'04 TL Headlight Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 09:52 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation '04 TL Headlight Problem

Hey!!

I hope someone can help me out!! I have an 04 TL. One of my headlight was out. Its not the fuse or bulb. Recently changed the ballast and now its two different colors lights!!! HELP??

Not only that, I would have to flicker it a few times for it to come on. This is the passenger side. Can this be something electrical? IDk HELP please!!
Old 04-30-2013, 11:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,321 Likes on 1,600 Posts
Two different colors lights?
One is normal one is pink?
The following users liked this post:
bee1icious (05-01-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 12:51 AM
Make it so

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Thumbs up

If they are two different colors, then it is the bulb that is the problem. The xenon headlights that our TLs have start turning pink (commonly referred to as "pink-eye") as they approach the end of their operational life.

The only other thing I can think of is that your igniter assembly is out. It is another component of the headlight assembly. My passenger side headlight went out two years ago (I also have a 2004 TL) and it was the igniter that needed to be replaced.
The following users liked this post:
bee1icious (05-01-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 06:49 AM
4th Gear

not pink, one was blue and the other one is white.

Originally Posted by MEKO
Two different colors lights?
One is normal one is pink?
Old 05-01-2013, 06:54 AM
4th Gear

I also changed that when I changed the ballast since it came together when I bought it. Now the only major problem is that I have to keep flickering it for it to turn on

Originally Posted by DuoDSG
If they are two different colors, then it is the bulb that is the problem. The xenon headlights that our TLs have start turning pink (commonly referred to as "pink-eye") as they approach the end of their operational life.

The only other thing I can think of is that your igniter assembly is out. It is another component of the headlight assembly. My passenger side headlight went out two years ago (I also have a 2004 TL) and it was the igniter that needed to be replaced.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:27 AM
eg5
user title goes here

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
seems like you bought a different bulb than oem.
are the replaced components new, oem?
Old 05-01-2013, 01:09 PM
Make it so

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Thumbs up

If your lightbulbs are one white, one blue, that means you bought mismatched bulbs. Plain and simple. And at the very least, the blue-tinted bulb is NOT OEM, because our TL's OEM bulbs NEVER become blue through any kind of use. They only get redder (aka pink, as was mentioned earlier).

Not all bulbs are the same- not only do you have to get ones that actually fit the TL (which you did, otherwise it wouldn't work at all), but the same color temperature rating as well. That's what the Kelvin (K) rating on bulbs refers to.

Our TLs are 4300K (warm-white) OEM for the bulb color temperature. Any higher, and it is closer to blue in color, which is what one of yours clearly is. Any lower, and you get closer to the red-orange end of the spectrum.

Ideally, what you should do is buy two of the same bulb and replace them at the same time. Otherwise, one bulb will go out before the other, and the colors will never match as the bulbs burn-in to their full color temperature through regular use.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:18 PM
4th Gear

I did get new bulbs that match afterwards, however to keep them on I have to flicker it a few times! what do i do then?? PLease help me!!!!

Originally Posted by DuoDSG
If your lightbulbs are one white, one blue, that means you bought mismatched bulbs. Plain and simple. And at the very least, the blue-tinted bulb is NOT OEM, because our TL's OEM bulbs NEVER become blue through any kind of use. They only get redder (aka pink, as was mentioned earlier).

Not all bulbs are the same- not only do you have to get ones that actually fit the TL (which you did, otherwise it wouldn't work at all), but the same color temperature rating as well. That's what the Kelvin (K) rating on bulbs refers to.

Our TLs are 4300K (warm-white) OEM for the bulb color temperature. Any higher, and it is closer to blue in color, which is what one of yours clearly is. Any lower, and you get closer to the red-orange end of the spectrum.

Ideally, what you should do is buy two of the same bulb and replace them at the same time. Otherwise, one bulb will go out before the other, and the colors will never match as the bulbs burn-in to their full color temperature through regular use.