending 2.4 ohms, then it can damage your transmission even though both signals are in range.

...so in range and accurate are not the same thing.

Tangent : Oh, the dealerships are code readers and part swappers. If any of them get good at actually thinking and trouble shooting, then they are soon to be gone to make better money at a different shop. They are not out-of-the-box type of people.

Last edited by jda123; 05-12-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:24 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
You have a lot of reading to do. Read the transmission and switches threads and everything will be answered. It takes a miracle for bad switches to set a code. I've seen only one ever and that's counting the 2nd gen guys yet we've had a ton of bad switches causing trans failures. Honda has not caught on, I used to think they were ignoring the obvious problem, now I have to go with stupidity. Do yourself a favor and do not listen to anything Honda says.

Edit- Not talking to JDA lol.

Last edited by I hate cars; 05-12-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:53 PM
10th Gear

UPDATE***

So my wife took the car to work this AM. She gets 90% of the way to work and is stopped at a light. She accelerates when light goes green and RPM's to 3300ish and goes nowhere. Puts the car in man. mode and is able to get moving, but extremely sluggish. She essentially limps to work and parks the car. NO lights on the dash, MY blinking lights in the transmission tree... NOTHING. I ordered pressure switches and have redline ready to go...

I have a feeling in the pit of my stomach that I am SCREWED here.

My question are as follows...

1. Should I take this car to an ACURA dealership as opposed to a HONDA dealership. Honda is like 15 minutes away, Acura is 30+. From the posts I have read, seems like Acura is more willing to actually help versus Honda.

2. I need advice as to what to say to Acura Corporate to get the best desired result.

One las thing... I do all of my own maint on the car. I have not taken it to a dealer for anyting. I am extremely handy and have acces to a garage and lift, but I think this will work against me in this case... Any more input is appreciated...

Jason

p.s. If anyone has any local advice for me, I'd apprecaite it. I live about 30 minutes north of Seattle, WA.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:14 AM
10th Gear

Update again***

Got the car to Acura dealer. Transmission is toast. 5K for a new one. GRRR

Called AOA and got a case number, hopefully we will see some goodwill. Something is better than nothing at all.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:05 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
When did these problems occur, did you do anything different that may have led to this, ie fluid change, switches or driving habbits? Year and mileage?
Old 05-17-2011, 03:03 PM
10th Gear

I change the tranny fluid every 25K. The wife is the one driving this car. To be honest I do all the maint on the car. She drives the car pretty easy. She barely knew that the car had a "sport shift" mode. Ha. Initial problems began on the 10th. Ordered pressure switches and no sooner did they arrive I had the car at Acura. Had the issues where car lurched into and out of gear, then eventually stayed out of gear all together.

At this point I was quoted literally $3 shy of 5K for a new tranny (rebuilt) with at 3 year 36K warranty. I am just praying that Acura will show me some love and give a guy a break with regards to the repair cost. They call it "goodwill"... so we shall see.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:33 PM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
How dare youn let your wife drive this car when it was having major issues as it was to have her alm,ost get stranded . I'm giving you a hard time. After you get this transmission, when you get it home, swap out that ATF for the RedLine Racing ATF fluid. I'm sorry this happened to your wife and her car. Keep us posted. We're here to help in full. The Redline you'll notice a big difference in shift feel and responsiveness.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:41 PM
10th Gear

Dosen't that void the new warranty I will be getting from Acura? I also have the new pressure switches sitting on my workbench. I hear that Acura on a rebuilt tranny does not replace these, they use the old ones, so I will be using my new ones or giving them my new ones to use.

I am all for the 3x3 and the redline, I use it in my Audi, I just don't want to screw my warranty....

Thoughts/Input???
Old 05-19-2011, 12:10 PM
10th Gear

Last UPDATE ***

Acura said NO. Plain and simple. Oh well.

Got a transmission from a wrecking yard off another 04TL with 55K on it. I got it for 1200 bucks and will pick it up in a couple days. Going to slap the new(er) tranny in myself.

Since that tranny is under 60K is there any warranty from Acura at all? Not that I care at this point, my car is so far out of warranty that I just need to get it working again.

J
Old 05-19-2011, 12:24 PM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by jmgraham78
Last UPDATE ***

Acura said NO. Plain and simple. Oh well.

Got a transmission from a wrecking yard off another 04TL with 55K on it. I got it for 1200 bucks and will pick it up in a couple days. Going to slap the new(er) tranny in myself.

Since that tranny is under 60K is there any warranty from Acura at all? Not that I care at this point, my car is so far out of warranty that I just need to get it working again.

J
The warranty will go with the car which is gone. Put all the new switches you have in and Redline Racing ATF and hope foe the best. I hope all goes well.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:03 AM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea, I had similar problem. I was going from Seattle on the I-90 up the hill approaching the pass and my tranny went out. It had only like 57k. So I was screwed, but God has sent me this awesome mechanic (my dad). We removed the tranny, disassembled it, found out that 5th clutch drum was burnt. so i bought some new clutch plates from tranny shop and we put it all back with ATF Z1, and thank God it works so far. Now i have like 63k, but it shifts kinda rough. I plan to replace the 3rd and 4th switches soon....
Old 06-03-2011, 09:17 AM
8th Gear

update: Just replaced my switches on my 06 tl. the gears switch somewhat smoother =) . cost me $108 at honda dealer (including: 2 switches +2 washers+tax).
Old 06-10-2011, 07:41 AM
Advanced

So I thought I'd chime in. I had a problem with my tranny too. Its an 04 with 97km (not miles). I bought the car from the original owner who bought it in late 03. The car has always been serviced at the same Acura dealership for the last 6+ years of ownership. Anything the car needed - it went to Acura. After I bought the car 4 weeks ago I start ripping it around. Noticed the gear shifts very roughly under hard acceleration. I take it to Acura and they tell me the tranny is toast. I asked the original owner if he ever got the tranny switched after the recall. He said no. However, he was kind enough to come with me to Acura and speak to the service manager and show him the recall notices and all service reciepts (which after 6 years turns out to be a pretty hefty binder of paper). Thought we'd take our chances. They put the car on the hoist and run some additional tests. I leave the car there for the weekend and a few days later an Acura head office inspector came to take a look at the car. They approved the new tranny. And after speaking to the service manager, he tells me that the only reason the inspector approved it is because the car was always serviced at Acura and the car met all of its inspections before they were due. Hence they could not rule out customer negligence. The car has been there since sitting on a hoist. I got a call from Acura last night saying the tranny has arrived from Japan and fingers crossed, I will be picking it up today. So I guess, only those that have had the car serviced by Acura for the life of the car have somewhat of a chance to get the tranny replaced free of charge from Acura.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:47 AM
Advanced

One more thing I forgot to mention, the other piece of info is that had the original owner not been there with me fighting the tranny issue, they would not have honored it. I guess it worked out that the car wasn't transferred in my name yet. (he forgot to go to the MTO to hand them the Used Car Vehicle Package to finalize the ownership swap). I guess Acura is loyal to their original buyers. Didn't think this was the case, but alas it is.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:15 PM
5th Gear

Hey gang - It is best to always do a drain and fill rather than a full tranny flush? on 05 TL
Old 02-13-2019, 02:30 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Holy thread revival !!!

The short answer is yes - 3 x 3 and NEVER do a flush.